Left 4 Dead Now Available for Pre-purchase via Steam

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center"></div>[br]

October 15, 2008 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the PC version of its highly anticipated new survival co-op game, Left 4 Dead, is available for pre-purchase worldwide via Steam, a leading online platform for the distribution and management of PC games with over 15 million accounts worldwide.[br]

Left 4 Dead is a new franchise from Valve, and has earned numerous awards it march to launch this holiday, including "Best of E3" Awards from Game Infomer and Maximum PC magazines. Like the pre-purchase promotions happening at retail for the PC and Xbox 360 versions, those who pre-purchase via Steam will save 10% off the regular price. The pre-order promotions are part of a $10 million marketing campaign that includes television, outdoor, online and print advertising.[br]

"With just over four weeks until launch, Left 4 Dead is showing every sign of topping The Orange Box on both the PC and Xbox 360, at retail as well as on Steam," said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. "Our pre-sell numbers at retail have jumped to over 65% greater than Orange Box at the same proximity to launch, and we're seeing tremendous enthusiasm for the product in what promises to be another great year for gaming on both platforms."[br]

Set in the immediate aftermath of the highly-anticipated zombie apocalypse, Left 4 Dead features single player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay modes. Next-generation artificial intelligence tailors the pacing and difficulty ensuring a different experience every time the game is played.[br]

Left 4 Dead is due for release on PC and Xbox 360 on November 18 in North America and November 21 in Europe. The worldwide Steam release will happen November 18. For more information and to pre-order see herehttp://store.steampowered.com/app/500/

Worked out as $52.86 after 10% off and then the tax for me in the UK, so about 30 quid.

Well don't forget...:D

Like the pre-purchase promotions happening at retail for the PC and Xbox 360 versions, those who pre-purchase via Steam will save 10% off the regular price

Have made my decision to purchase retail.

Going to be buying 1 retail 1 steam copy! For me and my brother.

I'm a bit disapointed with the price. Valve never charged so much for a game. Even that it is a really good game, that's not valve.

But well, I'm gonna buy it anyway. i just won't buy it today because right now dollars is too expensive(I live in Brazil). Gotta wait this crisis pass... But I'm certainly getting it before November the 18th. GOTTA PLAY IT!

finally, but I expected a lower price like 35$
o well

Starting to get annoying. Why does every now automatically expect every valve game to be a 25 dollar game... Thats really just the episodes because they arent technically the length of a full feature game, although id say based off quality its worth around 60 bucks... Left 4 Dead is not an episode. Its a full feature game. its not a strict multiplayer game with 'arena-like' maps. Its like a single player experience that you play with other people, known as coop. This game was practically built from scratch ASIDE the engine. Its got a lot of replayability and practically everything is new, unlike the episodes where youll see a lot of similar content recycled (obviously with a lot of new).

Wow, sorry, thats not supposed to be a harsh rant or anything for people who are dissapointed to see this game tag as a full game.. but it is a full game... and considering fallout 3 and deadspace are 60 bucks, 45 isnt soo bad.... i would only consider NOT getting this game if it was over 200 bucks... lol

OMFG GTFO cheap-o's! :angry: Your complaining about Valve putting this full featured game at $45 on Steam ($50 in store) and most games like COD 4 retail for $60?! GTFO PLEASE! Anyways, I expect a "meet the" video or some type of intro next week or even this Friday. Hopefully a pre-load next week. Then a demo first week of November. Valve is spending $10 million in advertising alone and they put this game out for $45 with free content updates later on. Even then people whine about the price. Maybe you will be happy when it's "your" price back when HL came out in 1998 for $20. :hmph:

Wow holy shit..why jump on someone who doesn't agree with L4D being a full price game. Personally I was surprised at the price, you can say all you want about "its a single player game experience that you play with others", but the fact of the matter is its multiplayer game, and only that. I'm not saying that the game isn't going to be good enough to justify the price, but like others said valve usually does not charge full price for a multiplayer-only game (I mean come on The Orange Box cost $45 when it came out and it came with 3 games, this is just multiplayer). I'm sure I'll be called a whiner, but I just don't have the money to pay full price for this game (and yes I do have a job, but I also have bills to pay), I'll get it eventually though.

