Loads of new HL2 information!

lambda^2

Reaction score
Okay, this article was published on http://www.computerandvideogames.com today, though the author obviously wrote it before or during the E3. But it contains tons of information I haven't read (or seen) anywhere else so far, see for yourself. (And yes, Ive seen the Gamespot videos and interview, this here is totally new, at least to me)

Actually I'd only post a link to the article, but you have to fill a bunch of annoying registering forms there to read it, so I just copy-pasted the whole article... I hope this doesn't violate forum rules.

As i see there's a 10k character limit for every post, I'll have to cut some parts, you know where to find the full article. This here is something like 1/3rd of it.

----

HALF-LIFE 2

Martin Korda travels 6,000 miles to uncover the game the whole world's been waiting for

[...]

The Laws of Physics
"The first thing I'm going to show you is the tech engine, which we're calling Source. We've decided not to come up with a big engine name. First off, I'll show you the physics," began Doug as he panned around the tech-level on screen. Barrels, cans, bullet casings, bottles and dead bodies lay discarded on the ground, all boasting a level of detail I'd never seen in any game before. Although sparse, the environment was crisp and convincing, beautifully textured and shaded. With an object manipulation device (which won't feature in the game itself) he picked up a barrel and dropped it from a height. It slammed to earth, sending a hollow metallic crash resounding round the room, as it wobbled onto its side and began slowly rolling towards the edge of the screen with a satisfying grate.

[...]

Order and Chaos
Suddenly something unexpected happened. The rolling barrel, which we'd both assumed had stopped, had somehow gained enough momentum to drop into a pit on the other side of the level. "Wow, I've dropped that barrel a thousand times and it's never done that before." exclaimed Doug, a wide grin spreading across his face. Chaos Theory in a game engine? Now that's quality.

Over the next ten minutes, Doug let me play with a series of objects, each of which reacted exactly as they would in the real world. Bottles clunked and bullet cases rang as they hit the floor, each material and object making a different sound depending on what it came into contact with, and from what height it was dropped. But it was the rag-doll physics of the dead bodies that were most impressive, spinning and bucking when thrown against walls, sliding convincingly off a ledge when placed precariously on the edge of one. Taking a shotgun, I blew a wooden box to pieces, and watched as it splintered into a heap of jagged-edged planks. Then, walking over the wood-chippings, Gordon's movement became hampered by the irregular surface as he battled to maintain balance. "Both you and the NPCs will be weighted, and have physics properties simulated. Jay Steloy, our lead programmer since 1996, has been working on this technology for the better part of four years." Clearly it's been time well spent, and despite Doug's understated comments, Half-Life 2's physics system is without a doubt the most life-like I've ever seen.

[...]

"There's a guy called Dr Paul Ekman (www.paulekman.com) who did a bunch of research on the mentally ill, to find out what it means to look mentally ill. He came up with this whole language of facial expressions, incorporating the 40-odd facial expressions we all make, which can be mixed to create a sub-set of facial expressions. We basically took things from his research and made it applicable to Half-Life 2's facial animation system. So we have these simple sets of facial animation fonts, and they can be applied to Alyx, to an alien or whoever we want."

[...]

"After we got the faces and expressions right, we decided we had to go beyond the standard puppet, one-bone mouth look that we had in Half-Life, when characters spoke. Creating realistic lip-synching and acting was a really hard thing to do. We came up with a system that can go through and take the basic structures of a WAV file and extract the data for the mouth movement. So you can extract your sound or line of dialogue, inbed it into a WAV file independent of the game's language, and play it back across the facial animation system. This system identifies the sounds and volume which dictate the size of the opening and closing of the mouth. So you could drop in a line in English or Spanish and it will lip-synch it accordingly."

[...]

After this we moved to an area which Doug referred to as his Character Zoo, a series of rooms filled with enemies new and old. Reprising their role as cannon fodder are the Bullsquids and Head Crabs, although this time there's a whole family of the latter, ranging from the tiny to the unsettlingly large. Likewise, Zombies reappear, the symbiosis of the face-hugging Head Crabs and the hapless humans they infest, as do the ceiling hanging, string-on-a-mouth Barnacles, boasting incredibly detail with their multiple moving parts, which made them look little short of horrific. Apparently, there'll be more than 50 different enemies in all.

[...]

"As you can see we're doing full animation on these guys. One of the interesting things about them was getting the collision detection correct, so that it looks right when they're taking steps. These guys may need to climb stairs, or walk over uneven terrain, and all the while there's a whole load of work that's going on under the hood to make sure all this stuff comes to life, which we think will make the game really unique."

