Installation

W

winlok

I got half-life a long time ago, but I was having trouble installing it. I thought the game was so good I kept iot even though it wouldn't work. Anyways to make a long story a short, I was using Norton Anti-Virus at the time. It appears it was the culprit all along. Apperently this game is not the only one.

My question is I've installed Steam, because I had to.

When I click on the Half-Life 2 icon, I directs me to Steam. Now I did a search to see if this has been asked before, and their was a recent post where they said configure Steam to offline mode. How do I do that? :p

What are you attempting to do? If you wish to purely play Half-life 2, you'll need to launch it by going to 'my games' and double clicking Half-life 2. You can play while Steam is connected to the internet. Have you logged into your Steam account you registered HL2 to?

If you are saying Norton prevents Steam from launching any games, I'm pretty sure offline mode won't help you. Steam will need to update your HL2 files fully before you can put Steam in offline mode, therefore Steam will need to connect to the Internet properly at least once.

You may as well try it though. Click 'file' when Steam opens, then click 'go offline'.

What are you attempting to do? If you wish to purely play Half-life 2, you'll need to launch it by going to 'my games' and double clicking Half-life 2. You can play while Steam is connected to the internet. Have you logged into your Steam account you registered HL2 to?

If you are saying Norton prevents Steam from launching any games, I'm pretty sure offline mode won't help you. Steam will need to update your HL2 files fully before you can put Steam in offline mode, therefore Steam will need to connect to the Internet properly at least once.

You may as well try it though. Click 'file' when Steam opens, then click 'go offline'.

What I meant to say was at the time (a long time ago), Norton was preventing me to setup Half-Life 2. That is since resolved. What I wanted to knopw is how to configure Steam to offline mode.

EDIT: I did a search on the Steam site. And it gave me step by step instructions.

Now it when I go to launch the game it says "the game is currently unavailable please try later". I am trying to update my files, it's taking forever. Is it supposed to be like that? :p

Depends on you Internet connection, if your on dial-up it's gonna be painful. It's should only take an hour or so on broadband. The game must be 100% updated before it will let you play.

Back