is L4D replacing half-life?

Is L4D replacing Half-Life?

• yes, It is replacing Half-life completely

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • yes, it's starting to become more significant than Half-Life

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • no but people need to pay half-life more attention, and valve need to work on episode 3 over L4D 2

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • no that's a stupid suggestion

Votes: 41 54.7%

• Total voters

blackout

Spy
Reaction score
now don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking left4dead, but I'm starting to think it is replacing Half-Life as valve's title series, with all this hype about L4D 2 during the period when impatient and desperate fans are waiting for news on EP3, etc. I'm not saying it's overrated, I've played the demo and its awsome! but I think it's starting to take popularity/significance from Half-Life, I think people are starting to forget about valve's greatest and most important creation.

opinions?

no that's a stupid suggestion

I like L4D and all, but I'd rather Valve started working on Ep3.

I think people are worrying because of valves media focus at the moment, the way I see it, Valves goal for post Half-Life 2 releases was they wanted to have somthing to release each year, to avoid the blackout with their customers that they had during the later development of Half-Life 2, originaly this was to be the Episodes, but by their own admission, half-life games of any size take a long time to make.

I believe they simply realised that their next Half-Life game in whatever form, will take a long time to finish, so they keep the attention on the current years release, which in this case, is the much faster to build L4D2, they have said themselves that the director and such cuts alot of the development time down, they can add stuff in without needing 3 years of testing, its just a faster platform for pushing a release, I dont believe they have abandoned the Half-Life franchise, and I reckon their have been other projects underway since even before the Orange Box shipped. Valves a much bigger company now than they were 5 years ago.

oh yeah don't get me wrong I'm not saying that I think they've abandoned Half-Life, It's just L4D seems like their main focus and more important right now.

If you picked option 3 you're ignorant of how Valve work.

Totally different IP's . . . totally different style of game play . . .

If you picked option 3 you're ignorant of how Valve work.

I consider Left4Dead 2 being too soon. They could have turned their attention more to Episode 3 and released L4D 2 some time after that for all I care. And no, I don't see why that would cualify of being ignorant. I'm not the only one with that opinion, there are lots of people that want Episode 3 more than Left4Dead 2. It's basic company common sense to give the customers what they want.

no that's a-

Oh
Someone already made that joke

And no, I don't see why that would cualify of being ignorant. I'm not the only one with that opinion, there are lots of people that want Episode 3 more than Left4Dead 2. It's basic company common sense to give the customers what they want.
You're ignorant of how Valve work.

I suppose you were complaining that they delayed HL2 too much by working on CS:S and DoD:S at the same time? Or maybe TF2 and Portal caused unacceptable delays when it came to Ep2 being released?
They can work on multiple projects at once and doing so isn't necessarily much less efficient than simply working on them sequentially. Do you really think the Turtle Rock guys they took in for L4D would be better being assigned to Ep3 for example? Or the guys who tend to work more on net coding or designing multiplayer maps?

now don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking left4dead, but I'm starting to think it is replacing Half-Life as valve's title series, with all this hype about L4D 2 during the period when impatient and desperate fans are waiting for news on EP3, etc. I'm not saying it's overrated, I've played the demo and its awsome! but I think it's starting to take popularity/significance from Half-Life, I think people are starting to forget about valve's greatest and most important creation.

opinions?

You just read my mind dude!

LOL who is the one person who voted for option A?

haha why is that funny? I don't know but it made me laugh when I only saw one vote.

It's retarded to think that L4D is becoming Valve's dominant series, but I was surprised at Valve's decision to make L4D2 (but Good Lord, let's not get into that).

You're ignorant of how Valve work.

I suppose you were complaining that they delayed HL2 too much by working on CS:S and DoD:S at the same time? Or maybe TF2 and Portal caused unacceptable delays when it came to Ep2 being released?
They can work on multiple projects at once and doing so isn't necessarily much less efficient than simply working on them sequentially. Do you really think the Turtle Rock guys they took in for L4D would be better being assigned to Ep3 for example? Or the guys who tend to work more on net coding or designing multiplayer maps?

Agree to disagree, but I can basically turn the argument the other way around, (not that I think this is the case, but) if your argument has any validness to it, Valve can just as easily be ignorant of its' fans by making L4D 2 because more people wants Episode 3 to be released. I'm not trying to make Valve change their course of work, I'm just stating that I'm not that hyped for a sequel to a game that has only recently been released compared to Episode 3.

Agree to disagree, but I can basically turn the argument the other way around, (not that I think this is the case, but) if your argument has any validness to it, Valve can just as easily be ignorant of its' fans by making L4D 2 because more people wants Episode 3 to be released.

Ok, so you didn't understand my point. It's intelligent division of labour. Do you really think all the Turtlerock immigrants would be better spent being moved to work on Episode 3 - part of a series they have no first-hand experience of making?
If it's the case that a large number of HL2, and Ep1 + 2 veterans are working on L4D2 instead of Ep3 then I would agree to some extent, but I don't believe that to be true.

Absolutely not, and everybody voting on caption 3 are just idiots.

