LFD2 and TF2 crash on start.

IChewExtra

Sandvich
Reaction score
So I wanted to play LFD2 with a friend so I clicked play. It crashed not even 10 seconds after starting. Did the verify cache thingy, still didnt work. Deleted and reinstalled, still didnt work. So I downloaded and installed TF2 because its by the same comoany. ANd what do ya know, crashed just as fast.
I would like help, I know its not my computer because its so much better then needed for these games, and my card is up to date driver wise

Did it work before, or was it crashing since the first time you tried it ?

It worked on my old computer, but since I upgraded everything even the hard drive yesterday was the first time I tried to play it. So it's been crashing since first time you could say.

Does it give you an error message like "hl2.exe has stopped working" or does it just disappear?

"left4dead2.exe has stopped working" and I just uninstalled steam off my computer, redownloaded steam, then redownloaded left 4 dead and same thing

try launching any other source game or game in general. if nothing works its not a steam related issue, I'll try looking into it

BioShock Infinite worked just fine. TF2 crashed just like LFD2

Hmm, well that narrows it down to source games only. whats your computer specs?

Video Card's a 770
CPU's an i7-3770k @ 3.5 ghz
16 gigs of some ram, dont know the exact model
a fatal1ty z77 motherboard
So I can run anything I want, but the valve games just wont load.
I know my video card drivers are up to date.

Looks like most people with this problem has a problem with drivers or background programs that messes with directx

put -dxlevel 81 in the game start up
If that doesn't work ill have to keep looking
also have source games worked on this computer before or haven't you tried before now?

"-dxlevel 81" Still didn't let the game load. And no, this is the first source game I've tried on this computer, it's all relatively new hardware.

Yeah the only thing I can find is that its problems with directx.
Try manually installing it from here

I forgot about this place but I opened the nvidia control panel and reset the global settings from maxed out everything to default and boom. Loaded right up, thanks for spending the time trying to help.

Back