Kony 2012 - a Fantastic Phenomenon about a Misguided Cause

Reaction score
One emotive video and 86,568,322 youtube views later, the Kony campaign has shown how powerful the internets can be to raise awareness about political issues.

My main interest in this video is the fact that it is one of the first cases in internet history that a political video has gone viral - My main concern is whether this is just a one off phenomenon or whether this is the begining of a pattern on the internet that will allow more and more people to become aware about political issues.

As for the actual content of the video - I don't have much to say about it except for an excellent article I came across written by Teju Cole which analyses some of the underlying issues around the Kony 2012 campaign:

http://urchinmovement.com/2012/03/28/teju-cole-on-kony-2012-and-the-white-savior-industrial-complex/

Please note, if you are one of the extremely rare people who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend you watch the Kony 2012 vid that went viral first:

I still haven't watched this. I'm going to now use this time I could be using to watch it to play a game about animes being kawaii.

Back