Korsakovia Mod Released

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]Korsakovia is a mod by The Chinese Room team, who were also responsible for the well acclaimed mod Dear Esther. Just like DE, Korsakovia is a frightening survival horror mod and is about delusion, paranoia and the end of the world.
It is based around the simple question - what happens if you turn off the visual representation of agents, the normal cues players use to predict behaviour and motive? Around this experiment, Korsakovia mixes the abstract story-driven experience of Dear Esther with more traditional gameplay. The result is a survival horror FPS that will trap you in the splintering fragments of a destroyed mind.
Resolution Magazine has published their thoughts after an early playtest, but you can download the mod here.

I happened to find the woman who composed the music for Dear Esther on Myspace because I loved it so much. I believe she worked on this too because I recall her telling me about it.

Dear Esther is one of the best mods I've played (if very simple but well done). I can't wait to give this a go!

I've never heard of either of the mods. I guess I've got some downloading and playing to do.

I just hope that review wasn't hyping it too much and I'm left disappointed...but it sounds great. downloading.

I happened to find the woman who composed the music for Dear Esther on Myspace because I loved it so much. I believe she worked on this too because I recall her telling me about it.

There's some custom music, but also the female voice actress is amazing.

k so I finished this... for the most part the review from resolution magazine is spot on albeit a bit too forgiving on verdict IMO.

I was very let down that it wasn't more polished and that there were no real custom content to speak of as far as props/models/textures go...and for a game which such a focus on the mind/mental state a lot more could have been done with the visuals/aesthetics, it's only near the end they really challenge the visuals but it's let down by the lack of any custom content IMO.

mains force is definitely the voice acting/story telling and the audio.

Just finished Dear Esther last week. Amazing mod. Although I'm pretty sure there wasn't a "frightening survival horror" element in that game. A wee bit creepy yes. Frightening no.

Anyways downloading this right away. Very excited.

I'm too scared to play it :( I don't know how to fight the first enemy :( It is hurting me :'(

Just finished it.

7/10

I am huge fan of this development team by the way, they are excellent writers and know how to use ambiance well. However, I was a tad disappointed in this one.

Just like Dear Esther, I was instantly drawn into the dream like world they created, however some things really put it off for me.

1. As Barnz said, Ear rape. Sometimes Ear rape is appropriate in a game, but they really, really over did it.

2. The Spirits (AKA Collectors) were wayyy over used. I understand this is more of a survival horror, which is fine, but they really put these things in there way to much.

The first time I encountered one I was quite scared as it inched towards me. I felt like Peter Venkman seeing Slimer for the first time... except more ominous.
Anyways, there ends up being like 20 on each level, and they get in your way and blur your vision and screech, it's especially annoying when the woman or your character is talking, but you can't hear what they are saying because one of the ghosts is going "WREEEEE-WREEEEE -WREEEEEEE" in your ear.

Adding so many of them really took away the mysterious frightfulness of them, and simply made them a nuisance.

3. Too much backtracking. Got a little tired of the objectives.

Other than that, it was quite good and well written. I also enjoyed how the setting deforms over time.

Edit: Also, stay for the credits.

Back