Let me get this streight

X

xerogeno

The combine is a group of Aliens whom when they take a planet they brainwash a group of them to police the remaining populace hence the soldiers you fight. Also,is it just me or does it seem the Gman is controling all of this?

No, it's just you. There is no indication, never mind any actual evidence, for this. Try again.

The Combine don't usually enslave a planet / planets, they use the Synths to wipe out everything (I think, also raises the point of how they got the Synths in the first place) The reason earth wasnt reduced to Charcoal was Dr.Breen talked for a truce and had a powerful bargaining chip (He knew humans could produce wokring Teleportation technology)

Llama said:
The Combine don't usually enslave a planet / planets, they use the Synths to wipe out everything (I think, also raises the point of how they got the Synths in the first place) The reason earth wasnt reduced to Charcoal was Dr.Breen talked for a truce and had a powerful bargaining chip (He knew humans could produce wokring Teleportation technology)

You've got that wrong. They usually assimilate intelligent life and their tech from all conquered plates. That's how they got the synth.

Yeah, I personally believe that the Combine seek out other worlds, and their way of life is to enslave and assimilate. I think that the Vortigaunts are supposed to be an example of the Combine methodology, despite what everyone else here seems to think.

pomegranate said:
No, it's just you. There is no indication, never mind any actual evidence, for this. Try again.
For God's sake, there's no reason to be so bloody ascerbic - it's not like he was asking the most retarded retread question that's ever been asked.

They haven't brainwashed the Metrocops - they'renormal people ho do it for extra food rations, etc.

el Chi said:
For God's sake, there's no reason to be so bloody ascerbic - it's not like he was asking the most retarded retread question that's ever been asked.

I'll post my response in any way I like, thankyou. I wasn't even being that ascerbic, it's a fairly 'flat' response. Who is he, your baby brother or something?

I was replying to this:

xerogeno said:
Also,is it just me or does it seem the Gman is controling all of this?

It's a stupid idea with no basis, and no explanation even suggested. I don't suffer fools, sorry, and I get bored of reading the same old pointless/nonsense ideas.

Well, the G-Man certainly isn't a friend to the Combine if he used Gordon to get rid of their Citadel.

Teh G-Mans is teh masters of teh Universes!!11:rolling:

Redneck said:
You've got that wrong. They usually assimilate intelligent life and their tech from all conquered plates. That's how they got the synth.

But why dont you see any Combine Troops other than Synth. It seems to me that the Combine found Synths to be such powerful machines they dont need any other races. Technology perhaps, but why spare the populace? Humans arn't very well adapted organisms if you think about it

pomegranate said:
I'll post my response in any way I like, thankyou. I wasn't even being that ascerbic, it's a fairly 'flat' response. Who is he, your baby brother or something?

I was replying to this:

It's a stupid idea with no basis, and no explanation even suggested. I don't suffer fools, sorry, and I get bored of reading the same old pointless/nonsense ideas.
1. No he is not my baby brother. No this does not mean any more or less that I think it was an unfair response. It was needlessly condescending and totally disproportionate considering it was a single post about being confused over an area of the plot in a computer game - it's not as if he made some ridiculous assertion about something that actually had any bearing on your life, so your "flat" response was a bit over the top.
I don't want to sound like some wannabe mod, so I'll leave it there - it just seemed to me that it would have been so easy for you just to leave the thread alone. If he was such a fool, it's not as if you helped him down from that into being sensible, you just had a pop athim when there was no point.
So yeah, well done on that. Try again.

I answered his question directly and literally. That is a flat response. Apart from 'Try again', there was nothing remotely unkind about my response, and even that is pretty reasonable.
Condescending and disproportionate would have been 'OMG you ****ing stupid newbie, don't you know anything, what are you, retarded, duhhh?? Jesus newbies are stupid', or something similar.
Maybe you need to adjust your scale of flamitude. Meanwhile, stop trying to play the good samaritan, it makes you look like a overzealous do-gooder.

Llama said:
But why dont you see any Combine Troops other than Synth. It seems to me that the Combine found Synths to be such powerful machines they dont need any other races. Technology perhaps, but why spare the populace? Humans arn't very well adapted organisms if you think about it

Well, apparantly the Combine finds use for slaves given that we see Stalkers manufacturing Synths in the Citadel.

In HL1, we see Vortigaunts on Xen working as slaves in a factory churning out Grunts.

Perhaps I do. Maybe it speaks to my character that I read that with a nasty, spat-out tone to it. Probably ';cause there's just so much bile out there anyway.

drunkymonkey said:
No. You won't. You won't if it is against the rules.

Sorry, I had thought it would be stating the bleedin' obvious to qualify what I said in that way. I guess I was being overoptimistic that there wouldn't be anyone pedantic enough to make that point.

Redneck said:
Teh G-Mans is teh masters of teh Universes!!11:rolling:
So he's He-Man?

Llama said:
But why dont you see any Combine Troops other than Synth. It seems to me that the Combine found Synths to be such powerful machines they dont need any other races.
The synths aren't all one race, or all from one planet. They took a bunch of creatures and forcibly evolved them into a mixture of organics and machinery. They weren't machines at all, to begin with. And while it might seem that humans would be worthless compared to synths, we have no idea what the Combine could eventually use us for. Stalkers are just menial labor, but the trans-human arm of the Combine could prove an effective force later on. If you look at some of the concept art from Raising the Bar, you'll see what the Combine had in store for human beings (armored suits and the like).