Well look at it this way: do you like Lego's? I like Lego's as a kid and still do but those sets cost a lot of money. They had other rip-off brands that came out but they didn't have many pieces and felt rather cheap. You get what you pay for. It is a full game as well. It's a single player for yourself or your friends. OR you can have a multiplayer game as the Infected. Plus there will be new movies, characters, guns, and even Infected for free. Saying that Valve has never charged this much for a game and saying they wanted it for $35 is pushing it. Especially an independent game developer that is spending millions on a game, then spending $10 million on the advertising alone. Gabe does need to support his knife and eating hobbies you know. :naughty: *Did you know that Lego's and Valve are both privately owned companies and not a corporation as well? This means they don't have the extra wiggle room and cash flow from a normal dev like DICE studios. DICE is operated by EA and Valve is just getting their games published by EA. It's hard to be privately owned so by supporting them, you will continue to support Valve in making games such as L4D. :)

I didn't say I am cheap or anything.
I am just USED that valve got low prices.
45 is a great price for this game..

I'll wait for the demo, just to see if it's playable. If it is then great!

Yeh I didn't realise it would be so expensive, especially with the USD so high. How much was the Orange Box? I doubt its as good value as that.

$50 is way to much...even though it is a valve game and even though it will be a sweet multiplayer game. I'm willing to bet that this game is primarily a multiplayer game with the single player version tacked on (think battlefield 1942).

If the single player experience is randomly really good, then I'll take those words back...but I have a pretty good feeling that this game will only be good/great when playing with other human beings.

I'm not afraid of playing with other human beings so I'll preorder it.

Way to expensive ;(;(;(;(

I just pre-ordered Far cry 2 for 30USD and Fallout 3 for 38 USD ..... This games are way longer than L4D ... i know that multiplayer expierience can last for hours but there is not enough content for 54 $ (in my country)

Piss off, hool, and let people whine.

I'll be getting the retail version because I don't mind paying ?5 for a box.

Steam - Update News (1 of 2): Left 4 Dead - Pre-purchase now and save 10%. - 44.99USD
Steam - Update News (2 of 2): Peggle Nights - More Peggle Now On Steam - 9.99USD

hmmmmm! decisions!

Will pre order later tonight. Bit more expensive than I thought it would be considering the orange box was the same price but I'm not complaining :)

$67 AUD - Steam. Broken currency, get back to 90cents to the USD.
$77 AUD - retail.

sweet! Just pre-ordered mine Steam, going to pre order at gamestop for the 360 version, to atleast save $5.

but the fact of the matter is its multiplayer game, and only that. .

wow, pure and simple, thats incorrect. I dont even need to say much more but just so you get it, i will. A coop game is a single player game, with other real-life players, where it has AI, scripted sequences and everything a sp game would. That is what left 4 dead is, it has zombie AI, scripted sequences, and a story...

Counter-strike is a multiplayer, and a multiplayer only. It consist of simply 2 teams who kill each (sometimes its just DM where everyone simply kills each other and no teams) other in closed-ended maps, and simply repeat this... Do you understand the difference??? so dont call left 4 dead a multiplayer game and ONLY that... Thats like calling fallout 3 a gun/shooting game, and only that...

I see what you're saying, but Left 4 Dead could be considered both. It has the mode which 4 survivors are fighting AI zombies, then it has the mode where it can be 4 vs 4.

*shrugs*

I don't understand what some of you are bitching about. The majority of internet users have some type of a broadband connection and half of the games released these days are multiplayer only. Most new games are between 39.99 and 49.99. So,what's the deal?
For ****s sake,it's Valve after all.

Worked out as $52.86 after 10% off and then the tax for me in the UK, so about 30 quid.

Yeah the tax was a bit of a stickler for me and all... considering that they charge you vat & import tax for a digital product that you download is kinda stupid.

Still i'm looking forward to the game :)

All I can say is if Valve charged $50 for TF2 by itself it would have been worth it (but I sure would have complained about the price though lol) but even so I have put in 280 hours on TF2. At $50 that would come out to less than .003 cents per minute. Not too shabby.

I think Valve is really banking on this game being huge.

Back