Linux pre-installed on PS3 HDD...

Reaction score
Just in case no one has read the Gamespot article/interview(taken from Impress PC Watch), here's the main point according to Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi:

KK: This time, we're positioning the PS3 as a "supercomputer." But people won't recognize it as a computer unless we call it a computer, so we're going to run an OS on it. In fact, the Cell can run multiple OSes. In order to run the OSes, we need an HDD. So in order to declare that the PS3 is a computer, I think we'll have [the PS3's HDD] preinstalled with Linux as a bonus.

IPCW: So Linux can be run on the Cell?

KK: Linux is legacy, but it will be a start. In the case of the Cell, operation systems are applications. The kernel will be running on the Cell, and multiple OSes will be running on top of that as applications. Of course, the PS3 can run Linux. If Linux can run, so can Lindows. Other PC Operating Systems can run too, such as Windows and Tiger (Max OS X 10.4), if the publishers want [them] to do so. Maybe a new OS might come out.

Even if the HDD is sold separately, this is very exciting news indeed and I for one am very interested in the idea of such a very powerful device for ~$360-399.

Super computer lmao man sony is really loading up on the bs this time around.

Uhh.. You can load up an OS on XBox already.. Plus, I think it will be easier to load up an OS on XBox360, maybe not as easy as PS3, but still easier than XBox.

lol nice try Sony :p

They are really hyping this thing... wow... What's sad is that most of us know it won't deliver on a lot of things.

Yeah, take everything that Kutaragi says with a very large grain of salt. Case in point: his comments about how the X360 is actually a contender to the PS2 :LOL:

I agree, the hype machines for all 3 of the major consoles developers are in full swing, so nothing they say can really be trusted until product actually hits market. That said, the notion of getting what we all must admit should be a pretty big bang for the buck with either the 360 or the PS3 for such relatively low prices is very exciting for anyone considering taking their console out of the strictly gaming realm.

As I have said..
Consoles will end up as.... Personal Computers.

Iced_Eagle said:
lol nice try Sony :p

They are really hyping this thing... wow... What's sad is that most of us know it won't deliver on a lot of things.

How could they not possibly deliver on this? They really didn't promise much. Hell, an X-BOX can already run Linux and so can a PS2 dev-kit. Just about anything can run linux actually.

I am surprised they would be hyping this aspect, or even condoning it. As a game machine it's going to make it a lot easier for pirating (possibly even PC games, though I doubt it).

I am not excited for that
cuz the true I think is not necesary to hav all that PC features in a console that should be dedicated to gaming

Ps4\Xbox <Insert Stupid Name>:
Now the next gen will have the ability to upgrade certain parts, or even having a few versions made that have better/worse parts in them.

I bet this will eventually happen people... Consoles will become Pc's...... I can feel it...

What's the point? They had linux on the PS2 and I don't recall anything useful coming of it.

Back