Finally, sensing my impatience to see the game in action, Doug quickly showed me a room full of extras, citizens of City 17 who will go about their lives around you. "These people won't have quite the level of facial animation that the main characters will have, as they won't be delivering any heavy duty lines. They'll all be unique, but many of them will be variations of each other." And on that note, he quit out of the level. It was time for me to get my hands dirty.

[...]

But there was no time to celebrate. The other zombie had recovered and was once again advancing, intent on ripping out my lungs and using them as bagpipes. And then, an idea (a first for me). Aiming at the bridge just in front of my assailant I fired. Shards of wood flew into the air just as the zombie stepped into the now gaping hole, flailing wildly as it sunk into the water, helpless as I finished it off.

I looked over at Doug, who was grinning, and realised I was panting like dog in a sauna. Even in that one, short minute, the combination of many of the elements Doug had shown me had came together in one sublime whole.

[...]

And what about the actual combat AI, what nuances can we expect there? "If an enemy sees you as a threat, but there's also another creature in the area that's also a threat, the AI will work out which is the greater threat to it and attack that target first."

To prove his last point, Doug fired up a recording he'd made of one of the levels. In it, Gordon attacked an Antlion Guard before running away and taking cover under some rocks. In a show of canny determination the Antlion probed the makeshift shelter from every side, trying, struggling, but ultimately failing to reach its quarry. From the distance came the rhythmic pulses of an engine. Seeing his opportunity, Gordon sped off towards the sound, pursued by a now incensed Antlion Guard. Within seconds, they were in sight of an armoured vehicle guarded by marines. The terrified soldiers opened fire on sight at the Antlion Guard, who waded in viciously, clawing rabidly at its new targets, and ripping them to shreds. Then it turned to the vehicle. Sniffing at it at first, it gave it a tentative shove, sending the APC rocking sideways onto two wheels. A blue flare arched from the vehicle into the sky, as the marines desperately called for reinforcement. Seconds later, the APC was sliding down a ravine, toppled by a ferocious attack by the Antlion Guard. While it was still occupied, Gordon unloaded a clip into the beast, and as it slumped to the ground, exhaling its last and sending a cloud of dust spiralling into the air, a drop ship full of reinforcements arrived.

Enter The G-Man
"That was all AI, came a voice from the far end of the room." It was Gabe, who had come back to sit through the final parts of the demonstration. "If you played that level yourself, it could have ended up completely differently. Nothing you just saw was scripted." I must have looked amazed, probably disbelieving, as Gabe took a seat next to me, and explained how HL2's AI system has been designed in order to give the player a sense of total freedom and immersion. "Because the AI can react in so many different ways, you'll never know what it's going to do. Is it going to smash through a door, open it, cut a hole in it? This makes them seem scarier and more consequential than your average AI. The way we see it is that if a creature is no more than a weapon's delivery system, then that creates a really narrow choice of interaction possibilities.

[...]

All of a sudden, September seems like a very, very long way away...
Martin Korda

-----
Hope you enjoyed it! :)

Ok so a few new stories, nothing new i read that article earlier today anyways.

Originally posted by lambda^2
Okay, this article was published on http://www.computerandvideogames.com today, though the author obviously wrote it before or during the E3. But it contains tons of information I haven't read (or seen) anywhere else so far, see for yourself. (And yes, Ive seen the Gamespot videos and interview, this here is totally new, at least to me)

Actually I'd only post a link to the article, but you have to fill a bunch of annoying registering forms there to read it, so I just copy-pasted the whole article... I hope this doesn't violate forum rules.

As i see there's a 10k character limit for every post, I'll have to cut some parts, you know where to find the full article. This here is something like 1/3rd of it.

----

HALF-LIFE 2

Martin Korda travels 6,000 miles to uncover the game the whole world's been waiting for

[...]

The Laws of Physics
"The first thing I'm going to show you is the tech engine, which we're calling Source. We've decided not to come up with a big engine name. First off, I'll show you the physics," began Doug as he panned around the tech-level on screen. Barrels, cans, bullet casings, bottles and dead bodies lay discarded on the ground, all boasting a level of detail I'd never seen in any game before. Although sparse, the environment was crisp and convincing, beautifully textured and shaded. With an object manipulation device (which won't feature in the game itself) he picked up a barrel and dropped it from a height. It slammed to earth, sending a hollow metallic crash resounding round the room, as it wobbled onto its side and began slowly rolling towards the edge of the screen with a satisfying grate.

[...]

Order and Chaos
Suddenly something unexpected happened. The rolling barrel, which we'd both assumed had stopped, had somehow gained enough momentum to drop into a pit on the other side of the level. "Wow, I've dropped that barrel a thousand times and it's never done that before." exclaimed Doug, a wide grin spreading across his face. Chaos Theory in a game engine? Now that's quality.