Ok, so you didn't understand my point. It's intelligent division of labour. Do you really think all the Turtlerock immigrants would be better spent being moved to work on Episode 3 - part of a series they have no first-hand experience of making?
If it's the case that a large number of HL2, and Ep1 + 2 veterans are working on L4D2 instead of Ep3 then I would agree to some extent, but I don't believe that to be true.

No, what I would expect is for the team that has initially been working on the previous Half-Life titles to continue on Episode 3. I think we have an agreement there. The impression I got was that parts of the initial HL crew has been relocated to other projects like L4D2.

Absolutely not, and everybody voting on caption 3 are just idiots.

Aaand we're back at square one of the discussion... :angry:

Square 1 is where it should end. There is nothing that needs to be discussed. They have even said they have different teams working on different projects, for example Ep 3. L4D2 will not even slow shit in winter down.

If Episode 3 gets released after both L4D2 and Portal 2 I call shenanigans on all your claims.

Well, why don't we just say TF2 updates and L4D have delayed Ep 3 then?

Because that's just throwing out claims that have absolutely no base and has been torn down by Valve themselves.

Because that's just throwing out claims that have absolutely no base and has been torn down by Valve themselves.

In the end it all boils down to when it's gonna be released. If Episode 3 is not affected by any of the other titles, then it's fully possible for it to be released before they are. I see this as a highly unlikely event. *Awaits arguments on how it will take longer to develop than the other titles.*

No, what I would expect is for the team that has initially been working on the previous Half-Life titles to continue on Episode 3. I think we have an agreement there. The impression I got was that parts of the initial HL crew has been relocated to other projects like L4D2.
I don't see why.

When HL2 was released they also released CS:S and DOD:S. During Ep1 development they were working on Portal and TF2 which were released with Ep2. While working on Ep3, continued much work on TF2 (and maybe Portal 2?).
They also aquired Turtlerock and created L4D and then began work on L4D2 as well as some L4D1 DLC - quite likely the L4D2 team is mostly made up of those who were working on L4D1 and many of those guys are relatively new to Valve.
From this pattern I see no reason to assume that work on other titles is a reason for Episode 3 taking a long time. They have possibly as many full projects on the go as during HL2 and EP2 release, plus some DLC but have aquired personnel from Turtlerock since that period.

Valve have consistently proven themselves capable of balancing the development needs of several games concurrently. They deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I don't see why.

When HL2 was released they also released CS:S and DOD:S. During Ep1 development they were working on Portal and TF2 which were released with Ep2. While working on Ep3, continued much work on TF2 (and maybe Portal 2?).
They also aquired Turtlerock and created L4D and then began work on L4D2 as well as some L4D1 DLC - quite likely the L4D2 team is mostly made up of those who were working on L4D1 and many of those guys are relatively new to Valve.
From this pattern I see no reason to assume that work on other titles is a reason for Episode 3 taking a long time. They have possibly as many full projects on the go as during HL2 and EP2 release, plus some DLC but have aquired personnel from Turtlerock since that period.

Valve have consistently proven themselves capable of balancing the development needs of several games concurrently. They deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Ok, you wanna pull the "Valve has done it before" card?

Then I could just as easily argue that Valve has done lots more on L4D2 compared to Episode 3. You notice how game developers, especially Valve tend to send out footage of some sort when they've been making something decent of their game titles? Well, so far we've seen no footage whatsoever of Episode 3 but plenty L4D2 footage. Ofcourse this would probably mean that they haven't worked much on Portal 2 either, but as we saw with Portal 1 it's probably gonna be a fairily short game in comparison.

Your argument is just based on assumptions which are based on your belief of how a developer should be communicating with the press. There's more than one explanation for the lack of Episode 3 information, so you're not very convincing.

Your argument is just based on assumptions which are based on your belief of how a developer should be communicating with the press. There's more than one explanation for the lack of Episode 3 information, so you're not very convincing.

Yeah, reasons like Valve doesn't wanna give out spoilers, as if someone hasn't already figured it out. Either that or Valve simply hasn't got anything to show yet. I think it speaks for itself.

They've always been slow on releasing the HL2 games. They aren't in any rush to release them, so they are taking their time. It's hardly a direct result of the other teams doing their own thing. *Unless you count "Well, they should be allocating THEIR time into HL2 episodes!" which is just a straw gripping arguement*

Yeah, reasons like Valve doesn't wanna give out spoilers, as if someone hasn't already figured it out. Either that or Valve simply hasn't got anything to show yet. I think it speaks for itself.

-Cut to Gabe Newell lying in bed. He stirs for a moment and then sits up suddenly.

Gabe: Oh my god, we forgot to make Episode 3!

I'm sure that's it.

When people hear the word "combine", they say huh?

When people hear the word "zombie", they "yea, like in the movies?"

The public as a whole can relate to zombies a lot better then they can to the story plot of half-life. Mainly because they can relate something to zombies. You can go to just about video store and find dozens of movies on zombies. Zombies have been part of our culture since the 1960s. So everyone knows "something" about zombies.

So yes, I would not be surprised if left 4 dead overshadowed half-life.

Its a combination of new ideas being brought into Valve and the publics already existing knowledge of "zombies" that is going to make the game successful.

Back