Is it legal?

Mujuro

Reaction score
I own a legit version of Windows XP Home, but it doesn't have SP2 on it. Is it legal to download a version off the internet that includes SP2, create a bootable disk, and use my legit CD-Key on it? Sorry if this isn't appropriate...

.... if you don't have SP2, you can just download it through Windows Update.

But I want to install it while I install Windows XP, similiar to slipstreaming the install disc.

... why not just download it, if you'd otherwise download a full version of windows. YUO NO MAEK SENS!1

as for your question, no, it's not legal.

Mujuro said:
I own a legit version of Windows XP Home, but it doesn't have SP2 on it. Is it legal to download a version off the internet that includes SP2, create a bootable disk, and use my legit CD-Key on it? Sorry if this isn't appropriate...

Call Microsoft and ask them. I guess 2 things. One it is illegal, and two, you are going to download it anyway.

The easiest way would be to install Windows XP then update to SP2 right away before you install programs.

I have seen someone make their own custom Windows XP boot disk with updates like SP2 so it's an all-in-one install. Not sure how to do it though, never cared to learn how.

Yeah, that's a slipstreamed disk. I may try that.

If you paid for it, I personally see nothing wrong in obtaining another copy of the internet for backup purposes, or for haivng SP2 installed during the install process.

I lost my Linkin Park Meteora album during my recent move . . . . looked everywhere for it. Decided to eventually download it, really like it.
I spose its a matter of opinion really.
I have paid for my copy of the album, I just wanna listen to the songs I paid for.

But who these days really care about whats legal about downloading stuff anyway?

Even if you decide to, I would be very carefull as to where you download it.

I'd bet that majority of the illicite XP dowloads out there are trojans.

Wouldn't wanna see a HL2.netter get hit by the trojan man :x

EDIT: WEE!!! 1,111th post!

Well, my version is perfectly fine . . . . its legal, oh yeah
Has SP2 already

Been constantly runnin virus scans, usin avast and nothing, no virus.

But I spose there are some evil ones out there too, so please do be cautious. Run a full virus scan with the latest definitions and highest heuristics before you connect to the internet if you do decide to proceed in downloading a new copy of windows.

BTW, I assume you are going to use your bought Key while installing

It depends what kind he downloads. An OEM CD Key will not work with a Retail XP CD. I found that out the hard way. Luckily I have a copy of XP that has unlimited licenses so...I can install a legit copy of XP on anyone's PC.

gweedodogg69 said:
It depends what kind he downloads. An OEM CD Key will not work with a Retail XP CD. I found that out the hard way. Luckily I have a copy of XP that has unlimited licenses so...I can install a legit copy of XP on anyone's PC.
oooh would you care to share?

Nah just kidding

The version of windows XP that I got i think is similar, it does not need to go through WPA at all. think its the Corp edition or somthing like that was in the file name.

Don't those "corporate editions" cost like, what, 500 USD?

If you download a free program called nlite http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html you can download the sp2 installer and use that program to slipstream the service pack into your current xp cd. its pretty simple to do, and you can also customise it alittle more with that prog, like put on sata/raid drivers so you don't have to use teh floppy disc when you are installing xp. Its a cool prog, totally customised my xp for a faster reinstall, removed a heap of crap I don't need. Recommend that program.

Back