Limbo

StarBob

Tank
Reaction score
Limbo

I had no idea what this was or where it came from, but I watched the trailer and it gave me chills. I tried the demo and it was really fun. I plan on picking it up at some point when I'm not spending all my money. It's sort of a puzzle platformer with really basic controls. I just thought I'd share my interest in it with all ya nerds.

Ah cool! I remember reading a little about this game before and being interested in it. Always thought it was awesome that they got government grants to make this game :D. Had no clue it was finished. I'm sure I will buy this sometime, but probably not until Steam holiday sale, as I'm also doing some spending balancing at the moment.

[edit] Did Steam even promote this at all? Because sometimes they promote some pretty crappy stuff, but I don't remember seeing anything about Limbo except for this thread. Maybe I just clicked through the updates too fast. I'm hoping this game will have a similar impact on me as Braid, although the puzzles here seem much less involved. Definitely have to check out the demo soon.

Was always amazed by the trailers. Didn't realise it was on steam already. Bought it just then, thanks for the heads up.

excellent game, worth every penny IMHO

[edit] Did Steam even promote this at all? Because sometimes they promote some pretty crappy stuff, but I don't remember seeing anything about Limbo except for this thread. Maybe I just clicked through the updates too fast. I'm hoping this game will have a similar impact on me as Braid, although the puzzles here seem much less involved. Definitely have to check out the demo soon.

I don't think they did a popup promotion but it showed up in the slidey promotional thing on the store page. I really only looked at it because it's been the top seller despite Red Orchestra's preorder showing up. I watched the trailer and I just sat in awe. I think I'm going to sell some old PS2 games to keep up with all these new games coming out.

I figured it was somewhere with all the awards it has. I don't own a current gen console so I am out of the loop a lot of times.

Just finished it then.

I won't lie, it is a good game, but sadly only half of what could've been an incredible masterpiece. The first half is absolutely, positively pitch perfect. And then it loses it's way around

The descent into the factory. Suddenly the developers abandon all sense of mystery and wonder and beauty and crams you into what's essentially a monochrome 2D platformer. The ending might have had more resonance had the earlier ideas been elaborated on a bit more. It's clear the developers were gunning for something in the first half, drip feeding (very well) clues and a sense of what's going in the world before realising they had no idea how to continue on and just slapped some puzzles on to pad out the length. The story thus, half finished, is so stupidly vague that any deeper analysis of the plot is pretty much useless.

Which really rustles my jimmies. Because they had something there. They had a puzzle game so very cleverly masquerading as an actual world (akin to what Heart of Darkness once tried, but failed to do). The game is terribly beautiful for that first half as well, as is the audio and imagination. I couldn't rave about it enough. It was perfectly paced, and had you so immersed that you would do things logical of a human being rather than that of a gamer.

For example, for every other being I saw, the sense of loneliness in the game had drawn me in to the stage that I instinctively ran towards them for company, despite the danger inherent. I recall most vividly running for my "sister" and completely missed a brain slug in the way, such was my rush to meet her.

Such a missed opportunity. But what is one to do.

done every achievement except the "complete the game in five lives or less" one. God damn SUCKS.

done every achievement except the "complete the game in five lives or less" one. God damn SUCKS.
Stop bragging!:p

I only have two on the 360, "Where Credit is due" and "Wrong Way" :(

ITT morgs talks about his struggle as an achievement whore.

Just watched the trailer for Limbo and it does look pretty cool, never noticed it before because I never pay attention to the Arcade. May pick this up at some point.

Loved the demo, will probably pick this up on a holiday sale or something.

It's under 10 dollars. It's an indie game. It's well reviewed. It has a demo. Why on earth wait for a sale? Give the author the money he needs to continue developing games. Wait for a sale on that $60+ AAA title, not on some tiny indie game that costs you very little already! Support independent developers!

Normally I hate indie games but I always have a thing for these kind of sidescrolling games.

Back