Kids are Bastards (especially Dog--)

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
This is what I've been saying all along - ADD and ADHD don't ****ing exist. Finally they proved it..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1243739/How-childrens-game-proves-ADHD-really-mind.html

The news will infuriate millions of parents who have children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). A new British study has proved that children suffering from the behavioural disorder can control their symptoms - simply by learning self-discipline.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...me-proves-ADHD-really-mind.html#ixzz0dsKrDLuF

Heh, that kid's wearing a bicycle helmet while using a laptop.

Daily Mail - official news source of hl2.net.

Are we trusting the Daily Mail to accurately report science matters now? Personally I think I'll wait for the Ben Goldacre column.

how about the fact that ADD cannot be truly diagnosed through tests but by a doctors "observations".....maybe i'm just drunk :p

I'm pretty sure I could fake being ADD if I read up on the symptoms.

Hey! Then I get some free speed!

kids aren't punished and don't learn. thats my take on it. discipline can come in better ways though and i don't think children are being disciplined enough because daddy or mommy aren't there for them.

I bet this thread is going to have a lot of well thought out and informed responses from people who would never make grossly inaccurate assumptions about mental disorders and how they work. I am just so excited.

I have no problems with any mental disorder, but saying your kid has one just because he's a bit hyper and doesn't listen to bullshit. That's you being a bad parent, take responsibility for your own kid don't hop him up on drugs and say there must be something wrong with him because you can't do anything about it.

^Your well informed and thought out response. :)

Brain goes blegh and kid agrees.

Yeah man I know what you mean like sometimes I think that clinical depression doesn't exist it's just that people need to like go get a life instead of sitting around on the couch all day long whining about their chemical imbalances 'n shit

I have depression and social anxiety, both chemical imbalances.

ADD/ADHD is just an excuse for parents so they can say 'not my fault, it's their ADHD olololo'

This was already known by the elementary teachers over here. What's ADD? An excuse for bad behavior? Well we'll see where your ADD is after you run 50 laps around the school grounds! Ha!

As my fellow Asisatic inhabitants might put it, "YOU RAKK DICIPRINE!".

ITT: Dog-- climbs the rock of chemical imbalance, using the pedestal as an excuse to talk shit about a bunch of probable affected children, waving in his hand a piece of e-paper from the Daily Mail.

EDIT:

The kid reminds me of Bryan Peppers lol

Do you actually have any conclusive studies that state as much? I'm thinking something even slightly more creditable than an article published in the Daily Mail, and maybe even a group study of more than ten children. What you've posted here is by no means a scientific study, and basically amounts to one pathetically small group of children responding well to active measures taken to ameliorate their condition. Some people with mental disorders respond to treatment. Great. How does this disprove anything?

My shitty study of only ten children is better then your study of-

oh wait, you don't have a study.

Biological causes of ADHD: Not giving a ****.

One of my old elementary school friends who took Ritalin for his ADHD was always a very awesome person after taking his pills at 10 am. "Hurrr... Hi dudes, hurr."

The article is highly insulting.

The news will infuriate millions of parents who have children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). A new British study has proved that children suffering from the behavioural disorder can control their symptoms - simply by learning self-discipline.

"Oh no! My child might be able to control his symptoms OF THE REAL MENTAL CONDITION HE HAS on his own instead of relying solely on drugs and special teaching! I am infuriated!"

The underlying tone of the piece there being that ADHD is only a way for lazy kids to get away with being lazy. **** you, Daily Mail, **** you. Still, they never actually say that ADHD is not a real disorder, merely that, similar to treating say OCD with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, ADHD might now have a new branch of therapy attached to it. Which I feel would be nothing but good.

This one time a guy got into my friend's ADD (or ADHD, whatever) medication at a party, dude was tripping balls all night. We'd wave a hand in front of his face and he'd follow it about five seconds later. :rolling:

I don't really believe in ADHD as a mental disorder to be honest.

I always thought those kids were lesser humans anyway. They always ruin the fun, getting angry all the time and harass you. I remember a kid in my 5th grade that had ADD, he was uncontrollable, he would throw chairs in anger if you even looked at him. He took one of those big knifes from the school kitchen (were children arent allowed) and threatened another kid with it. He didnt have the balls to cut him tho.

pfft, silly aggravated subhumans, where is hitler when we need him?

Has anybody thought that the way you live might influence your chemical balance? The last time i've heard, physical activity releases dopamine and other good feeling hormones/receptors. I mean if you don't improve your life, no effing wonder we have depression and stuff.
IMO a long time ago clinical depression probably didn't even exist, not in the working class. Probably just the rich class who bitched about how life sucked (romanticism and stuff).

Environmental factors go hand in hand with our body.

ADHD...might be genetically influenced, but how many city kids do you see running around the whole day, digging shit up, playing with friends, screaming their lungs out or just doing something stupid. Might be some but IMO city life is much more restrictive nowadays especially the "good" neighborhoods. Same with suburbs.

I had a friend who had some form of ADHD, the more he sat still the more of a **** he was.

If we're talking about hitler tactics...how would humanity look like if only the best/brightest/prettiest/healthiest would be allowed to breed?

IMO depression and the like, that is to say, such things as we know that are. ADHD is caused and not to say it isn't causative. When foreign people invade lands of the indignant people, one has to wonder; why didn't a long time ago people run but also not suffer?

While I don't doubt that the disease exists, I always had a hard time tolerating ADHD victims. This is mostly because the teachers when I grew up always turned the other eye when one of the ADHD nutjobs did something (even if it was something serious, such as use violence towards someone), whereas they got mad if anyone else as much as jump in a pool of water. For example, once one of the ADHD freaks punched a guy to the point of him getting a nosebleed, and what did the teachers do? They started to rant on the kid for provoking the ADHD looney (he had looked at him).

