Least favirote chapter?

Onager said:
I don't remember what the chapters are called.. But I didn't like the driving and boat parts...

Yeah. To me the boat and driving the buggy were so boring. I wanted to kill Combine, not drive around.

Everyone else seems to like those parts, but it bored me so much. I guess I've been playing too much UT2004 and Battlefield 1942 to enjoy MORE driving around.

How can you possibly say that? There are plenty of times in those levels where you have to, or have the option to get out and kill more combine. The vehicles just provide a way to get across large, open levels quickly.

You cant say that about the airboat. The levels are large and open BECAUSE OF the vehicles... it's not like the vehicles fix any gameplay holes.

To me, driving the airboat around was just boring... like playing some kind of console game. I like stopping to kill guys, but that's just because I like killing guys.

The car was annoying, not that anything was wrong with driving it, just that the time spent in the car I would rather have been raiding a town from door to door, knocking off some Combine and headcrabs... as opposed to driving around from house to house, which were few and far between.

Vehicles are cool... let's just say I wish each stop were a small town needing cleansing, rather than just a little house. Because of that, too much time was spent driving just looking for something to do...

You never got a sense of, "Ahhh, just pwned some 50 Combine and wiped OUT their little town. Now on to the next town..."

It was more like, "Hopefully after all this driving I'll find some action... the last 3 stops were lame."

-

So yeah... my least favorite chapters were the driving ones.

*IMO*... I'm not saying anybody else didn't enjoy those missions.

Sand Traps was pretty annoying especially on the hardest difficulty.

I didn't really like the first chapter because they was no action.

How can anyone hate Ravenholm? That chapter rocked.

Saw blades + gas canisters + zombies = Possibly the best chapter in the game.

Scotsman said:
Sandtraps

The whole "don't step on the sand" thing eventually got on my nerves. However, the ending, with the antlions under your command, was excellent and redeemed the chapter. Other than that, Half-life 2 was perfect.

I'm with you on that. Also, I found those Antlions to be ugly, boring to fight and very annoying when making that stupid noise (when they took off from the ground, I think). I really prefer when enimies have a weapon and shoots back at me.

But true, the game is almost perfect in my oppinion.

I loved all the levels, the driving ones being two of my favourites. I don't see how anyone could not like the parts in the buggy.
I also loved Ravenholm and Follow Freeman. The atmosphere in both of them's great, although quite different. When you come out of the museam building and look down to see the resistance fighting of Striders and combine it's great! And I hated Grigory.
Least favourite would have to be Route Kanal (not Water Hazard) because of the stupid manhacks, annoy me.

Definetly Sandtraps. And I also didn't like the "sewers" where those manhacks come in. Those critters are just too annoying

Definetly Sandtraps. And I also didn't like the "sewers" where those manhacks come in. Those critters are just too annoying

Water Hazard

Because it's about to give me a stroke.

Bed time! :frown:

I really hated the loading parts. It took just way too long(on my pc)!
4 minutes of waiting, 1.5 minutes playing, 5 minutes waiting, 2 minutes playing.... argh!

I hated Sandtrap so much because of all of those shtupid antlions that will make you shit your pants if you step on 1 grain of sand. :hmph:

Ravenholm. Simply beacause I don't like horror.

Sandtraps was alright. The "dont step on the sand-part" only lasted for a few minutes.

Hate to jump on the bandwagon but I agree sandtraps.

dark matter.

because it's the last chapter. :angry:

/probably been said already
//didn't read entire thread :p

Canals. Least interesting level, IMO. Also I wasn't so much of a fan of Ravenholm simply because I don't think it fitted in. You ran through an old tunnel that was connected to Black Mesa East and suddenly you were in a village that looked like it was in somewhere that didn't have life for miles around, the sky was black and the background had trees and stuff (despite that in that direction was BME and water where you just got off your Airboat) It looked like you just walked into a completely different location even though you were very close to BME. I dunno, maybe I missed part of the story but it didn't make much sense to me.

/end rambling.

For the most part however, the game was great. :thumbs:

I hated Nova Prospekt so much! Non-stop antlions the entire time without any place to rest. I couldn't keep up shooting them and to make it worse, the Combine was there too!! That was just really annoying. I must have killed a thousand antlions by the time that chapter ended.

... ok, being serious now...

I hated Route Kanal, that chapter was very boring and I could barely stand replaying it a 2nd time.

I really enjoyed a lot of things in each chapter, it's hard to pick a least favorite... Maybe Ravenholm, I kept getting lost there, or running out of ammo, and I swear some of the zombies were respawning. But it was also an extremely cool chapter in many other ways, so I don't want to call it the worst. Kanal was a little dull. Anticitizen One had some mildly irritating parts, but I enjoyed the challenge. I guess I'll go with Kanal being least favorite, but I still had fun with it.

