Iron Grip released!

Have all Half-Life 2 mods that have come out have lag issues? That's all I ever hear about.

Without being too technical about that question: The problem is that most of the teams have a bunch of beta testers to check the game out, report bugs, etc. One thing you really can't test is a so called "stress test" for the servers. Which means run the game and the server under public conditions. Cause you need alot of players to do so. Especially at that point you release your mod to the public and let them "test" it. That is why performance problems show up after the first release. Really not a big deal, cause all that can be fixed. We at ES had the lag problems, which is going to be fixed. And I am sure those guys at Iron Grip use your feedback, too, and fix the bugs that have been reported.

Just finished playing it for the first time. Gotta say, this is a really fun mod. It has that potential, at least. I happened to get into a server where the oppression finally got someone who knew what he was doing, and evened things out a bit. Before that, the round would be won after 30 seconds.

I was really disappointed to see that the game doesn't really offer the guerrilla warfare thing, since 10 resistance players can walk right over an inexperienced commander. But when player skill allows it, it's great fun.

Also, the camera for the commanders. Not so good, no. Having it at an angle would be better, since it would increase the line of sight a lot. Also, use the common controlscheme of "left click to select, right click to move". using left click for everything rubs a lot of people the wrong way these days.

There's also another thing I think the IG people should think about. When you're playing an RTS or for the sake of argument an Action RPG, what's the big deal with bosses in these games? They have 1)shitloads of health and 2)badass firepower, neither of which the Rahmos commander has. Make him an eight foot tall Stalin look-alike in full body armor with twin missile launchers or something. Make us fear him, not run up to him and put a pistol to his face, like I did.

That's what I think. Balancing could use some work, but when things come together well, it's a hella lot of fun.

Yeah the general really really weak. Redicolously so. And the spawns for infantry is also quite bad, several times i have seen a single mg keep me from building any infantry at all.

Oh and why does it have to switch to the train each time i want to build something, fairly annoying and should be fixed. double click if i want to move to the train. Ummm shift+click should add units to your current selection. Things like that would help make playing the oppression alot easier and smoother.

To paraphrase Pi - The reason there's so much lag in these mods is because idiots are content to run 16 player listen servers on their home computers.

-Angry Lawyer

That was very politely paraphrased :)

Damn this mod seems pretty wicked... too bad it's just rather impossible to play yet. Once these mega-lagggg issues have been corrected I'll be seriously playing.

I liked the level with massive building.... pretty slick looking. Maps needed bit more detail... more propaganda and graffittis on the walls and some trash on the ground... and a pinch of obstacles in the mix.

As said, it has potential, plenty. I really like the athmosphere.

I think this is one of the first MP mods with music in the background. Nice touch.

I've been following Iron Grip for a long time, and it has always seemed like a very excelent premise for a game. After playing it briefly, I stand by that. However, there are serious issues, all mentioned already, so I won't flog a dead horse here. Let me just extend a huge congratulations to the Iron Grip team, and here's hoping some of those issues get fixed soon!

yes I am afraid of penis surprises ..that's why I use ghostzilla: 100% penis free

Lot's of helpful and technical feedback snipped here
This summarises everything that's awesome about the modding scene - it's the equivalent of Ubisoft dropping by on the EA forums and helping them fix a bug! It really brought a glow to my heart to see such awesome co-operation and genuine helpfulness :)

**** off, it did!

Also: Woo, can post in this section of the forum again \o/

Oh and is it just me or are the oppression soldiers abit too weak? I mean if Im guarding a bridge or anything and i see 5 soldeirs come up the road ill just stay and kill em, usually quite easily. This really doesn't promote the guerilla warfare the resistance is supposed to fight. We need more dangerouns oppression soldiers so if you see them coming to you, you hide, call backup and ambush them.

But i guess so far alot of the problems come from newbie commanders that dont know what to do, so well see how it plays in a few days

And yes why do people insist on running 16+ player servers non dedicated on brand new mods? Its just... well retarded?

It's got great potential for sure and the lads will Iron out the lag issues without a doubt.

My only suggestion right now is to fix up the Music, It's great of course but it overlaps, cuts off and another peice starts, It's kinda all over the place and distracting.

wow.... i noticed absolutely no lag when i played last night.. guess im just lucky or on a good server. the game is VERY unbalanced tho, resistance pwns oppression every single time =/ and this on 5 v 1 servers not the 11 v 1s.

Indeed more power to the oppression, force the resistance to fight guerilla warfare. I think you need to limit their lives somehow so they dont just suicide rush and spawn again.

Some sort of ticket system for the resistance maybe? That will force them to fight defensivly and not waste lives by attacking overwhelming forces head on, but to use the map and ambush the Ramos forces.

to be quite frank, i have not been impressed at all. I really want to be-

i have only been able to run this mod once... i can barely ever get a stable version going- and it is beyond discouraging to have to reboot my computer, launch the game, thinkin i will most likely have to reboot again.

It is insanely buggy for me, Idk what else you want me to say- but it seems a stable game is few and far between.

let me know if i can help you out in any other way.

The resistance part has been stable so far, but sometimes it bugs and i get both a rifle and a smg and such, kinda wierd. But the oppression players keep crashing, but i think thats a known bug by now

runs fairly well for me, strangely. The only prob i've found is that currently the rebels have it oo easy. i'm too hungover for anymore typing...

