Iron Grip released!

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Suffering Stalin! Wait year for slick hybrid Source mod to appear, and two come along at once! What are chances of that, eh comrades? Iron Grip, now available for download, is making combination of RTS and FPS game-styles - pits evil totalitarian RTS gamers vs rebellious individualist FPS gamers in snowy fantasy steampunk republic! Click image to download, or you will all be execute!
[br]
[br]If image not display (what? You have image turned off? Afraid of penis surprise, coward?) then click here for list of mirrors or here for team fatherpage! Now forward as one, comrades, for the decidedly uncommunistic joys of computer gaming and personal pleasure!

ROFL, great one sulkdodds :p

O, i recommend spreading out players, the 11+ player games are lagg madness :p Its more focussed around smaller amounts of players (i love the 5-7 ones).. :)

It's not bad, I won't play it ever again but it still is a nice little mod to keep you going.

Hmm, is the gameplay anything like natural selection? *IE the way the commander in RTS view can interact with the others in FPS view*

from what i got from reading.

its FPS resistence vs. RTS oppression

Holy crap! I just tried it, and much like ES, it has lag issues (which I'm guessing has to do both with the Source engine and with it being a pre-alpha :p) but even so, it's quite cool. I must take back my previous displeasure with the weapon models- although they look ugly in screenshots, they actually look great and fit the game perfectly.

from what i got from reading.

its FPS resistence vs. RTS oppression

NOW it makes sense, lol. No wonder players always owned the RTS side. I wonderd why it was like 10 v 1 in servers. :D

Worst mod ever.
it is extreamly boring.
and extreamly laggy.
I am going back to Empiers.

Hmm the general is way to easy to kill and really hard to keep alive, and the infantry spawns are redicolously easy to camp....

I just played as the oppression, and i couldnt get any infantry out as they had a machinegun killing them as they appeared. It has a lot of potential to be fun but at the moment at least that map is pretty crap as the oppression. the command interface is abit clumsy so far as well

Have all Half-Life 2 mods that have come out have lag issues? That's all I ever hear about.

Have all Half-Life 2 mods that have come out have lag issues? That's all I ever hear about.

Pretty much.

What's up with that?... Source is supposed to be mod-friendly yet every mod has some sort of lag issue.

I guess I'll pass on this mod from what everyone's saying.

I think source is only laggy when you add viechles and A.I. in the mix...?

Ill give this a try, think the team deserves that much from everyone for all thier efforts :)

yeah, that'd help a lot. HL2DM gets laggy with all the physics going on, even with vehicles and stuff in mods it'd get pretty bad! X_x

ZOMG! Source modding has officially reached fruition!

/buys new PC componants for great justice

Pretty much.

What's up with that?... Source is supposed to be mod-friendly yet every mod has some sort of lag issue.

I imagine they started to build off an old version of HL2 DM, which was uber laggy

I think source is only laggy when you add viechles and A.I. in the mix...?

Our vehicles didn't have lag before the SDK update, I haven't played the mod since the update, so maybe they might lag now. But I doubt lag is caused by the vehicles. Also, people complained about lag on ES aswell, i encountered lag twice that resulted in a server crash, so again, the mod itself runs good, i think the lag problem is a valve/steam problem. But Valve wont bother helping mods atm since they got their own shit to deal with, which makes money (tf2/portals) so i doubt the lag issues will end soon :/

Pretty much.

It is advised you don't pass on these mods being released in alpha. The idea is people play them and give feedback and help IRON-out the creases. If no one tries them it's pointless, everything is worth a try. I'll be playing tomorrow to see what this is really like to make my OWN opinion. I found ES to not be laggy for me, and the space combat enjoyable. Proof that you can't trust fickle gamers.

Worst mod ever.
it is extreamly boring.
and extreamly laggy.

You cannot base opinions on people like above who: a) have no consideration for the hard word that goes into modifications, b) could well be biased, and from the Empires mod fanbase/development team, c) Cannot spell 'extremely' or 'Empires' correctly.

Have your own mind guys! :)

Our vehicles didn't have lag before the SDK update, I haven't played the mod since the update, so maybe they might lag now. But I doubt lag is caused by the vehicles. Also, people complained about lag on ES aswell, i encountered lag twice that resulted in a server crash, so again, the mod itself runs good, i think the lag problem is a valve/steam problem. But Valve wont bother helping mods atm since they got their own shit to deal with, which makes money (tf2/portals) so i doubt the lag issues will end soon :/

Well, I think it's just that a lot of modders haven't really had to worry too much about net code performance in mods for HL1 and such. Now, we have a lot of calculations we have to do and send across the net, to make things more advanced and "next-gen" (I don't think that term can really apply to mods to much, but you get the idea).