Over the next ten minutes, Doug let me play with a series of objects, each of which reacted exactly as they would in the real world. Bottles clunked and bullet cases rang as they hit the floor, each material and object making a different sound depending on what it came into contact with, and from what height it was dropped. But it was the rag-doll physics of the dead bodies that were most impressive, spinning and bucking when thrown against walls, sliding convincingly off a ledge when placed precariously on the edge of one. Taking a shotgun, I blew a wooden box to pieces, and watched as it splintered into a heap of jagged-edged planks. Then, walking over the wood-chippings, Gordon's movement became hampered by the irregular surface as he battled to maintain balance. "Both you and the NPCs will be weighted, and have physics properties simulated. Jay Steloy, our lead programmer since 1996, has been working on this technology for the better part of four years." Clearly it's been time well spent, and despite Doug's understated comments, Half-Life 2's physics system is without a doubt the most life-like I've ever seen.

[...]

"There's a guy called Dr Paul Ekman (www.paulekman.com) who did a bunch of research on the mentally ill, to find out what it means to look mentally ill. He came up with this whole language of facial expressions, incorporating the 40-odd facial expressions we all make, which can be mixed to create a sub-set of facial expressions. We basically took things from his research and made it applicable to Half-Life 2's facial animation system. So we have these simple sets of facial animation fonts, and they can be applied to Alyx, to an alien or whoever we want."

[...]

"After we got the faces and expressions right, we decided we had to go beyond the standard puppet, one-bone mouth look that we had in Half-Life, when characters spoke. Creating realistic lip-synching and acting was a really hard thing to do. We came up with a system that can go through and take the basic structures of a WAV file and extract the data for the mouth movement. So you can extract your sound or line of dialogue, inbed it into a WAV file independent of the game's language, and play it back across the facial animation system. This system identifies the sounds and volume which dictate the size of the opening and closing of the mouth. So you could drop in a line in English or Spanish and it will lip-synch it accordingly."

[...]

After this we moved to an area which Doug referred to as his Character Zoo, a series of rooms filled with enemies new and old. Reprising their role as cannon fodder are the Bullsquids and Head Crabs, although this time there's a whole family of the latter, ranging from the tiny to the unsettlingly large. Likewise, Zombies reappear, the symbiosis of the face-hugging Head Crabs and the hapless humans they infest, as do the ceiling hanging, string-on-a-mouth Barnacles, boasting incredibly detail with their multiple moving parts, which made them look little short of horrific. Apparently, there'll be more than 50 different enemies in all.

[...]

"As you can see we're doing full animation on these guys. One of the interesting things about them was getting the collision detection correct, so that it looks right when they're taking steps. These guys may need to climb stairs, or walk over uneven terrain, and all the while there's a whole load of work that's going on under the hood to make sure all this stuff comes to life, which we think will make the game really unique."

Finally, sensing my impatience to see the game in action, Doug quickly showed me a room full of extras, citizens of City 17 who will go about their lives around you. "These people won't have quite the level of facial animation that the main characters will have, as they won't be delivering any heavy duty lines. They'll all be unique, but many of them will be variations of each other." And on that note, he quit out of the level. It was time for me to get my hands dirty.

[...]

But there was no time to celebrate. The other zombie had recovered and was once again advancing, intent on ripping out my lungs and using them as bagpipes. And then, an idea (a first for me). Aiming at the bridge just in front of my assailant I fired. Shards of wood flew into the air just as the zombie stepped into the now gaping hole, flailing wildly as it sunk into the water, helpless as I finished it off.

I looked over at Doug, who was grinning, and realised I was panting like dog in a sauna. Even in that one, short minute, the combination of many of the elements Doug had shown me had came together in one sublime whole.

[...]

And what about the actual combat AI, what nuances can we expect there? "If an enemy sees you as a threat, but there's also another creature in the area that's also a threat, the AI will work out which is the greater threat to it and attack that target first."

To prove his last point, Doug fired up a recording he'd made of one of the levels. In it, Gordon attacked an Antlion Guard before running away and taking cover under some rocks. In a show of canny determination the Antlion probed the makeshift shelter from every side, trying, struggling, but ultimately failing to reach its quarry. From the distance came the rhythmic pulses of an engine. Seeing his opportunity, Gordon sped off towards the sound, pursued by a now incensed Antlion Guard. Within seconds, they were in sight of an armoured vehicle guarded by marines. The terrified soldiers opened fire on sight at the Antlion Guard, who waded in viciously, clawing rabidly at its new targets, and ripping them to shreds. Then it turned to the vehicle. Sniffing at it at first, it gave it a tentative shove, sending the APC rocking sideways onto two wheels. A blue flare arched from the vehicle into the sky, as the marines desperately called for reinforcement. Seconds later, the APC was sliding down a ravine, toppled by a ferocious attack by the Antlion Guard. While it was still occupied, Gordon unloaded a clip into the beast, and as it slumped to the ground, exhaling its last and sending a cloud of dust spiralling into the air, a drop ship full of reinforcements arrived.

