Introducing Steam Tags

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
A new preview page on the main Steam store page has revealed a brand new feature for the service, known as Steam Tags, which will allow users to add descriptive tags to software and game in order to improve the categorisation of titles. Tags can be used to quickly find and identify game titles with particular traits, themes, and attributes in specific genres, helping to further streamline the Steam experience.

edit_tags-png.24704
Users are free to tag games and software with whatever terms they like, and regularly applied tags will become set categories, grouping certain titles together based on similar characteristics, such as those quoted on the official announcement page, which include whether a game is difficult, if a title is focused around puzzle solving, or if it has military themes. Popular tags can be easily browsed to find relevant content which may suit your tastes, something which is enhanced by the user-specific "Tags Recommend for You" section on the "For You" drop down box available on the Steam store page.

recommended_tags-png.24707
Tags fully support the diverse range of languages available on Steam, allowing individuals from across the globe to categorise and browse game titles in their native tongues. For example, if a user tags a game in Russian, the tag will only be available for users with that set language, as English speakers would only be able to view tags set up in English.

Those of you looking to exploit the system with rude words and profanity are sadly out of luck, as a FAQ at the base of the announcement page reveals that "Swear words will be filtered out and not appear among popular tags".

Sorry.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 7,488
  • edit_tags.png
    edit_tags.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 13,744
  • recommended_tags.png
    recommended_tags.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 12,525
Bwahahaaaa

Clicked the For You tab, then Recommended by Steam and got....... a selection from my wishlist! Damn, Steam, you know me so well....

The "Not Half-Life 3" tag has been removed and can't be added anymore.

Oh, also, I think this tag system is a really good idea.

Please start selling movies and music, Steam. Only running one program for all my media would be so nice.

"Swear words will be filtered out and not appear among popular tags".
I wan't to tag Farming Simulator with Cocks. Because I believe there's a lot of cocks in that game.

This reminds me of of when HL2.net had post tagging but instead of "need a dispenser here" it's "not a game", "bad", "garbage" and "fish AI".

ríomhaire, Oli already made that remark in a more clever way.

Ho, ho.

Just like the tag system on hl2.net turned out.

Back