Kids are Bastards (especially Dog--)

It is for reasons like this that people like my mother choose to become teachers who specialize in teaching kids with ADHD. While they deserve sympathy, there's no doubt in my mind that having ADHD students in regular classes is detrimental to both the class, the teachers and themselves.

It depends how severe the ADHD is. It's not always ADHD that causes the aggressive behaviour.

It's easy enough saying that they shouldn't be there - but do you know how severe a case has to be before the government consider statementing a child to go into a special school from mainstream education?

Inclusion, inclusion, inclusion.

It might be detrimental to the teacher - as they're always knackered from dealing with severe cases of ASD or ADHD. It might not be detrimental to the children, it depends how good the school is at dealing with it. It might also not be detrimental to the child suffering from it. Special schools are almost a way of isolating children with special educational needs socially. In the high majority of cases it isn't needed.

It's easy enough saying that they shouldn't be there - but do you know how severe a case has to be before the government consider statementing a child to go into a special school from mainstream education?

Government? Here it's a school decision made in conjunction with parents. And the schools that my mom has founded (yes, founded) have all been situated on school grounds, so the students could still hang out with their old classmates (in most cases anyway, occasionally the kid had to change school). I recall someone threw a chair at one of their teachers in my school, he eventually got sent to my mom's school. That seems a pretty reasonable.

Government? Here it's a school decision made in conjunction with parents. And the schools that my mom has founded (yes, founded) have all been situated on school grounds, so the students could still hang out with their old classmates (in most cases anyway, occasionally the kid had to change school). I recall someone threw a chair at one of their teachers in my school, he eventually got sent to my mom's school. That seems a pretty reasonable.

In the UK it's completely different.

You could have several chairs thrown at you, or be kicked or punched as a teacher and you'd still have a hard time getting a child statemented to be allowed to go to a special school. ;)

It sounds pretty idyllic where you are!

Back