Enter The G-Man
"That was all AI, came a voice from the far end of the room." It was Gabe, who had come back to sit through the final parts of the demonstration. "If you played that level yourself, it could have ended up completely differently. Nothing you just saw was scripted." I must have looked amazed, probably disbelieving, as Gabe took a seat next to me, and explained how HL2's AI system has been designed in order to give the player a sense of total freedom and immersion. "Because the AI can react in so many different ways, you'll never know what it's going to do. Is it going to smash through a door, open it, cut a hole in it? This makes them seem scarier and more consequential than your average AI. The way we see it is that if a creature is no more than a weapon's delivery system, then that creates a really narrow choice of interaction possibilities.

[...]

All of a sudden, September seems like a very, very long way away...
Martin Korda

-----
Hope you enjoyed it! :)

As much as I like HL2 i aint reading all that.. too much lol. Ill just take your word for it thats its new and its great.:afro:

Awesome! Looks like an interesting read, thanks! One thing caught my eye in particular though..

Taking a shotgun, I blew a wooden box to pieces, and watched as it splintered into a heap of jagged-edged planks. Then, walking over the wood-chippings, Gordon's movement became hampered by the irregular surface as he battled to maintain balance. "Both you and the NPCs will be weighted, and have physics properties simulated. Jay Steloy, our lead programmer since 1996, has been working on this technology for the better part of four years."

Now that sounds awesome, looks like the Collision detection is in after all?

AHHH ITS COMING SEPTEMBER!!! SO CLOSE BUT SEEMS SO FAR!!! Why couldn't they be like HL2 will be released june 30th, lol i know thats bad for advertising but that would kick ass. I cant freaking wait. Im also hoping to hear something about TF2 sometime this June.

too lazy to readem all. But those are the obvious stuff, and we kinda know about most of them.

I read this article in the magazine: the first glimpse of HL2 I ever got.

I'm still very exicted about the fact that Gabe claimed the antlion guard scene was all AI: none of it pre-planned. While I'm sure they'll be pre-planning a whole bunch of stuff, the fact that action sequences like this can just HAPPEN is incredibly cool. I hope they really have pulled it off.

I appreciate you posting this lambda, as I havent read this.
thanks again for an interesting read :)

With an object manipulation device (which won't feature in the game itself)

Well, does this mean we won't get to use the gravity gun in the real game? :eek:

well if we dont get the blue beam part of the gun in the full game im going to be hella pissed:flame:

Hrm. The loss of the gravity gun kinda sucks...I was hoping that I could send a combine into a soda machine, myself...ah well. I suppose it might've made the game a touch less balanced...that thing could've wreaked some sick havoc.

-Vert

Well from what I gather it will be in Multiplayer. That means the coding, sound, models and everything will already be there, so chances are it will be accessable using cheats or something. That is, assuming he meant "Game" as in the single player storyline type "Game".

The gun with the blue beam wont be in the game (the one that is in the engine demo), that one was just there so the viewing audience had something to follow their line of sight.

The gravity one which you see in game throwing shit at the strider is a differently shaped gun, and that will be in the game.

haha you said "havoc" which would be a pun for havok.... i crack myself up... neways this seems new to me too :D i love it... i really didnt feel like reading the whole article but now i might :cheers:

Originally posted by urseus
The gun with the blue beam wont be in the game (the one that is in the engine demo), that one was just there so the viewing audience had something to follow their line of sight.

The gravity one which you see in game throwing shit at the strider is a differently shaped gun, and that will be in the game.
Ahhhh good point. I reckon you're correct there, good sir. Good catch.

-Vert

Originally posted by urseus
Of course im rite, im a jeaneus.

Haha :)

Good work on the Gravity Gun, lets hope your right, Mr. Jeaneus. ;)

I think he is right too. I thought the two were the same for the longest time too and that it wouldn't be in game but the beam gun has a pipe or wire on the side of it.

-Straylight

When you think about it, they both work completely differently.

The laser tracking one pulls things in real-time, allowing the user to place matresses over boxes etc.

The proper Gravity Gun picks things up and holds them in mid-air using an invisible force, apparantly rendering them weightless. It can then be dropped or propelled forwards at an impressive speed.

