Logical Fallacy and You (AKA how to tell when you aren't making sense)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
After reading many, many threads about such fun topics as how evolution is false and how 9/11 was caused by government bombs, I've come to think that there are some pretty big misconceptions about what constitutes rational thought in this forum.

So, without further ado, here is the direct cause of that problem:

Logical Fallacy

What is logical fallacy?

"The term logical fallacy properly refers to a formal fallacy: a flaw in the structure of a deductive argument which renders the argument invalid.

However, it is often used more generally in informal discourse to mean an argument which is invalid for any reason, and thus encompasses informal fallacies – those which are invalid for reasons other than structural flaws, such as an error in the premises – as well as formal fallacies."

In other words, if you make an argument and it is based on a logical fallacy, you have failed to make a valid argument.
Invalid arguments, by definition, do not make logical sense, and can be dismissed until they are corrected.
Any argument (and any question) based on a logical fallacy is invalid until repaired.

There are many types of logical fallacy.
These are a few of the biggest I have seen used lately to promote invalid arguments, grouped more-or-less arbitrarily:

List of Logical Fallacies

1: Anecdotal Evidence:
Informal personal accounts taken as conclusive are not valid when they are unverified by other, valid information.

2: Complex Question:
A question is invalid if the question presupposes the validity of unproven claims.

3: Animistic Fallacy:
It is not valid to argue that an event or situation is evidence that someone consciously acted to cause it.

4: Reversing the Burden of Proof:
In science, "burden of proof" means that someone suggesting a new theory or stating a claim must provide evidence to support it: it is not sufficient to say "you can't disprove this"
If the person reverses the burden of proof by only saying "you can't disprove this," their argument is invalid.

5: Quote mining:
Quote mining refers to the process of presenting only information that supports one's argument while selectively omitting other important information (such as context) from the same source.

6: Argument From Ignorance:
Claiming that lack of evidence for one scenario is instead evidence for another scenario (without additional evidence for the other scenario) invalidates the claim.

7a: Enthymeme:
An argument is invalid when a key element of the argument is an unstated assumption.

7b: Existential fallacy:
When a claim is made based on a stated premise, but the claim do not establish this the premise as factual, the claim is not valid.

7c: Infinite Regress:
Infinite regress occurs when one premise is simultaneously dependant on another when neither is proven.

8: Straw Man:
A straw-man argument is the practice of refuting a weaker argument than an opponent actually offers. Doing so invalidates the refutation.

9: False Analogy:
Using an analogy in which the compared objects or events are fundamentally and relevantly different in some way, without addressing the differences, invalidates the analogy.

10a: Naturalistic Fallacy:
Any claim that draws an ethical conclusion from whether something is "natural" or unnatural" is invalid.

10b: Wisdom of Repugnance:
It is not valid to object to an argument purely out of a sense of disgust concerning the conclusion.

10c: Wishful thinking:
It is not valid to base a decision on an imagined pleasant outcome, and not one based in evidence or rationality.

11: Negative Proof:
It is not logical to argue that something exists simply because there is no proof to the contrary.

12: Perfect Solution Fallacy:
Rejecting a solution because it doesn't solve every part of a problem is not a valid position.

13a: Cum hoc:
It is not valid to claim two events that occur together are cause and effect, when no proof of cause or effect is given.

13b: Post Hoc:
It is not valid to assume that two events are connected simply because one preceeds the other.

14: Reification:
Treating abstract concepts as though they are quantifiable is not valid.

15: Slippery Slope:
Claiming that one event will eventually spark a chain of events is not valid unless each causality in the chain can be proven.

16: Trivial Objection:
It is not valid to distract from the bulk of an argument by focusing on small, irrelevant elements.

17: Wrong Direction:
It is not valid to reverse cause and effect or to claim cause and effect in situations where causality is unclear.

