Intresting. Gabe Hints at Portal Gun in EP2.

Tuskin

Spy
Reaction score
The first time I heard this was on the Nebacular (SP?) Drop forums, when someone said that you could use the Portal Gun in EP2 after beating portal, Jeep replied, but he neither confirmed nor denied it.

The second time I heard something similar was in the IGN Gabe interview.

(Find the Orange Box on IGN and look at the latest video.)

He said something about after beating the 18 challenges you can mess with it in the half-Life universe.

"...we put you through these 18 challenges then put you into the real-world, and let you run around in that, it (Portal) is walking you threw to that point so we know people have this internalized sense of how it works"

So, thoughts?

Killing combine with the Portal gun would be awesome. and if you can shoot threw Portals place one above a combine one on a wall and shoot threw.

He probably meant some outside portal maps unrelated to ep2.

Cause that wouldnt work in ep2. Every single character would have something else to say and somehow change the storyline.

"HEI U GOTS PORATL, USE IT FOR THE WIN GODRON!11"

I dont think thats what he means. He is saying it will start with the training levels then get to the REAL portal levels with more story etc.

But I've read there is only 18 levels in Portal.

I've found the thread where i first heard about it.

http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2109

and

http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2109&view=findpost&p=14394

That last one apparently has a quote from Jeep. "In Portal you can load almost any level within the other Orange Box games and play on it within Portal (with the portal gun), you will be able to use other guns when you do this."

He replied to the thread only confirming he had a Q&A session at digipen, he didn't confirm the "Playing other levels in portal" part. Never denied it either.

A GCF mounting system built-in Portal, thats pretty wicked.

I bet it will override the gravitygun, but obviously still won't affect any dialogue.

There around 18 levels, with 3 difficulties.

So, 48 levels.

About as far back as I can remember, I am sure there was talk of the gravity gun recieving an upgrade in episode 2. At the time, this was thought to be the strider buster, but there might be more to it...

Oh man, there'd be so many ways to use this against an opponent in a game arena, and most of the ones I'm thinking of now would be rather fun.

Why did they spell through as threw?

I just had an awesome idea! But it's probably saved for Episode Three if true. Gordon gets the ASHPD somehow, and is sent to the Combine Overworld with it!

Valve's done it before. Remember the long-jump module? Not much to do on Xen without it? I imagine fighting the Combine on their own turf (Citadel was a cop-out) will require some fancy space-time bending to survive moment to moment.

I imagine the Advisors wouldn't tolerate any Free Man in their domain for very long. Vaguely like Halo 2 and that prophet: "Guards! Get that demon out of my sight"

Yeah, it'll probably never happened.

There would be little necessity for Valve to bed Portal down into the Half life Universe unless we are likely to see the Portal technology in effect in Gordons world at some point, though whether it is during EP2, or EP 3 is another matter.

Well that might of ruined the ending. Do you think at the end you are just let go? Outside the aperture facility?

Nah, just a simple unlocked bonus that has nothing to do with the real story.

There would be little necessity for Valve to bed Portal down into the Half life Universe unless we are likely to see the Portal technology in effect in Gordons world at some point, though whether it is during EP2, or EP 3 is another matter.

aye, I'm not sure if it'll come into play at all but I'm guessing ep3 not 2 if it does

It would probably be used to make strider legs fall through the ground to be honest.
I don't think that the gun would be used for a large amount of the game.

i think the portal gun would be better reserved for a specific lvl time like the citadel and the super grav gun..

The game mechanics of the portal gun simply won't work properly in Ep2.
It's mainly large, open areas, so you should be able to shoot a portal in the floor and then shoot the other portal at a mountain in the distance, arriving on said mountain. However, Ep2s levels aren't going to be that big (the mountains will be completely separate from the rest level you're in, in the same way that the Citadel was, if I'm not mistaken) so you wouldn't be able to do that. That and you could leave Alyx behind easily and a hundred other reasons why it wouldn't work.

I am el Chi. I am here to crush your dreams.

el Chi speaks all the troofs.

Gabe doesn't mean. Not gonna happen.

It's mainly large, open areas, so you should be able to shoot a portal in the floor and then shoot the other portal at a mountain in the distance, arriving on said mountain. However, Ep2s levels aren't going to be that big (the mountains will be completely separate from the rest level you're in, in the same way that the Citadel was, if I'm not mistaken) so you wouldn't be able to do that. That and you could leave Alyx behind easily and a hundred other reasons why it wouldn't work.

Not to mention the countless areas where they've removed part of the level to get better performance, as well as countless of velocity exploits you could do by jumping through the portals.

An entire argument based upon unfounded assumptions:-

1) You'll acquire/gain access to the Portal gun in the outdoors rather than inside a defined arena (like the Enhanced gravity gun)

2) That the Portal gun doesn't have a range limitation (and won't be able to therefore shoot into the sky box as you attest).

3) that Alyx would be with you when you acquire the Portal gun (who says she's there through all of EP2?, she clearly gets injured at some point based on the footage so far)

Personally I'm inclined the think that the Portal gun will come into play in EP3 rather than EP2, however it's almost certainly going to be a limited weapon like the enhanced gravity gun, confined to a particular chapter or two rather than a general weapon.

I am Kadayi Polokov (nuff said really) :dozey:

If Alyx is with me the Portal Exit will be the ceiling over my head and the Portal entrance below Alxy's feet. Yes Alyx, there is room for two in this suit.

Would be cool if someone made the portal gun so you can use it in EP2 all the time

Back