Just remember that striders didn't start out with pulse cannons on their underbellies, and dropships were probably a creature never meant to carry anything inside of them. The Combine can do amazing things with their biomech technology.

Darkside55 said:
So he's He-Man?

The synths aren't all one race, or all from one planet. They took a bunch of creatures and forcibly evolved them into a mixture of organics and machinery. They weren't machines at all, to begin with. And while it might seem that humans would be worthless compared to synths, we have no idea what the Combine could eventually use us for. Stalkers are just menial labor, but the trans-human arm of the Combine could prove an effective force later on. If you look at some of the concept art from Raising the Bar, you'll see what the Combine had in store for human beings (armored suits and the like).

Just remember that striders didn't start out with pulse cannons on their underbellies, and dropships were probably a creature never meant to carry anything inside of them. The Combine can do amazing things with their biomech technology.

Im sure you're right, I just dont like being proved wrong :p But yeah, I knew they wernt machines, they just seemed to share some features which makes me think they are from the same ecosystem.

Well sorry if I sounded like a bumbling idiot. I just beat the game saturday after renting it thursday so yeah I dont know quite a bit. But from what I see those cops look pretty messed up....but if I had the choice to either be a cop doing the beating instead of being the one being beatin then I would probably choose to be a psycho cop :cheese:

Also, I read in a walkthrough somewhere, it was legit, and it was saying that Nova Prospekt was being used to brainwash people into those soldiers.....

Cops = evil volunteers
Overwatch = mechanically augmented supersoldiers
Stalkers = mechanically augmented slaves
Synths = pwnage

xerogeno said:
Well sorry if I sounded like a bumbling idiot. I just beat the game saturday after renting it thursday so yeah I dont know quite a bit. But from what I see those cops look pretty messed up....but if I had the choice to either be a cop doing the beating instead of being the one being beatin then I would probably choose to be a psycho cop :cheese:

Also, I read in a walkthrough somewhere, it was legit, and it was saying that Nova Prospekt was being used to brainwash people into those soldiers.....

How do you go from typing up a normal post to...

xerogeno said:
Well u can say about gordon being a one man army. But heres the thing. The marine in D3 got LUCKY. if u notice mostly...if not ALL of the marines in D3 along with the group living there died...cept this one gosu marine....Gordon plays same role in HL2 as does Master Chief in Halo. so I c what u all mean about tough marines in D3 but Ur theo nly real dude who survived the masscre on mars...I think if the demons had spawned on earth we wouldnt of survived....and i doubt we would use nukes...just like what people have said why we didnt nuke the citadels

?

Also, the reason we couldn't nuke the Citadels is because they were in the centre of cities full of people.

xerogeno said:
As vikram said, the combine overwatch are "mechanically augmented." The biggest "augment" being their brains are partially lobotomized, they get their memories wiped, presumably their emotions are cleared and they're turned into killing machines. At least, the combine super soldiers (the guys in white) go that far. Regular overwatch might not be THAT bad, but they do have their memories wiped and get some enhancement implants.

Llama, I think the reason all synths look the same is just the Combine's design. They like to simplify things down, and maybe it has something to do with the synthification process, or maybe they just like being consistent with the look of their army. If nothing else, I could see the strider and the gunship coming from the same planet, but not the dropship. Crab synths and mortar synths also look like they're from other worlds.

Darkside55 said:
Llama, I think the reason all synths look the same is just the Combine's design.

My theory-
Gunships and dropships are from one world. They share a blue -green skin on the upper body, white skin below and have blue jets(on ht belly of the gunship, and arms of dropship).

Crab and Mortar Synth are from another world. They seem to share a strong influence of bottle green all over their body. They looked similar to me.

Striders are from an entirely different world, with a beetle like body and spidery legs..

To respond to you Samon.....I do that sometimes... I start typing really fast and speak in shorthand, so I use U instead of YOU and that was a typo later on. I doit unconsciously....is it really that big of a problem?

xerogeno said:
To respond to you Samon.....I do that sometimes... I start typing really fast and speak in shorthand, so I use U instead of YOU and that was a typo later on. I doit unconsciously....is it really that big of a problem?

Yes. The fabric of the universe is falling apart.

Basse said:
he's.... he-man?
I just said that! You're stealing me words! :angry:

(j/k mate) :cheers:

Vikram, despite the colors, I think dropships are from a different world than the gunships because they look different. Their muscles are exposed, and they're very sinewy, like ropes. Their outer layer seems flesh-like, as well. Striders and gunships share a similar sectioned carapace with soft underparts.

However, it's still possible that striders came from somewhere different and gunships and dropships are from the same world. Aside from color, there's the flying aspect...perhaps their world was gaseous or the surface was too hot or something, and they flew around. That'd make sense.

Then again, there's nothing that says the Combine couldn't have just engineered certain things to fly, and the colors might just be a design thing; the same could be said of these creatures' exoskeletons. Oh, those Combine and their experiments...who knows how they work or what they'll do next? :p

99.vikram said:
My theory-
Gunships and dropships are from one world. They share a blue -green skin on the upper body, white skin below and have blue jets(on ht belly of the gunship, and arms of dropship).

Crab and Mortar Synth are from another world. They seem to share a strong influence of bottle green all over their body. They looked similar to me.

Since they're modified anyway what's to say crab/mortar synths weren't originally 1 species before the Combine started on them? ;)

Eejit said:
Since they're modified anyway what's to say crab/mortar synths weren't originally 1 species before the Combine started on them? ;)

OK, so it wasn't so much a theory as a musing. *takes out dictionary*

Back