Is this a picture of the Gordon model?

DarkStar

Tank
Reaction score
Alright, I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. If it has, please ignore me.

Dhabih Eng is a very talented digital artist that does concept work at Valve. I go over to Dhabih's forums occasionally because I like looking at pretty art. Anyway, Dhabih recently posted some HL2 promo art in his "Finished Work" forum. The thread can be found in the forums of his website, although you'll have to find it yourself because I can't figure out how to directly link to the thread. Dhabih's site can be found here:

http://www.sijun.com/dhabih/mainscreen.html

Here's the interesting part. Along with the art, he posted the reference he used. Check this out:

http://www.sijun.com/forumimages/hl2citadel_3.jpg

Woah.

its most likely some user created model.

Sparta said:
its most likely some user created model.

But Dhabih works at Valve. Why would he reference a user created model?

Why would someone at valve post a user created model? I'm confused here :-/

It doesn't look very good if you ask me. If it is true, I think it was something that was thrown together.

At the very least, Gordon looks way different in this model than in other concept art we have seen. He looks more like a weakling than a person taking out an alien invasion.

I started by posing a couple 3D models (click for image) that i had built for the same characters in the game as a reference to start from since it was a rather difficult angle to capture (for me) and then spent a lot of time reworking the lighting and adding a lot more detail since the models i had were quite low-poly and the textures i made for the game were too.
I guess it is the model that is in the game...in some form.
http://forums.sijun.com/viewtopic.php?t=37724

I think it looks good for a model in modelviewer tbh... at first I thought a photograph had been cut and pasted on its head actually ^^

alyx needs to brush her teeth more often. the gordon model doesnt look bad though

Looks ingame to me. Looks a little bit blocky, and the positions are odd, but I'd say it's a fair bet that's the Gordon model.

Looks like its in modelviewer to me, posed for the drawing...

Dhabih Eng said:
I started by posing a couple 3D models that i had built for the same characters in the game as a reference to start from since it was a rather difficult angle to capture (for me) and then spent a lot of time reworking the lighting and adding a lot more detail since the models i had were quite low-poly and the textures i made for the game were too.

There.

So is the consensus that Dhabih just mocked up those models to draw a picture? If that's so, he sure worked hard on Gordon's face. I think there's just too much detail in the model of Gordon's face for it to be completely spur of the moment modeling by Dhabih. Who goes into that much detail modeling just to get poses for a drawing? I think that's what Gordon will look like ingame (the face).

DarkStar said:
So is the consensus that Dhabih just mocked up those models to draw a picture? If that's so, he sure worked hard on Gordon's face. I think there's just too much detail in the model of Gordon's face for it to be completely spur of the moment modeling by Dhabih.

Dhabih Eng said:
adding a lot more detail since the models i had were quite low-poly and the textures i made for the game were too.

DarkStar said:
Who goes into that much detail modeling just to get poses for a drawing? I think that's what Gordon will look like ingame (the face)

Dhabih Eng said:
I started by posing a couple 3D models that i had built

Dhabih Eng said himself that he just made these models to make art with, and that they were low poly so he added some more detail.

Dhabih isn't the modeler for valve, he's an artist, those are just his models for reference when makeing his artwork, they are not the final game models

Icarus said:
Dhabih Eng said himself that he just made these models to make art with, and that they were low poly so he added some more detail.

Dhabih isn't the modeler for valve, he's an artist, those are just his models for reference when makeing his artwork, they are not the final game models

But why did he make them low poly with low res textures? Because he has a crappy computer that can't take high poly models and hi res textures?

More likely, they are the low poly models from the game..

I like how Alyx looks like one of those zombies from Shaun of the Dead. Gordon has weird spectacles though, with a grey-and-black touch. I hope Alyx won't have those greeny eyes ingame :)

Ok....something that no one has mention yet that he said...

The background was a screenshot from the game that i smoothed over with highlights, falling ash, birds, clouds, and some atmosphere. (I only had a few days to work on this)

So the backround is right from the game....and even though its been messed with, I say WOW.

jimbones said:
But why did he make them low poly with low res textures? Because he has a crappy computer that can't take high poly models and hi res textures?

More likely, they are the low poly models from the game..
Probably because he wasn't allowed to show the Gordon and Alyx model at the time.

Also, there's not much point in spending hours texturing and modelling something that you're only gonna use as a reference.

I started by posing a couple 3D models (click for image) that i had built for the same characters in the game as a reference to start from since it was a rather difficult angle to capture (for me) and then

it IS the gordon model

lol that is the worst model ive seen :S

theres a massive cut (>) into the left side of his neck, looks dodgey as.

haha and yeah i thought at first the head had been cut and pasted on :/.

god i hope thats not the final ingame model, although i doubt u even get to see the gordon model in single player.

Damn Icarus beat me to it.

Anyway yeah, posing 3D models is common practice, its cheaper than paying for models or hunting down references and most do it, it helps in so many ways. Great for getting shadows just right. But you don't spend ages on the reference models.

God damn beatiful picture he made there.

Either it was just a temporary model he made for the sake of posing and reference etc, or he used the ingame model for reference. And I thought you guys knew that Valve blow all polygons on the faces on their characters..

CrazyHarij said:
God damn beatiful picture he made there.

Either it was just a temporary model he made for the sake of posing and reference etc, or he used the ingame model for reference. And I thought you guys knew that Valve blow all polygons on the faces on their characters..
it'll be just a temporary model. It's very basic, but for what he needed it for, it worked just fine.

The Dark Elf said:
it'll be just a temporary model. It's very basic, but for what he needed it for, it worked just fine.

Yes, it did. The outcome was pretty much fantastic and it's cool to see how he starts out when making this kind of art.

CrazyHarij said:
Yes, it did. The outcome was pretty much fantastic and it's cool to see how he starts out when making this kind of art.
Yeah, shows the kind of effort that goes into images like this. A lot of people would probably think guys like that just jump straight in. Tbh I really should use reference models in 3D more like that, they are very very useful.

I wonder if Icarus could get him to do a tutorial for the site? :D

that is the alyx model from the final game and i would imagian the hev suit as well (not so much due to the textures)

wow his art never ceases to just amaze me. I guess I can only hope there is a concept art book in the CE, to see all the things he drew for the game.

Back