Disclaimer

Most, if not all, logical fallacies can be prevented by simply presenting clear evidence or a rational argument instead.
That being said, one should be careful when applying the term "fallacy" to an argument before looking into it.
An argument showing all the signs of a logical fallacy may simply be common knowledge or too simple to bother sourcing.
Any valid statement, however, can be supported if questioned.
Just try not to be pedantic, lest your argument classify as a #16.

If you aren't normally the questioning type, try applying these ideas to things you read on the internet, or in other areas of your daily life.
The results may surprise you!

More (less common) logical fallacies can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Logical_fallacies

STICKY THIS PLEASE!

I took a "philosophy of logic" class in first year university so I understand what all this means. However I can bet most people won't be able to make sense out of many of these without seeing an example of an argument displaying the specific fallacy in use.

I would do it myself but I have an exam tommorow and I shouldn't even be on here reading this in the first place. :(

EDIT: nevermind, I didn't realize the fallacies listed were linked to Wikipedia where examples are given.

I was going to add little demonstrative examples, but I figured I wouldn't be able to avoid throwing in a few kicks at the 9/11 Demolition Theory Crew & Friends.

(Not that they don't deserve it. I just didn't want them claiming that logic was a tool of the government or something. :p)

Also, ya, all the titles link to relevant wikipedia articles (which are not likely to end up as broken links anytime soon).
The articles go into waaay more depth than my constrictive one-sentence summaries do.
They also, in turn, link to many more valuable resources like the one Bliink posted there.

(Thnx 4 sticky btw lol)

I draw from here often in debate. It's just indexed factoids so it's up to the user to put them to use for their cause. At some sections it does put arguements forth (tend to be conservative) but that's rarely, as the source and nature of the site doesn't really even allow for it in its format.

http://www.justfacts.com

Mission Statement
The goal of Just Facts is to publish accurate and accessible information on issues that impact individuals and governments. This is accomplished by minimizing subjective material and offering highly factual content. Objective criteria (shown below) are used to determine what constitutes a fact and what does not.

Who We Are
All of the writing and research is done by James Ruoco, who has a degree in mechanical engineering and works in that field. Several others are a part of the Just Facts team, and help by editing, proofreading, and posting the content. The site is independent and does not receive donations or endowments.

The list of those who have linked to Just Facts includes government entities at the local, state and national levels, universities, non-profit organizations, radio shows, and newspapers.

It is unquestionable that every journalist has personal political views, and unlike others, we think it is incumbent upon the press to be forthright with their audience and disclose their political perspectives: The staff of Just Facts is economically and socially conservative.

Standards Of Credibility
* Facts: Every effort is made to keep the facts as plain as possible. The use of adverbs and subjective adjectives is limited.
* Excluded Facts: The only facts disqualified are those that are rendered pointless by other facts and those that don't do not meet the “Standards of Credibility” listed here.

* Accuracy: Almost every fact is footnoted, and thus, each stands or falls on its own merits. The newer sections are more scrupulously documented, and readers can click on each footnote to view the relevant data. Before citing a source, investigative and feasibility studies are often performed to confirm and eliminate information. Some of the content on Just Facts acutely illustrates how well-known and prestigious media entities sometimes provide erroneous and/or misleading information. Obviously, no one is above making a mistake, and in the world of politics, deception is rampant. By publishing detailed source information, readers have a tool at their disposal to help them in forming independent judgments.

* Minor Discrepancies: These are resolved by using the figures and facts that are contrary to our viewpoints. For example, conservative opinion is that taxes are too high. If two credible sources list slightly different tax rates; say for example 21% and 23%, we use the 21% figure.

* Conclusions and Quotes: Every effort is made to keep quotes within context. Conclusions and quotes made by people with vested interests are excluded except to point out inconsistencies and hypocrisy.

* Incomplete Data: Facts are excluded if critical and accessible information is unaccounted for. Example: A study determines that under a certain proposal, “taxes for the average family will increase by $700 over the next four years.” This would be excluded if the study did not account for inflation, which may add $300 to the average tax bill regardless of whether or not the proposal is adopted.