Us, ES devs already know the problem for our mod, and a patch will be out hopefully within days... We implemented Network LOD so the client won't get overwhelmed with data, and I think if Iron Grip does something similar, or finds a way to send less data, then it should be good. I haven't played the mod yet, so I'm just giving some suggestions on our experience.

The Source net code is good if you use it right. I agree that it could probably get a "next-gen" treatment as it's pretty much the same code they've used since CS 1.6 and before IIRC (probably some enhancements, but nothing to really change it too drastically).

Well excuse me for not having English as my origenal lenguage, i forgot that the whole world has to speak it perfectly.

From what i've been able to tell it's because they all are using a radar of some kind to track player positions. They have the position(and all other stats) of every player on the radar updated each time the server sends the client new info.

ps, the above is mostly just guessing, but it makes sense to me :eek:, the empires changelog said they reworked the radar to help with lag.

Well excuse me for not having English as my origenal lenguage, i forgot that the whole world has to speak it perfectly.
Thats not the main problem you should be looking at, its your attitude. These mod teams put absolute shedloads of blood and tears into their work and you brush it off that quickly. Theres a proper way to express a dislike or criticism towards a mod.

From what i've been able to tell it's because they all are using a radar of some kind to track player positions. They have the position(and all other stats) of every player on the radar updated each time the server sends the client new info.

ps, the above is mostly just guessing, but it makes sense to me :eek:, the empires changelog said they reworked the radar to help with lag.

Our lag was never much of a problem with too much network traffic but with the server cpu getting overloaded and dropping down into the 10 fps range. That's what I suspect is the problem with this mod. IG using the standard HL2 AI (according to them on their forums) probably wasn't that good of an idea as it was designed for single player. Every time the server has to calculate what a NPC is going to do, it takes up cpu time. A regular player thinking and calling its movement code takes up about .2 ms per cmd * 7 cmds avg per server frame = 1.4 ms per player * 32 players = 44.8 ms/frame. If we assume that 10 regular players and the extra NPCs take up as much time as 32 regular players, that leaves us with a FPS of 1000 ms/sec / 44.8 ms = 22 FPS which is barely playable. If anything else is added onto that (turrets, physics, etc), you're looking at becoming unplayable as you go into the teens. NPCs can be optimized to only do roughly 1 cmd per server frame, but the default NPC code is not optimized like that as valve wrote it for single player. Network traffic isn't much of a problem as you're really only sending origin, angles, and misc info for each entity in the world.

Worst mod ever.
it is extreamly boring.
and extreamly laggy.

Your comment is completely ignorant and uncalled for! I havnt even played the mod yet but after reading this I just had to say something! Back on topic however it is strange that almost all source mods released have some sort of lagg issue!

Thats not the main problem you should be looking at, its your attitude. These mod teams put absolute shedloads of blood and tears into their work and you brush it off that quickly. Theres a proper way to express a dislike or criticism towards a mod.
i dont like the mod.
In my opinion this is the worst mod i have ever played in terms of game desigen.

Our lag was never much of a problem with too much network traffic but with the server cpu getting overloaded and dropping down into the 10 fps range. That's what I suspect is the problem with this mod. IG using the standard HL2 AI (according to them on their forums) probably wasn't that good of an idea as it was designed for single player. Every time the server has to calculate what a NPC is going to do, it takes up cpu time. A regular player thinking and calling its movement code takes up about .2 ms per cmd * 7 cmds avg per server frame = 1.4 ms per player * 32 players = 44.8 ms/frame. If we assume that 10 regular players and the extra NPCs take up as much time as 32 regular players, that leaves us with a FPS of 1000 ms/sec / 44.8 ms = 22 FPS which is barely playable. If anything else is added onto that (turrets, physics, etc), you're looking at becoming unplayable as you go into the teens. NPCs can be optimized to only do roughly 1 cmd per server frame, but the default NPC code is not optimized like that as valve wrote it for single player. Network traffic isn't much of a problem as you're really only sending origin, angles, and misc info for each entity in the world.

Thanks for this feedback, it does help alot. :) We have worked alot on optimizing the AI, removing as many schedules as possible, but it still seems to be more fitted on LAN then on Internet.
We'll be working hard to optimize more.

Most mods experience a fair amount of lagg on first release, mainly due to the lack of good dedicated servers and an overload of people trying to play the game. Hell, even when Hl2DM was released it was terribly laggy for a small while, but as soon as good server started popping up things settled down. Nowdays, the game runs smooth as butter for the most part. Give it some time.

i dont like the mod.
In my opinion this is the worst mod i have ever played in terms of game desigen.

The team put in some much time and effort into making this, and then some ignoramus goes and says, "OMG WORST MOD EVER". FYI, it's not nice when you're on the receiving end. Trying making a mod yourself. You might think what you've done is good, but others don't agree and complain about it sucking. It's not very nice.

I'll give it a try over the weekend.

The trailer didn't really excite me too much, but I'll still give it a whirl.

Back