Ive offically given up hope.

Seriously dude, if you think these forums are bad you might want to go look at Gotfrags forums. Then you will realize how nice these forums are. Gotfag is a disgrace to the community. My brother won a computer from them, a Shuttle system, during winter CPL last year and never received it. they are pathetic.

Originally posted by skaytorre
Seriously dude, if you think these forums are bad you might want to go look at Gotfrags forums. Then you will realize how nice these forums are. Gotfag is a disgrace to the community. My brother won a computer from them, a Shuttle system, during winter CPL last year and never received it. they are pathetic.
Sure, there are worse, but that doesn't mean we can't improve ours.

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
No, I have not given up hope for Half-Life 2, and for VALVe. I have given up on this community. I guess it all started with the delay threads, sure they were an annoyance, but you knew that they were going to be posted. What really got to me after that were thee "omg newb!3s st0p potsing teh dleay thradz!!11!". These were just pointless, and they drove me insane. Then there is the influx of idiots. It always happens with anything big, the nubs jump on the bandwagon whenever everyone else gets excited. So we end up with these guys on their first post posting threads E.G. "OMG HL2 IS GOING TO RULE!" in the title, and then "I LOVE HL2" on the inside, and then just people flaming to raise their level, so then they can say "LOLZ DUMB HEADCRAB!1!1". Now in the last few days, there have been the "omg t3h suorce code laeked!!" threads, but im glad to see that these have been heavily moderated, good work mods.

I'm sure a lot of the people who have been around here a while wish that things would go back to the way they were on the forums before, but sadly, this isnt possible. This is why, I have offically, stopped caring about the community at all.

(P.S. I realise the irony of me posting a thread such as this)

this has happened on every single forum that i have been on...the more publicity the game gets the more assholes join the forums...i've left some forums for the exact same reasons....it happens. get used to it.

Not a big fan of free speech huh?.....well we will probably be invading you tomorrow...so its ok ')

i'm thinking after the games release give it a while, things might calm down? im sure in the end the hardcore fans will be left.

Originally posted by *j0ey*
I'll side with Hudson on this 1
gg
And i do more reading than posting !!!!
HLCCL went the same way
Not taking anything away from the nice peeps on both forums...

I disagree, imo we weeded out most of the undesireables over at www.hlccl.com and are left with a pretty good community now.

Yes theres still fall outs and some stupidness from time to time but the roots of the community and some of the people there have been around for about 5 years now .... and over that time some grudges have built up so people are alway gonna have fall outs every now and again.

I dont envy the mods and admins here though :)

No, I have not given up hope for Half-Life 2, and for VALVe. I have given up on this community. I guess it all started with the delay threads, sure they were an annoyance, but you knew that they were going to be posted. What really got to me after that were thee "omg newb!3s st0p potsing teh dleay thradz!!11!". These were just pointless, and they drove me insane. Then there is the influx of idiots. It always happens with anything big, the nubs jump on the bandwagon whenever everyone else gets excited. So we end up with these guys on their first post posting threads E.G. "OMG HL2 IS GOING TO RULE!" in the title, and then "I LOVE HL2" on the inside, and then just people flaming to raise their level, so then they can say "LOLZ DUMB HEADCRAB!1!1". Now in the last few days, there have been the "omg t3h suorce code laeked!!" threads, but im glad to see that these have been heavily moderated, good work mods.

I'm sure a lot of the people who have been around here a while wish that things would go back to the way they were on the forums before, but sadly, this isnt possible. This is why, I have offically, stopped caring about the community at all.

This is exactly why I stopped posting here, in the HL2 Discussion forum.

Re: Re: Ive offically given up hope.

Originally posted by Jagermeister
This is exactly why I stopped posting here, in the HL2 Discussion forum.

You, uh..... stopped posting here? *scratches head.

-Gio

Hey, I'm awake about 20 hours a day (sleep problem; really horrible) and I wouldn't have second thoughts about banning the immature dorks floating around :p

I like the idea of the VIP area, for folks who can have an intelligent discussion without resorting to insults etc. But how exactly would you make it work? How to get in etc. ??