Great Mod

I noticed right away Lag had to do with too many players, I was getting heat becouse of my 200ping in an american server, but I kept showing them when players left the game runned better, later I could join an Euro server and runned much better (less players)

Issues Ive seen.

The Opressors are the opressed here, comander has to sweat to keep the general alive, my idea strafing away from the tall armorued stalin someone pointed to, is well you have a military train, make it shoot!!!!, resistance should first have to shoot the turrets out then take out the general, this fixes the camping mg at infantery spawn, and the resistance rush in small maps and makes a little safe place for army deploy and makes it realistically harder to kill the allmighty rhamos army

It takes a LOT to capture a point that should be looked at too.

Talking about the resistance, could it be posible to select spawn points or at least have one fixed, its a bit disturbing to spawn at other places far from the other players.

Running with the map out is funny but I would prefer a little compas in the hud, but this will get old as soon as people knows the maps of course.

I found a bug with the hmg guy I suppose both have it only played the obese one, when the game finishes and you have the hmg deplyed the next round lets you use it and move at the same time

The tanks, ah the tanks are a bit confusing I dont know when a tank is alive untill it starts turning or it shoots me :D Its nice and realistic to have dead tanks but removing the turret like it had exploded would be ideal.

The maps, im afraid I have only played two online, the ambush snow map and the little town map, had a problem beeing comander int he town map since It showed the ambush? (snow map) minimap, zoom needs to be implemented in the comander view, this is the same problem than with empire mod, to be able to see into the buildings or have a higher view when needed.
I suffered from an evil riot tank that killed me firing thru the downed zeppelin in ambush map, I could hear the bullets hitting metal, and see the muzzle flash thru the structure of the zepp.

Very good work, the characters are superbly done, the maps are very very good, keep up the excellent work :cheers:

Played a few rounds yesterday and was doing quite well as the oppression each time until it shits the bed right when the grip clenches, which is really frustrating. Each time you play as Oppression it does this.

Also need to sort out that music, having multible tracks playing is just insane.

There's no need to keep all those dead tanks around, it looks cool at first but after a while no one can move anywhere when theres like 12 tanks dead blocking up the maps.

I played a few lag-free matches last night, and I wasn't terribly impressed. Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the spawn issues on some maps - it was common to have half the resistance team be telefragged at the start of every round because there weren't enough spawn points, which is pretty inexcusable in terms of map design. Anyone can slap down more spawn points.

Also, while I'm on the maps, they are pretty bland and lacking not only in captivating geometry but playable space. There are all kinds of lame choke points where destroyed tanks get bunched up, the AI soldiers bumble through and bounce off one another, and a single Resistance member sets up a thighpod machine gun and racks up the kills. I'd suggest more buildings to go into, logical design of the towns, and elimination of some of the chokepoints, because it really does tip the balance way too far in the Resistance's favor.

As far as the actual gameplay goes, the concept is interesting but the execution is pretty half-assed right now. The RTS interface is extremely buggy and the commander of the oppressing forces is more often than not fighting for his life within a few minutes. A clever Resistance player can end the game in under a minute if he knows where to go, too, which is kind of ridiculous. I'd suggest tipping the balance much more in the favor of the oppressors by beefing up the enemy AI, taking away some of the more powerful Resistance weapons (they can still be there, maybe as pickups from dead oppressors or "omg secret nazi room" finds), and giving the commander some troops and vehicles from the start. Aren't the Resistance supposed to be outmatched?

The weapon models and sounds are excellent, though, and I have to say that pump-action rifle is pretty badass. Good work on that.

Jsut played on the only decent server, sure crappy ping for me but 6 polayers max (YAY!) and we had a nice commander who hid his general and was sending out nasty tanks and whatnot everywhere. Graet fun, we set up ambushes with mg's to keep him from taking our flags etc. Juts the way its meant to be played.

anyway make it clearer how to upgrade your troops for the ramos, alot of people dont know how, make the general invincible or able to hide in the train at the start for like 3-4 mins allowing the oppression to start building an army. Maybe an even longer freeze time for the resistance, just to let the oppression at least get 10-15 units in the fields, or even better let him start with that and put mg's on the train to protect the spawns.. Otherwhise this is great fun, and really shows how much fun it can be to fight massive hordes of AI units if you work together.

Most importantly the Rahmos player didnt crash a single time during the 1 hour or so we played.

Jsut played on the only decent server, sure crappy ping for me but 6 polayers max (YAY!) and we had a nice commander who hid his general and was sending out nasty tanks and whatnot everywhere. Graet fun, we set up ambushes with mg's to keep him from taking our flags etc. Juts the way its meant to be played.

anyway make it clearer how to upgrade your troops for the ramos, alot of people dont know how, make the general invincible or able to hide in the train at the start for like 3-4 mins allowing the oppression to start building an army. Maybe an even longer freeze time for the resistance, just to let the oppression at least get 10-15 units in the fields, or even better let him start with that and put mg's on the train to protect the spawns.. Otherwhise this is great fun, and really shows how much fun it can be to fight massive hordes of AI units if you work together.

Most importantly the Rahmos player didnt crash a single time during the 1 hour or so we played.

On a good server its really stable; I spent an hour trying to get it to crash on our test server.

Back