Left 4 Dead announced - Valve does zombies!

You went to Valve!? What, did you just ask?

I was invited.

It's funny, at Valve they always laugh at the 4 in the name too...

Whatever, you gotta have some cheese, I like it and think it's pretty clever :p

Heh, what a cool surprise! I'm sort of concerned though, how is Valve going to handle another project? Think of what they have going on: HL2: EP2, TF2, Portal (all with PC, X360, and PS3 versions), updating Source, running Steam, updating CS: S, updating DoD: S, and now helping with Left 4 Dead. They've never released one game on time, and now they're busy with four new ones?

Don't worry, they can just delay some more games to somewhat finish this one :). hahah. No but seriously this game is probably the reason why episode 2 was delayed.

COALslaw: No it wasn't.

This game is developed by Turtle Rock, with Valve only as a co-developer. All of the other Cabals do work on their sections, while pretty much only doing play testing for L4D and providing gameplay feedback and such.

This wasn't anything that affected Ep2 or anything like that...

If anyone send me a PM containing no screenshots that would be super.

By the sounds of it, its going to be good. Valve seems to manage their resources in terms of knowledge / personnel very effectivly.

SO... many... new... valve... games...

And yeah the 4 is, SUPER GAY! But yeah...

And yeah as if Id ever wanna recieve a PM containing scans of PC Gamer.

As if...

BAH! just send me them. ;) Oh but err, no scans remember :D

This is going to be greatness. They haven't made a bad game yet, so having a good game with such an awesome concept will be awesome. Sure these mods have somewhat similar ideas, but you KNOW Valve will produce.

Not saying anything against modders, but there have been let-downs in the past.

Oh and please don't send me the scans either.

You know, Turtle Rock's the actual developer for this project.

True. But I have also yet to see Valve support a game that hasn't turned out well.

CZ was technically good, but it was already done. It was CS + new skins. But yeah I guess it was a failure..although technically it was still a hit, because it was just a clone of CS.

I certainly don't want anyone to send me any pms that contain anything other than text information about this game. No siree bob.

At first I wasn't too excited for this, but after someone didn't send me the scans from a magazine that definitely wasn't this one, I'm suddenly, and for no valid reason at all, desperately awaiting this game.

Was that pushing it?

You all are. Grr.

was this just in the uk pcgamer? no scans fo shiz. please?

Iced_Eagle: can you post more information about the different types of zombies? weapons? hell, just about anything would be awesome :D

Steven yes because there have been so many of them thats been released so far, pretty pointless to complain about all the zombie mods untill we have a bunch thats playable innit?

Uh, I just wanna say this:
[opens console]
alias noscansplz "don't gimme some scans no more plz; anyhoo I want you to pm me no scans NOW"
bind j "noscansplz"
j
[/closes console]
now, let's see wether I do get scans. What implies that I get no scans, of course. Cause if he doesn't send me scans- I'll be grateful, cause I got bant on hlworld, me fool :'( That's why I'm not gonna see no scanlations. Cause I got bant off hl2world and cause nobody will pm me, cause I begged you NOT to send me scans.

Well, on the topic, VALVe probably isn't spending much time on l4d, secondly the 4 is not gay, I didn't care about it in the first place as long it's gonna be some tight shite, also the four makes sense
Left 4 dead? What a stupid name. -No, it's called L4D cause there's only four players allowed. -Oh, NOW I get it. Hehe, left four dead. -John -Yes? -Go awai.
Sure, cz sucked but can't always complain about everything. I'd say people can't not be longing for some new experiments concerning coop gameplay and player interaction, so it's gonna own the mods anyway, as well as tf:source is gonna own tf:forever and all that shit. IMO

I haven't read all of the comments, but:
Coop games didnt start with Sven Coop, so no ripping there. Coop games have always been popular amongs a certian crowd.
Ripping ZM? Afaik L4D was started before ZM was.
New original co-op survival horro game created by turtle rock. It all started many years ago when me and a co-worker at troika were having a blast setting up condition zero bots in overwhelming numbers with knives. My friend and roomate was working at turtle rock and introduced the idea and they took it a long ways further from there.

I thought this was "No More Room In Hell" or did they change the name? Or is it two completely seperate games? They both are survival horror games from valve. so huh!?

While No More Room in Hell is a mod, this is a full game developed by Turtle Rock studios in conjunction with Valve.

Oh sweet. Well i'm looking forward to both of them. i'm a zombie freak =P. any zombie game i pretty much jump all over.

I wonder if there will be versatility... that would be neat if you can (roleplay) go mad and kill everythign in sight, friend or foe. :)
(Me in sith academy)

Iced_Eagle: can you post more information about the different types of zombies? weapons? hell, just about anything would be awesome :D

Zombie Types:

- Normal zombie... Mindless, can lunge at you and are all pretty fast. They don't just wobble towards you and it's easy-pickings. These are all AI controlled.
- Hunter: Zombie with a leap attack and can turn invisible unless a flashlight is put on them, or they attack... Can't remember details on it too much though.
- Boomer: A fat zombie that is fairly slow. He explodes when killed and can barf on the survivors which makes any nearby zombies come towards him and they are his only target.
- Tank/Hulk: Big strong guy who can throw concrete... You don't want to mess with him!
- Smoker: A zombie that when he dies emits a huge cloud of smoke where you can't see at all while in it. He also has a long tongue to pull survivors towards him... Useful in seperating the survivors to make them easy pickings for other zombies.

For the weapons for the survivors:

- M4A1
- Uzi
- Sniper
- Frag Grenade
- Molotov Cocktail
- Pistol
- Shotgun

There may be more, but that's all I remember.

Iced_eagle...weird, i thought he said something about 'await the blabla' in his signature recently, can it be he was trying to tell us about the new game?
Question for you, will four players be the maximum, will you only play humans and also, do the four characters distinguish between each other in their choice of weapons and that stuff or special abilities, cause from what I've seen there's a big lad with some carbine, a skinny girl with akimbo sidearms and some other two dudes, one with the swift smg and the other with a powerfull shotgun.

Final graphical effects weren't in, so I don't know.

W4d5Y: The player models are merely cosmetic and voice differences. They don't have any special abilities, advantages, or weapons linked to the models. The models are chosen for you at random at the start of the round.

One cool thing is that each model has it's own voice which makes a huge difference when you hear all 4 players talking because you know which character is which of your teammates. It's a small, but much needed and nice touch.

Back