Originally posted by MrD
I like the idea of the VIP area, for folks who can have an intelligent discussion without resorting to insults etc. But how exactly would you make it work? How to get in etc. ??
Well you'd have to change the ranking system to something like I mentioned earlier (mods would change people's ranks according to how much trouble they're causing, or how much they are contributing to intelligent conversation\the community. If you are below a certain rank, you can't get into the VIP area. Anyone with a rank good enough to be in the VIP area who causes trouble in the VIP area would have his rank lowered so that he can no longer enter. I suppose the system would have to be properly thought out and planned, but I think it could work well enough. We'd need some extra mods though, it would create a bit more work for them.

So why do you do this. You are just as pathetic as those other noobs. Just look past the things you don't want to read and focus on the things you do want to read. Internet= "a very large source of information with very usefull stuff but also with a lot of bullshit." Forums can be a big waste of time I agree, but it's your own choice to read."

this forum is one of the biggest i've seen ever. No wonder there is som much bullshit in here.

Thanks for the idea

It may not be possible, but what if we spark up a 'VIP' forum based on a different level of 'banning' is in they are banned from the VIP but not the rest of the site? I dunno, just saw a glimmer of hope for a second.

Re: Thanks for the idea

Originally posted by UDHA
It may not be possible, but what if we spark up a 'VIP' forum based on a different level of 'banning' is in they are banned from the VIP but not the rest of the site? I dunno, just saw a glimmer of hope for a second.
Yeah, I'd really like something like that to be set up. It wouldn't require much extra effort on behalf of the mods, since once all the trouble makers are weeded out, it would be quite a peaceful place. Problem is, rules would have to be very strict, and that would be looked at quite negatively by some people.

i know exactly what u mean CoD.org used to be a great place for all us callofduty fans but as soon as there was a DEMO released the forums it turned into one BIG noob fest

all i want to know if where do these little ****s come from because i want to tell your DAD to stop letting u on his PC and spoiling forums for others

It would have to :

a) somehow stop people from joining and instantly posting crap
b) yet still be easily accessible to people, and
c) uncomplicated enough that people can understand

Definitely tricky, which is probably why no-one has come up with a way of doing it yet (that I have seen anyway).

Originally posted by Logic
Well you'd have to change the ranking system to something like I mentioned earlier (mods would change people's ranks according to how much trouble they're causing, or how much they are contributing to intelligent conversation\the community. If you are below a certain rank, you can't get into the VIP area. Anyone with a rank good enough to be in the VIP area who causes trouble in the VIP area would have his rank lowered so that he can no longer enter. I suppose the system would have to be properly thought out and planned, but I think it could work well enough. We'd need some extra mods though, it would create a bit more work for them.

There are more than 5000 members, can you imagine the work involved in ranking each and everyone individually? it's simply impossible. May I suggest an easier solution?

More mods : )

Originally posted by MrD
It would have to :

a) somehow stop people from joining and instantly posting crap
b) yet still be easily accessible to people, and
c) uncomplicated enough that people can understand

Definitely tricky, which is probably why no-one has come up with a way of doing it yet (that I have seen anyway).
Perhaps you could just have a general area where anyone can join and post (this area will be full of crap) but people who conduct themselves with honor can be admitted to the other sections.

Perhaps you could just have a general area where anyone can join and post (this area will be full of crap) but people who conduct themselves with honor can be admitted to the other sections.

I worry though that all the VIPs would not bother reading the general area ever again and so no-one else would get admitted !

Also, I don't know if this VBulletin software they run can even handle things like this? Any solution I think would have to be self-regulated since there are too many members for mods to look after in this way.

If anybody ever does come up with something I think might work then I'll put some code together (in .NET) which we can try, though we would need a host ... (i don't think my ADSL connection would handle all the traffic lol) ?

EDIT: Unless somebody else comes up with a way of doing it without me writing code, because I hate doing work that can be avoided ;)

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
There are more than 5000 members, can you imagine the work involved in ranking each and everyone individually? it's simply impossible. May I suggest an easier solution?

More mods : )
People wouldn't be ranked individually from the start. Everyone would start with a default rank, and trouble makers would be demoted. It would probably be better to forget about higher rankings. Who needs a ranking system anyway. Special cases could have custom ranks anyway.

The point would be to eliminate the ranking system thus stopping spam created by people trying to climb the ranking ladder.

Originally posted by Wesisapie
Whatever happens, i get into the VIP area by default :)

LOL! I was thinking that too ;)

The only reason there is so much crap is that all that's to be discussed about HL2 has been discussed, honestly how long can you talk about the bink videos for as that is all the info we've really got.

