Let The Truth Be Told

joule

Tank
Reaction score
Well... here it is. I really don't know how to start this, but I'll just go with it.

So my dad drinks. He drinks excessively. Daily. He is considered an alcoholic. He places alcohol at the top of his list of priorities. He's been like this for at least 10 years. Worse yet, he never learns from the mistakes he makes. This only makes things worse and situations even more difficult to deal with. I don't want to be around him when he's like this, but when he's not, he's really a great dad. It has virtually taken over his life. It's a damn shame.

We were all once a big, happy family with a nice house and everyone got along just fine. But, you know, shit happens and things don't turn out so great.

My mom's no Mother Theresa either. Sorry to say this about my own mother, but she's a psychotic bitch who couldn't give two shits about me. After my parents got divorced, I then lived with my mom for about 2 years. After dealing with all the bullshit and emotional/verbal abuse, I couldn't take it anymore. This triggered my decision to get out of there and go live with my dad. I only found this out until later, but, my sister isn't even my real sister. My mom cheated on my dad before they had gotten married, and he hadn't known. Really, it's a big mess and I don't want to go much into it, but this is the only reason why I am living with my dad. Kind of a lose-lose situation if you think about it.

Now my dad attends AA meetings every Monday, but you know what, this doesn't help at all if he just comes home and drinks himself away each and every night only to pass out on the couch while I have to clean up his messes. I guess I have a high tolerance level to deal with all of this for so long.

You'd think he would've learned from the car accident he was in, in late 2001. Having lost his sense of smell, taste, and his left eye, the incident didn't phase him it seems. This put him on disability, and a very limited monthly income, which he's still on. Even worse, it was the mixture of the prescription drug, Xanax(which he purchases illegally) and alcohol that, I believe, led to his accident. I know he fell asleep at the wheel.

The repercussions over the years and tallied drunk-driving tickets have led to him losing his license for ten years. So, you're right - he now takes the chance everyday of driving without a license. Better yet, I have to drive him everywhere when he's sloshed. It's quite an embarrassment when we have to go to public places together. I don't think I need to elaborate any more on that.

The conditions here at home are manageable, but of course could be a lot better. But who am I to complain? I could definitely make more of an effort to make a difference. I won't be here for much longer anyway.

He's recently taken up the mucho expensive hobby of collecting train locks and keys, insulators, Monster magazines, and other unnecessary shit off of eBay. I truly hate it. He complains about money and wonders where it all goes.

Back to today and what finally drove me to type all of this. He's been "seeing" this slutty, toothless bitch, who just so happens to be an ex-drug addict and they're now in the living room having a "few" beers. Who knows when she'll leave. God, this is great! Uncomfortabililty factor FTL.

It'll come to ahead sooner or later, I know it. He'll end up dying from alcohol poisoning, taking his own life, or taking his and someone else's in a deadly car "accident".

Now I don't drink, nor do I smoke, or even want to. I despise the stuff honestly. Having the seen the effects on my dad and the God-aweful taste, I really don't see the benefits. Well maybe I'll have a few glasses of wine on special holiday occassions, but that's about it.

Yes, I realize this is an off-topic forum on a Half-Life 2 fansite, but I just needed to get this out. Whether it helps or not, that doesn't matter. Just me spilling my heart.

I really hope this doesn't change the way anyone feels about me, as a member and a friend. I don't want your sympathy. Please, give it to someone else who needs it.

My Dad used to drink excessively and he stole my Mother's painkillers for her "Degenerative Spine Disease". I hated him so bad. I had to move away for a while because he became violent and I flattened him on his butt and scared the crap outta him. But we moved and he's been clean for a while now. Goes to Church, etc and he's a really great guy.

Tough it thru, just gives you more of a reason to kick ass in life. (excuse my profanity) You're giving challenges in life because you are strong enough to deal with them. You are giving nothing you cannot deal with.

god horrible thing to live through ..there are support groups for kids of alcoholic parents (not sure how old you are) but he needs help ..although from your description nothing short of a court order is going to change his mind. Have you tried telling him how you're feeling?

CptStern said:
god horrible thing to live through ..there are support groups for kids of alcoholic parents (not sure how old you are) but he needs help ..although from your description nothing short of a court order is going to change his mind. Have you tried telling him how you're feeling?
I just turned 18. And I really don't care for support groups and all that shit. Been through it all to tell you the truth. I have tried telling him how I feel, but he denies the fact that he drinks so much. He sees nothing wrong with it.

"So what? It's only a few beers."

Moreso, he gets very defensive when I bring up the subject.

joule said:
I just turned 18. And I really don't care for support groups and all that shit. Been through it all to tell you the truth. I have tried telling him how I feel, but he denies the fact that he drinks so much. He sees nothing wrong with it.

yes of course he does ..because of guilt ..somewhere deep inside he knows it's not right. You gotta keep trying. Oh and support groups can help. You are of legal age ..you should see if you qualify for a government loan/grant to go away to college, it would help you tremendously

joule said:

You can try, but it's unlikely that anything you do will change your father's lifestyle. He (probably) has to make that decision himself.

What I would do next is get out of that house as quickly as possible. College, job after high school, whatever.

edit:

And make sure you work really hard so you don't have to depend on your parents. You should still be there for them and care about them, of course.

Nat Turner said:
You can try, but it's unlikely that anything you do will change your father's lifestyle. He (probably) has to make that decision himself.

What I would do next is get out of that house as quickly as possible. College, job after high school, whatever.

edit:

And make sure you work really hard so you don't have to depend on your parents. You should still be there for them and care about them, of course.
Agreed.

I'm very lucky in the fact that both my parents have been with me through everything and my homelife is very stable.

My thoughts are with you Joule :)

joule, quite a sad story. i hope discussing this makes you feel better. its terrible that most people need to hit rock bottom just to see how badly they have hurt others around them. maybe one day he will understand.

Dude :O

My sympathies are with you (or with your crossbow bolt if you don't need them :p)

my dad used to drink, the reason my mom divorced him, but he's since stopped and is now serving in Iraq (not as army but as a contractor hired by the army) so my opinion of him has risen exponentially. I hope your dad comes to his senses sooner or later and realizes what he's doing to himself and everybody else.

My Dad was an alcoholic until I was about 5. He still has the occasional beer once in awhile in front of me but, legally, he's not supposed to (divorce, visitations, courts, etc.).

I really don't know what to say about your position but I'd sure be looking forward to moving out.

Originally Posted by Joule
But who am I to complain?

You have all the right in the world to complain. These situations are incredibly difficult, and it always helps to open up a bit (albeit to kooky internet nerds).

i know what you are going through man :( one of my uncles that i have been close to for years now has just started drinking heavily, pisses me off really. he has already been in a major accident and had to get his freakin leg amputated, i thought that was going to be a wake up call...but hey like people have said "keep pushing to get inside of him" make him see what he is doing wrong, force him to see that it is hurting you. hopefully that will help alittle. my thoughts are with you person that i have never met. :)

joule said:
he denies the fact that he drinks so much. He sees nothing wrong with it.

My old man says exactly the same thing. He has always drunk and will continue to do so. I have tried to talk to him but am now at the point where I know it is pointless.

It is difficult to accept but alcoholics cannot be helped unless they admit they have a problem. My old man never will, he blames all his ill health on everything other than the fact he drinks himself senseless every night.

I simply wash my hands of it and walk away.

Back