Citadel was definitley the most boring part of the game. The developers must've been smoking crack when they said

"Ok, we can take away all the players weapons except the gravity gun and we can make it into a super OMGHAX gravity gun it will be so leet!!!!!1!11111111"

definately ravenholm, the setting is different then any other part of the game, and the running zombies were hurtful

water hazard, too long and tedious.
i really like ravenholm, it shows just waht the combine can do when shelling a place, however i usually blow through it as fast as i can, because i overplayed it when the demo came out

least favorite: sandtraps and the levels surrounding it.

but I would rather have them then nothing at all

I liked route kanale but the

prison level and the levels before and after it rocked. the turrets are annoying kind of, but the big time shootouts, where
Alyx says, "Im detecting movement from all angles!", and the antlion queen battle (on hard skill level) make up for it

The C-17 chapters near the end, because I thought the story lost focus on what events were most important to follow. For example, you run out of Kliener's lab to look for Barney with Dog, but once Dog dissapears, you just seemed to be running around aimlessly. In all the other chapters, there was a definite sense of where you needed to go, but not in these ones. It isn't until the next chapter that you find Barney, and then you're suddenly thrown into that bank/museum thing, which I'm still not entirely clear on (why must we open that particular gate to get into the Citadel? Wouldn't it be safer to avoid the streets near the Citadel entirely due to the Striders?). It just all felt cheap and lazy to me, compared to the rest of the game.

And this is all without mentioning the shoddy friendly AI when in those tight, cramped apartment blocks. Bleh. More fun to just run ahead without them.

i loooooovvveed ravenholm but i hated.........hmmmmm........canals totally

lease favorite has to be ravenholm or anticitizen 1. i loved the rest of the game and my fav level was follow freeman. ravenholm was good, but it got really boring to just shoot zombies in the face for an hour.

Theres a bit, I think in Prospekt where u just get slammed by so manhy dudes, manhacks galore.

As for crowbaring them - u have to be like a baseball batter - wait for the ball to get near and then swing away.

Gordon really needs a flame thrower in this game.

Yeah the AI is very shoddy - like 1998 type coding. In addition, the game has a bug where Barney decides to take a dump and not open one particular gate. It may be their copy protect acting up again - like it did in HL1 - when suddenly every1 started dying for no reason.

Least favourite probably would be Ravenholm... the mass zombies aren't much fun for me, and fast zombies seem wrong somehow.

i thought the screaming running mad zombies were great. the first time you see one is one of the best bits of the game. but i must agree ravenholm did become kinda repetitive, yet it was still great fun.

Calanen said:
Theres a bit, I think in Prospekt where u just get slammed by so manhy dudes, manhacks galore.

As for crowbaring them - u have to be like a baseball batter - wait for the ball to get near and then swing away.

Gordon really needs a flame thrower in this game.
you can use gravity gun againist them :/

KagePrototype said:
The C-17 chapters near the end, because I thought the story lost focus on what events were most important to follow. For example, you run out of Kliener's lab to look for Barney with Dog, but once Dog dissapears, you just seemed to be running around aimlessly. In all the other chapters, there was a definite sense of where you needed to go, but not in these ones. It isn't until the next chapter that you find Barney, and then you're suddenly thrown into that bank/museum thing, which I'm still not entirely clear on (why must we open that particular gate to get into the Citadel? Wouldn't it be safer to avoid the streets near the Citadel entirely due to the Striders?). It just all felt cheap and lazy to me, compared to the rest of the game.

And this is all without mentioning the shoddy friendly AI when in those tight, cramped apartment blocks. Bleh. More fun to just run ahead without them.

You have a good point, but i felt there was a definate goal. Which was to reach the citadel, like Barney said in Klieners lab, theyre leading a push towards the citadel. I didn't feel it was aimless because wherever i went, i knew the citadel was getting closer.

About the gate...I don't know..

FireCrack said:
Am i the only guy that actualy liked canals?

I loved the canals. :D The whole first half of the game is nigh on perfect IMO. It starts to lose it's balance slightly after Ravenholm, but only in a few places (the prison and citadel being just as good as the opening chapters).

You have a good point, but i felt there was a definate goal. Which was to reach the citadel, like Barney said in Klieners lab, theyre leading a push towards the citadel. I didn't feel it was aimless because wherever i went, i knew the citadel was getting closer.

About the gate...I don't know..

I definately felt that in the second half of Follow Freeman! after the Nexus, but I just felt lost before finding Barney. "Ooh, let's go into an underground tunnel for no apparent reason. Storm a barricade? Why the hell not? Should kill some time. Ooh, look! ANOTHER apartment block full of combine!" Meh.

"Hey Freeman, I was looking to join you."

"Great! Could you lead the way to the Citadel? I have no idea where I'm going here, and I can't find Barney anywhere."

"..."

"Um...hello?"

*poke*

"Sorry, Freeman."

"!?@?!?!@?"

"Reload, Doctor Freeman!"

KagePrototype said:
I loved the canals. :D The whole first half of the game is nigh on perfect IMO. It starts to lose it's balance slightly after Ravenholm, but only in a few places (the prison and citadel being just as good as the opening chapters).

I definately felt that in the second half of Follow Freeman! after the Nexus, but I just felt lost before finding Barney. "Ooh, let's go into an underground tunnel for no apparent reason. Storm a barricade? Why the hell not? Should kill some time. Ooh, look! ANOTHER apartment block full of combine!" Meh.

"Hey Freeman, I was looking to join you."

"Great! Could you lead the way to the Citadel? I have no idea where I'm going here, and I can't find Barney anywhere."

"..."

"Um...hello?"

*poke*

"Sorry, Freeman."

"!?@?!?!@?"

"Reload, Doctor Freeman!"

:LOL:

Yes, Anti citizen one was kinda sucky. I'm not one for urban combat generally, the only reason i liked Follow freeman, was the striders, the more interesting streets and the Nexus shootout.

Back