is inception about to kick ass?

Honestly, the only things I think of that seemed a bit forced and unbelievable are the concept of the Forger and Limbo (yeah, the kicks are a little bit eh, but I feel if I went back through the movie again and deliberately worked at it it could make perfect sense). Limbo was a good idea, and perfectly necessary, but between the going back and forth between different limbos that belonged to different people and contained other people without the bother of the how or the why, just seemed like a deus ex machina. As many have said, this movie is entirely driven by a really cool premise which required way too much of the movie to set up thus forcing a lack of decent emotional investment and possibility for writing, but it all works out because of a really really cool climax and some wonderful themes.

You might need to elaborate on this or edit your post or something, because a deus ex machina is a plot device that instantly saves the protagonist from immediate danger, without any prior anticipation or reason. It's literally an excuse to save the protagonist from a certain death.

I've got a lot of qualms with Inceptions writing, but I can't honestly say I saw that anywhere in the film?

Deus ex Machina just means God out of the Machine: doesn't specifically have to be about saving the heroes, just has to be some unbelievable thing that comes out of nowhere (and possibly saves the heroes). However even with that, what he's describing still doesn't fit.

Going between different limbos doesn't really happen, its all Cobb's limbo world because he was the only one who had been there before. This is a point that is stressed when they are discussing limbo on Level 1. The fact it's his world might also explain why he doesn't age, an alternative was that he went up to a higher level from the knife wound and then died again much later on to get to limbo and find Saito.

You can nitpick about all the logical inconsistencies if you want, and hell, the movie practically invites it. But just because it would be a better movie with every kink ironed out doesn't mean that the film is intrinsically bad for having them in. When you are watching that film, it's a damn good film. Its only after you leave the cinema that its image is tarnished a little.

Poor choice of words I suppose. I really just meant that the complete intricacies of Limbo are never really delved into (atleast for me, it seems you understood it better) enough to explain how everybody keeps ending up in the same place. Seems kind of bullshit that everyone would go into Cobb's limbo because he'd been there before, and I never realized the knife would re-limbo him so he could go see Saito.

I'm showing up late to throw in my tiny pennies (hah).

Inception is a great movie. It's not the most complex movie and you can tell 2/3 in the movie when they're still explaining the premise that it was written and directed to be more friendly to the mainstream audience's world. I loooooove psychological thrillers and this is amongst the best out there in terms of design and execution. The story, while not overly complex, is well told and cohesive.

I saw it the day it came out I just never come in to this section...

JiPqw.jpg

Sure, I don't expect any problems in reuniting the children with a suspected murderer. Especially after the Saito job fell through and he was on the run from Cobol. Seems like a nice environment to raise children.

*inception music* Braggg. *inception music* Bragggg. *inception music* Braggggg....

BRAGGGGGGGG

Who the hell gives xmas gifts in september? Lame!

Back