Left 4 Dead Blog Update: The Intro Movie

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
The Left 4 Dead blog as been updated with the process the development team went through creating the introductory opening sequence we see in the Left 4 Dead trailers and when we open the game, setting the scene on the 'No Mercy' rooftop.[br]They outline how it was new territory for the team since no other Valve games has a movie-like intro, and they had to go through a few drafts before getting to the well polished version which was released. Check out the blog to see the actual draft movies created and how things progressively improved.[br]Most notably you'll see the old character skins, no lip syncs, some awful ideas, lack of animations and a ridiculous relationship vibe between Zoey and Francis (thankfully which was cut!). Really interesting to see the changes. Left 4 Dead blog.

Very interesting blog-post. I'd quite like to see storyboards and whatnot of older ideas and designs for the intro movie, but awesome all the same.

Good post, really interesting for weird people like me.

lol at the

"its gonna be ok-YAAAARRHG!"

Anyone else getting the feeling it was all done in-game?

It is done in-game.

I like how an ingame movie can still work great while EA's games use fancy CGI movies and their games suck.

Interesting how the first two videos were recorded with live valve players controlling the characters themselves.

Interesting how the first two videos were recorded with live valve players controlling the characters themselves.

I know... I wanted them to bob their guns up and down to mimic talking.

Ooh, they should have done it in gmod!

Interesting post, to say the least. I can't believe that it was made in-game for the first few times. I've also never seen that model of francis. God he looked stupid.

Interesting post, to say the least. I can't believe that it was made in-game for the first few times. I've also never seen that model of francis. God he looked stupid.

That Francis looked a million times more badass than the one we have now who looks like a gay biker. There's nothing like a bird's nest under your chin to tell the undead that you shouldn't be trifled with.

Unskinned Zoey is scary D:

I wish they had kept the hunter-falling-on-the-car bit, that was pretty sweet.

I love looking back to early videos of a game. Like Episode Two. It's interesting to see how much it's changed.

Valve should seriously consider making a full-length animation movie. They can't seem to find the right people with the right ideas for a Half-Life movie, so maybe they should do it themselves?

Yes, that's a good idea. Let's not mention the Half-Life:Uplink movie.

Valve should seriously consider making a full-length animation movie. They can't seem to find the right people with the right ideas for a Half-Life movie, so maybe they should do it themselves?

That's quite a fair point. Although, if they were to make a movie they would be diverting a lot of resources away from games which wouldn't be so good.

Back