I give up now, when hl2 comes out then we will already have doom3, stalker and maybe dnf.

sorry but this sucks.

People wouldn't be ranked individually from the start. Everyone would start with a default rank, and trouble makers would be demoted. It would probably be better to forget about higher rankings. Who needs a ranking system anyway. Special cases could have custom ranks anyway.

The point would be to eliminate the ranking system thus stopping spam created by people trying to climb the ranking ladder.

Ah now I understand. How here's another suggestion to save the mods some work: how about a mutual ranking system where each user rates one another?

Ah now I understand. How here's another suggestion to save the mods some work: how about a mutual ranking system where each user rates one another?

are you the [evo] from MOH as well, man you guys got screwed for cheating good! lmao

Originally posted by MrD
I worry though that all the VIPs would not bother reading the general area ever again and so no-one else would get admitted !

Also, I don't know if this VBulletin software they run can even handle things like this? Any solution I think would have to be self-regulated since there are too many members for mods to look after in this way.

If anybody ever does come up with something I think might work then I'll put some code together (in .NET) which we can try, though we would need a host ... (i don't think my ADSL connection would handle all the traffic lol) ?

Perhaps you could just have a system in which anyone can ban anyone, but there are mods who can overrule any ban, and ban people who abuse their ban ability. Things would be a bit chaotic for a while, but eventually it would settle down, and become a good place to talk. People wouldn't frivelously spam or insult because they'd be banned, and anyone who abuses their ban ability would be out before they knew it.

Im thinking more moderators. Make them "topic/section" specific. Maybe only give them mod powers certain times of the day until they have "proven" themselves.

I think that could get a bit complicated..

I think basically what it comes down to, as far as improving forums goes, is that the post-count ranking system needs to be abolished. Any other systems could be worked out based on how well that works out.

Perhaps you could just have a system in which anyone can ban anyone, but there are mods who can overrule any ban, and ban people who abuse their ban ability. Things would be a bit chaotic for a while, but eventually it would settle down, and become a good place to talk. People wouldn't frivelously spam or insult because they'd be banned, and anyone who abuses their ban ability would be out before they knew it.

Interesting... another way would be to have a person pass a threshold of ban votes (depending on how long they had been registered) before being kicked.

EDIT: Also it should say "1 vote to ban" or something next to the name, but not who voted, and they would have to auto-decrease over time.

I definitely agree with having no ranking system.

Instead, you can only vote-to-ban after surviving the forum for maybe a month. That would stop the spamming idea as boosting post count would make no difference.

EDIT: Would also stop people making X accounts then voting to kick everyone immediately.

To brithoms: I don't know what you're talking about, I have yet to play a match, and I haven't been on their boards for a while. It does not directly concern me.

To Logic: Post count ranking needs to go, I agree but bear with me for a second, I'll explain my previous suggestion:

Below everyone's avatar you would have a "Five Star" rating system just like for popular threads; you could rank the person from 1 to 5 and the average would show up next to your name. Simple really : )

Below everyone's avatar you would have a "Five Star" rating system just like for popular threads; you could rank the person from 1 to 5 and the average would show up next to your name. Simple really : )

Good idea, but I wonder would anybody ever bother to rate someone? ... you might do it for a while but you would get bored!

Originally posted by MrD
Good idea, but I wonder would anybody ever bother to rate someone? ... you might do it for a while but you would get bored!
Yeah, that's what I mean about it getting complicated. If a new member has only been ranked by one person, he might have an unneccissarily low rating, so people might think less of him. Some people might stop bothering with ratings too. Also, people would change their mind about other people. Does this mean you can rate people as many times as you want? Or once a month? It would be too complicated, and nobody would take the time to rate every other member, so it wouldn't be practical.

OK ok hehe I see what you mean : )

Let's see if I can come up with a better solution.

Just setup a system like on AIM, you get warned to a point then you're gone, but instead of coming back, you're permanently ip/name banned.

I still like the idea of a heavily moderated private forum where you need some type of membership to even view it, so those members can also benifit from the low traffic.

Originally posted by Zero Signal
I still like the idea of a heavily moderated private forum where you need some type of membership to even view it, so those members can also benifit from the low traffic.
Me too, but I'm thinking it might create some resentment from the 'non-members', calling members "snobs" etc.. It's still worth considering though.

Edit: It would essentially create a division in the community, perhaps not the best thing..

Back