While I don't doubt that the disease exists, I always had a hard time tolerating ADHD victims. This is mostly because the teachers when I grew up always turned the other eye when one of the ADHD nutjobs did something (even if it was something serious, such as use violence towards someone), whereas they got mad if anyone else as much as jump in a pool of water. For example, once one of the ADHD freaks punched a guy to the point of him getting a nosebleed, and what did the teachers do? They started to rant on the kid for provoking the ADHD looney (he had looked at him).

It is for reasons like this that people like my mother choose to become teachers who specialize in teaching kids with ADHD. While they deserve sympathy, there's no doubt in my mind that having ADHD students in regular classes is detrimental to both the class, the teachers and themselves.

I agree that it creates more work for the teachers to keep them together, but I think separating them out, can create problems of its own. They will probably become alienated, and because they're not exposed to each other, they don't know how to behave with one another.

It's difficult knowing how to deal with a child or anyone who has some sort of mental disorder. Obviously punishment isn't the way to deal with it, but just ignoring their outbursts doesn't help either.

I've had a few hyperactive kids in my classes, and I wasn't trained to deal with them at all. In one class, one of them them kicked another student in the head.

All I could do was stand in between them and stop it happening again. That's obviously a situation you can't ignore, and it was the most 'violent' example really.

I didn't shout at her. I just had them all start a new task. Later I talked to her about it, and found out that she hadn't been swimming that day. Apparently her parents made her go swimming most days, because it calms her down a bit. I also learned that students in Paraguay usually get very physical with one another anyway; way to go Latin Stereotype #5
The kid she kicked also suffers from it, and they both wound each other up a lot. But that doesn't mean we never made any progress with anything, and there's an element of boys will be boys and girls will be girls to it.

It's perfectly normal to get annoyed at, or resentful of people with these problems, because they will do things that piss you off. But knowing why they're acting up helps you find a way of dealing with it. But this is true for everyone alive, not just people with disorders of the mind.

I bet this thread is going to have a lot of well thought out and informed responses from people who would never make grossly inaccurate assumptions about mental disorders and how they work. I am just so excited.

Best post I've read today. Thank you!

Once I got diagnosed with ADD.

Because I didn't like to do my homework.

Some of my friends have ADHD (supposedly), and I've seen these kids in school too. If they want to they can do amazing school work, they mostly choose not to. This disorder isn't one that just makes people helpless, it's more of an excuse they could use. With all that evidence toaster gave, well ok maybe it exists, but I have first hand experience hanging out going to school with these kids and if they want to they can focus and do work, they just don't have the drive to do it, it should never be an excuse - ever - for kids or teachers or parents. They don't need special attention or anything like that, they need to just do their work and stop ****ing around. How many adults you know that go to work and tell their bosses 'oh I can't do it because I can't focus, ADHD you know?'. For **** sakes, even these kids with ADHD get a job they don't screw around, they do their job and get payed.

lol this is only newsworthy because the OP didnt read past the headline:

Each session lasted for half an hour with the children tested to measure their attention before and after the experiment. At the end of the study, the researchers found that the children's impulsive behaviour had improved by at least 25 per cent.

The results are being hailed by experts as a major breakthrough in the treatment of ADHD

in other words ADHD DOES exist and this just shopws that other methods of treatment may be beneficial .,..well whoopdee****ingdoo what brilliant editor at the mail thought this was some sort of breakthrough? behaviour therapy for ADHD has been around as long as ADHD has been around. this is shoddy reporting on the part of the dailymail (who would have thunk that?) because most of their audience are exactly the slawjawed yokel type who would take this as gospel. they should be collectively kicked in the balls

and if they want to they can focus and do work, they just don't have the drive to do it.

Yes of course they can- it's just harder for them because they have ADHD.

They don't need special attention or anything like that, they need to just do their work and stop ****ing around.

And depressed people just need to stop being so mopey.

Yes of course they can- it's just harder for them because they have ADHD.

And depressed people just need to stop being so mopey.

I've honestly never done homework in my life, and have failed 1 class and got bad marks in all my others because of that. How come I was never diagnosed with ADHD? I hate doing homework so I don't, sure I could but I never felt like it so I didn't. I could've just sat down and did it but I'd rather have watched TV, so I did. So since I have the symptoms for ADHD I must have it.

Oh wait no I don't I just don't want to do school work.

It's called applying yourself.

This was already known by the elementary teachers over here. What's ADD? An excuse for bad behavior? Well we'll see where your ADD is after you run 50 laps around the school grounds! Ha!

As my fellow Asisatic inhabitants might put it, "YOU RAKK DICIPRINE!".

Damn, I was gonna make that reference but I didn't notice the thread until today :(

I was diagnosed with ADD and I was fed Ritalin until I was 18. I honestly believe it's because I never really gained-a disciprine.

I've honestly never done homework in my life, and have failed 1 class and got bad marks in all my others because of that. How come I was never diagnosed with ADHD?

probably because you dont have it. but way to completely write off an entire field of medical research just because YOU DID SHITTY IN SCHOOL AND NO ONE DIAGNOSED YOU...

I hate doing homework so I don't, sure I could but I never felt like it so I didn't. I could've just sat down and did it but I'd rather have watched TV, so I did. So since I have the symptoms for ADHD I must have it.

Oh wait no I don't I just don't want to do school work.

It's called applying yourself.

yes so lets be clear: you didnt apply yourself and fail, those with adhd COULD apply themselves and STILL fail. your personal experiences are not a good indicator as to what other people's experiences will be. you'd think that would be obvious but here we are

more breaking news: idiot bastard kids take daily mail information seriously.

No I think the original was more accurate.

i used to have adhd, i was a hyper little ****

now i just stare off into space

Back