Kerbal Space Program

This game is really fun!

Definitely gonna keep a close eye on this project.

Thanks for bringing this title to my attention, Stardog.

I think I might have doomed my Kerbals.

I used a tri-seperator, three fuel tanks on each and three of those fancier engines.

I got to 350K before seperation, and I don't seem to be slowing down at all, now at 500K.

yaysn.png

This looks like great fun, looking forward to giving it a go.

This is excellent. I've wasted hours in this game, and am still amazed at how Jeb always finds joy in being catapulted into the air, and usually back into the dirt.

Has their server been rest or something? I'm getting a generic Apache "It works!" at the moment.

I'm getting that too, Unfocused.

Not sure what the deal is, perhaps their servers became overloaded or something?

I think I might have doomed my Kerbals.

I used a tri-seperator, three fuel tanks on each and three of those fancier engines.

I got to 350K before seperation, and I don't seem to be slowing down at all, now at 500K.

Huh, so was that a bug or could you reproduce the effect?

I've played for around 1.5h and my best result of ~230km altitude was reached in a spaceshit consisting of:

-parachute
-capsule
-SAS
-decoupler
-fuel tank+engine
-decoupler
-tricoupler with 3 fuel tanks+engines
-decouplers on the 3 engines
-3 boosters on the 3 decouplers

That sounds like what you described plus 1 tank+engine.

EDIT: Managed to fly up to 1188km. Upon descent I deployed the parachute, the capsule slowed down to the normal 15.5 m/s (a speed at the crew always survived), but when it hit the water everybody died :( WTF?

Definitely not a bug, I've been able to reproduce it.

I just had

parachute>capsule>decoupler>sas>tricoupler>3*3 fuel tanks>3 engines.

namnlsn.png

There, did it again, only I took a screenshot right before seperation so that you could see my design.

Edit:

namnlsjj.png

My guys seem awfully happy as long as the speed is below 30 and the parachute is deployed.

namnlshr.png

Safely home, at last.

Ah yes, when I asked that question I hadn't realised you can stack tanks (duh). I'm really enjoying this game. So far I've been trying to fly as high as possible, but tomorrow I'll try to go into orbit.

Right now my highest flight so far is in progress. When I was taking this screenshot I was slowing down at around a meter every 9 seconds, now, a few minutes later, the rate is even slower. I guess I'll leave the PC running overnight and will see where I'm at when I wake up in the morning :p I was never good at physics, so I was kind of surprised that I'm travelling much further due to momentum after I'm not propelled anymore, than during the propelling phase.

Oh yeah, I accidentally deployed the parachute, since I was running another instance of the game on my second screen and I pressed space with the wrong window active. :| But I'm not sure if its slowing me down, since well, there's not much air to be had.

5000k.jpg

EDIT: Hmm, at 1930m/s it takes 20 seconds for it to slow down 1 meter. This will take forever.
EDIT 2: Wait, I forgot that since I'm so damn high, the escape velocity is much lower. Someone figured out that for this planet at 8650 km, Vcirc = 617.76 m/s, Vesc = 873.64 m/s. At that altitude I was travelling at 1917 m/s, over twice the escape velocity. So I guess I am in orbit. This is fascinating, why was it so boring in high school :D

Been messing with this for a week or so. Goofy shit :)

After a little experimentation I believe I'm going to try for a full orbit. I'm not sure if the physics will follow but I assume they will. It should be an interesting challenge just to figure out the proper angles.

Managed to hit a personal record of 240Km. I am hoping there is going to be a lot of work done on this game, I'm surprised my crew didn't die from the 15G descent though. Fun gameplay as it stands now, but from what the devs have said, they are very focused and ambitious about this project.

I do like the future features they are implementing

KSP wiki said:
Better parachute control[1] Trajectory/Orbital Display UI
Full map view with 3D trajectory/orbital information
Abort Sequence, for emergencies
EVAs
Switching between multiple ships
Docking

Abort Sequence, for emergencies

Abort Sequence, for EMERGENCIES!!!

With the amount of crew KIAs I have seen in so many videos, I'm surprised they didn't make that the top priority

I made it out to about 95000KM @ 2.2KM/s, but I forgot to take a screenshot :(

I made it out to about 95000KM @ 2.2KM/s, but I forgot to take a screenshot :(

This game doesn't have achievements, but then again does it really need them? I mean you could talk about how many kills you got in TF2, but when you managed to get a welded tincan into orbit, thats impressive.