The laser tracking one would have been more impressive for showing off the ragdoll physics, which is why it was probably used. You can't really do anything like that with the other one, since they would simply be held weightless in the air.

The bit about shooting a hole in the wood to make the zombie fall down into the water sounds very cool. Thats whats going to make HL2 great imo, the fact that you can use the surrounding enviroment to you advantage/as a weapon :cool:

i think it should be in the game, althought it'll be hard to use the gun in multiplyaer.

Originally posted by Alzxul
The bit about shooting a hole in the wood to make the zombie fall down into the water sounds very cool. Thats whats going to make HL2 great imo, the fact that you can use the surrounding enviroment to you advantage/as a weapon :cool:

Not the first game t' do that though ;)

/start shameless Trespasser plug.

In Trespasser, theres this really cool bit where a Raptor is hiding in the shadows of a rusty Jeep hanging off the edge of a cliff. Guess what happens when you pop off a few shots at the Jeep or throw something at it? ;)

/end shameless Trespasser plug. Oh yeah, go buy/play Trespasser. :)

But presumbly the jeep was specially put there to do that, if shot at lets say a wooden table in some building in the game would it shatter and splinter like it would do in HL2? I doubt it :cool:

Trespasser...meh. It's got good ideas and all, but, quite honestly, the game was ahead of its time. There wasn't enough technology to back up the game, and so it couldn't pull off what I believe HL2 will be able to. Anyway..decent game and all, but it won't hold a candle to HL2's dynamic gameplay. And that's my two cents. No really, those are my two cents! Give it back!...

-Vert

Naturally it can't compaire with HL2. But in terms on realism and physics, it is actually a very good contender with modern games.

Alzxul - Not necessarally. It was there because it crashed from a previous expedition. The Raptor was stealthily using the shadow of the Jeep to stalk me, the player, in order to sneak up and rip me to pieces. The first time I played that bit I just shot the Raptor straight out. Then I looked up at the Jeep, reloaded a save, shot it with a Deagle and it came crashing down on the Raptor. :)

Sorry about the Two Cents, I thought they were Chocolate Money.. :\

I definately, think the grav gun will be in the game. The pointer gun(it's a completely different looking gun), which is really more of a demonstration tool than a weapon, will undoubtedly be included on the cd, but not actually feature in the game itself. They obviously have it working almost perfectly already: no reason not to have it on the cd, especially because it's major use seems to be allowing map/mod makers to test out the physics in a less radical, battle-oriented manner.

Though I guess being able to swat enemies with a matress could be fun and useful. In fact, I can see how they might need to take it out because it's TOO useful: it might make solving certain puzzles way too easy.

Trespasser came out in 1998. Somehow I think HL2 will own it.

I read all this in Pczone, has someone already said that ?

Oh it is, you could go buy it for like £5 :p

It features pretty much real-life physics of boxes, rocks, barrels, anything really.

An excellent system where you have complete control over the characters hand. You hold down the left mouse, the arm stretches forward. You can grab things using the right mouse button.

Then you can throw them, use the object as a weapon (some are better than others..) or drop it. Bearing in mind the mass system is great, she can't pick up heavy things and struggles to carry a few things, and can't throw them very far.

The weapons are great too - they function the same way as everything else. You put your hand forward and grab one, then you can aim with it (theres no crosshair, this woman has never used a firearm in her life), and it's hard to get used to if your used to things like HL with a non-moving weapon and a static crosshair. You can also rotate her hand and arm to acheive various aiming positions.

It has some really cool features too - if (for example) a Raptor runs up towards you quickly, it can make you drop your weapon, and often it kills you pretty quick.

Oh yeah, when you die, if you get killed by a Dinosaur, if you hang around you can watch it eat you! You can hear the chomping noises etc.. And it pushes your dead body around (this is all from a FP viewpoint).

Oh, and the collision system is perfect - dead bodies of Dinosaurs and whatnot stay where they died, and you can't walk though them or anything, even the Raptors are big enough to hinder you when you try to walk over it, often requiring you to jump over it. Hehe, and you can push dead bodies down hills or into water and stuff ;)

Yeah so it's not a bad game, it's old though, so you can't expect much from the Graphics (800x600 max).

pretty cool.. thanks for posting.. i learned a few new things.. and love hearing more about the game.. and trespasser was okay.. but it didn't take into account fun gameplay in the realistic physics it had.. it's not a good idea to be able to knock guns out of your hands by accident in a game as realistic as it may be.. it doesn't actually make the game easy/fun to play.. it's better to have a good balance between gameplay and realism.

Back