* Balance: The goal here is accuracy, not balance. Press outlets often provide quotes from people on opposing sides of an issue. This, in our opinion, is a charade. First of all, there is nothing to prevent a news source from quoting the most compelling argument from one side and the weakest of the other. Secondly, such soundbites are often loaded with rhetoric and misinformation. Our purpose is to publish objective facts regardless of the views they support, not to amplify half-truths and propaganda.

Our Challenge
While today's news media can be entertaining, ask yourself, "Does it give me the information I need to make good decisions in my life and at the ballot box?"
Make the effort to gather the facts and ponder their implications. Your vote and your views count. Don't be the person who is unhappy with the way things are and fails to do anything about it. Don't be the person who forms their views in an instant and then sticks with them through a lifetime regardless of the facts. Refuse to be manipulated. Form your own opinions based upon serious thought and broad knowledge.

If everyone followed those rules this forum would be dead. I didn't just create a fallacy did I? :rolling:

I thought these were common knowledge by now. I guess not!

Thanks for the great post MechaGodzilla.

Excellent work Mecha. Hopefully, if people abide by these we wont have any more 20 page quote dissection mud slinging contests about nothing in particular.

I love how this forum can help in your arguing skills.

Rubbish! How dare you - this is the Internet, and that's quite banned here.

Ridiculous.

What, are you trying to say arguments in politics should be sensible?

This fallacy list was compiled by the government in an attempt to discredit us conspiracy theorists! D:

kirovman said:
This fallacy list was compiled by us conspiracy theorists in an attempt to discredit the government! D:

Quote mining FTW!

This thread is not going to change a thing because the people dumb enough to make these arguments are not going to bother reading this, and if they do they won't comprehend it.

Yeah, i hate to admit it but this is a very good post. You need to know how to argue decently before you engage in an argument, or else you get nowhere.

Thats a really sound post and I agree with the Anecdotal evidence especially

wow there goes half the politics forum out the window!! lol

oh yeah...you can't disprove that, BTW...

j/k :)

Why would people use these fallacious maneuvers when the results can be so harmful? Generally, only two reasons exist:

1. The person has made a honest error in logic
2. The person has deliberately sidestepped logic in order to satisfy his or her own ego

The first reason can generally be handled with little fanfare. Simply point out the error in thinking, and guide the person to the correct line of thinking while allowing the person to save face. This sort of disagreement can sometimes be refreshing, allowing new insights and mental connections not previously made.

When fallacies are used for the second reason, I like to call these fallacies slick maneuvers. Why? Because they are frequently used to garner support for statements or actions that inflate the person's ego at the long-term expense of others.

Dealing with people who use slick maneuvers can be emotionally trying because they often exhibit characteristics of neurotics who do not have the first clue about what sound reasoning is. One of the common traits of neurotics is the unrealistic desire to control and manipulate others, and slick maneuvers provide a verbal arsenal for achieving that end. Regardless of your situation, you will find some people around you attempting to apply these slick maneuvers to get their way regardless of the harm they cause others.

These Slick Maneuver Identification Tables will help you to identify readily the slick verbal maneuvers used by different people in just about any situation. No matter how good their arguments sound, if you detect one or more of these fallacies, the whole argument can come into question. Once the argument comes into question, it becomes imperative for you to trace thoroughly the opponent's line of reasoning that leads to the asserted conclusion. If your opponent can fill apparent gaps in logic with hard evidence and sound reasoning, then you have earned the right to feel confident about the conclusion. Otherwise, you have the right to challenge the conclusion vociferously by exposing and attacking the fallacy.

I liked this so thought I would post it.

http://members.***********/AttitudeAdjustment/Books/Logic.htm

( For some reason the link will not allow me to paste it here, maybe it defies logic. Simply google " Introductory logic" to find it)

Btw, wheres "poisoning the well"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back