I've been trying to do the sub-orbitals flights, but something always goes wrong. The furthest I think I've been around the planet is 1/5 or 1/6 before gravity picks up

Great little game. Loving it so far. Can't wait for new parts and stuff, and a good way to place pods in an orbit around Earth. If this ever goes beyond the alpha stage I will probably buy it.

WVjZV.jpg

So yesterday I aborted the flight, because it would basically go on forever. I've come to the conclusion that after playing this for a bit there's no point in trying to beat altitude records, because after you leave the atmosphere with a high vertical velocity, it would take days before you reached the highest point (or rather apogee; I'm not sure if that's not simply a long orbit you're travelling on in such case).

15km.jpg

Anyway, I've been trying to get into orbit at lower altitudes, but it's really tricky because:

1. I have to quickly reach the end of the atmosphere (around 40km) so that it doesn't slow me down.
2. At the same time I have to gradually align myself parallel to the ground, to gain horizontal speed and lose vertical speed (so as not to "endlessly" fly into space).
3. Even when I manage to lose vertical speed to the point that I'm falling back down, when I lose my depleted tanks I still have upward momentum that launches me higher yet again, since I'm now lighter.

And for the time being I refuse to watch youtube videos where someone shows how to go into orbit, since I want to figure it out myself (well, apart from the fact that I know some mathematical basis) ;)

Well I managed to get a great ship for it... fairly stable at low altitudes and plenty of high altitude power. I end up flying it poorly though and went oer 500km (way over my intended orbit alt) and about 2.2km/s (well short of orbit speed). I just need to lower my angle sooner while I'm still in some reasonable altitude. As high as I was I may have ultimately made an orbit but I waiting half an hour and I was just starting to come down. This game has tons of promise. It's great fun.

How are you people getting screens? Printscreen gives me the desktop. I guess I'd have to go in windowed mode.

I just noticed something weird. I'm moving through space right now, just the capsule, and when I switch my laptop into energy saving mode, the vertical speed meter rises by about 5 units of whatever the scale is on that tiny vertical speed meter. o_O

How are you people getting screens? Printscreen gives me the desktop. I guess I'd have to go in windowed mode.

I'm using ALT+PrtScr to capture only the window. But yeah, I play in windowed mode.

This game is awesome, the trial and error process and finally getting into space is so satisfying. Now it just needs the moon.

So I left the game running overnight and it looks like I've managed to stay in a low orbit, with an apogee of 84679m and a perigee of 44388m (on the last lap I measured; there's a slight deviation between laps, but I guess it can be called "stable"). A lap takes around 40 minutes.

Too bad they're not coming home. :/

longestflight.jpg

Next step: go into orbit and come back ;)

Unfocused, could you give design specs/pics of the rocket you used for that?:)

Sure. :) Behold, Leaving Hope Mk III (I hope everything is visible at this angle, let me know if I have to clarify something):

lhiii.jpg

Just make sure you also alter the stages, so that all the bottom boosters are fired at once and then discarded in the next stage - be default it separates it into 4 stages.

I'm also pretty sure I could've gone into orbit with my previous, slightly simpler design, it becomes a matter of navigation later on, rather than power.

I see quite a couple of vids from people who seem to have way more parts than I have. Are those from mods?

Yeah, baby! Managed to go into orbit, circle the planet twice and successfully deorbit with the last bit of fuel I had left. :D

fulltp.jpg

I see quite a couple of vids from people who seem to have way more parts than I have. Are those from mods?

Yes, those are from mods. Haven't used them, a lot of them are probably overpowered.

Unfocused I actually had pretty much exactly that design at a point but I couldn't get it stable. I guess I should give you the win on the space race since I didn't even try it again after posting. Right now I have a ship with 3 actual stages. The first one includes six solid boosters for initial speed and three liquid fuels with enough fuel to take me into the thin atmosphere. Then the second stage pretty much could take me suborbital. The final stage does everything else for me.

How are you orbiting at 40km? Do they not have atmospheric drag that high?

That's weird that random people are creating mods with way more than the original. I wonder if the creator will pull them in...

I was tempted to download mods but thought nah, I'd rather see what I can achieve with the standard game otherwise I'd feel like I was cheating it.

Back