Looking at building a new computer...what should I get?

Dr.IndianaJones

Diamond Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Since I will be graduating from college in a few months, I'm thinking its about time to build a new system for myself. I'm looking about everything new except for the video card and monitors. (just got those last year)

I want to keep the budget within the range of $500 to $1000 (I would like to stay close to the middle of those numbers)

So its looking like I need a new -

• Case (want to make sure it stays nice and cool inside)
  • Processor
  • Processor Fan
  • Motherboard
  • Power Supply
  • Sound Card
  • RAM
  • DVD/Blu-Ray drive
  • HDD (something over 500 gigs)
  • OS
and whatever else would be good for gaming/graphic design use.

Please let me known what you guys think.

Thanks!

-Coolermaster HAF
-Intel I7 2600
-Stock heatsink with arctic silver 5 paste instead of whatever it comes with should be fine unless you overclock, which is always -pointless
-Asus P8Z68-V LE
-Corsair CMPSU-650TX
-SoundBlaster Audigy SE
-Any will do.
-Any will do. I'd go with Western Digital or Seagate.
-Win 7 Home Premium.

You might also want some ram. Can't do much without ram. Gskill is a decent brand with a decent price. Also a video card. Maybe a Nvidia GTX260?

Not sure if you're going to be able to fit all that in a $1000 budget, especially with a bluray drive and an OS.

So I'm actually going to be building my computer soon. Here is the list I came up with. I would like everyone's thoughts on it. -

The case is the biggest thing that I'm having problems with. I dont know which one is better to get. I like them both -

Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

OR

Antec Lanboy air Yellow Black / Yellow Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Modular Case

Please help!

You might look into Lian Li for mid-tower. They're a bit more pricy but I've never found anything more reliable.

+1 on the Lian Li suggestion, I detest Antec tower mesh, the 900 has lingered around like syphilis for the last decade it feels like.

I would also add, in a parrot-like fashion, I only will ever recommend and buy a Corsair PSU for their reliability and quality. Modular is a joy to work with too.

Potential option to go for an 830 Samsung SSD, I think they are competitively priced now. I don't know much about the HSF, if you've read good reviews then fair enough, but there are 2 or 3 major HSF models out there which are more popular and recommended (Arctic Cooling, Gelid, Be Quiet). Everything else looks nice to me.

For about $5 more there is a newer version of the Hyper 212, and I would seriously consider a Corsair or Cooler Master case. The 900 is showing its age, and the Lanboy Air feels a tad flimsy, then again, I might be biased. My case is a brick.

I'd recommend the Storm Sniper from Cooler Master, it's what my rig is in, and it has been a phenomenal case.

From Corsair, I'd say that the 600T or the C70 both look like a dream to build with.

For $70 that's pretty nice (don't forget to enter that promo code at checkout).

Looks pretty nice to me, and obviously the OP since he picked it.

The colors and window placement and general shape just seem imposing though. This case really insists on itself.

Why shouldn't it? :eek:

More importantly, the fan positions are well placed.

ed: oh wow, the deal wore off pretty damn fast, the code is gone and the rebate is only $10 now. $70 to $130 just like that. Unfortunately even the DF-85 is out of stock there and on Amazon.

I guess I prefer something more minimalist with color consistency. I think this thing is ugly and the black/white color scheme is applied horribly.

That's the case I have and would highly recommend. For $70 it's a steal.

They're good. The H60 is a bit overkill if you aren't going to overclock.

I wouldn't buy that kit, that's waaay too much cash for those parts and not even including a video card at that (I know you don't need one but at that price you'd think they'd have one).

I think this is worse then buying a car... I'm so lost.. :confused:

I have a Mac Book Pro for school, I do not want another Mac...

Well time for me to get started -

new_setup.jpg

I have that motherboard. The ASUS Z77 Sabertooth is hands down the best motherboard I ever saw or used. Bios is incredibly simple and intuitive, and the thermal armor and sensors actually work and arent just a gimmick. My motherboard and surrounding areas stay at 24-28c and almost 2 months and there's not a spec of dust on it. The mini fans you connect to the board are awesome as well as they continue to spin after you shut the computer down, you cant even hear them and they continue to move hot air out after you're already shut down. Honestly you made the best choice for motherboard and I just had to re-assure you of your purchase.

Don't do it on the ground, it will **** up your back.
Perhaps that's why everything is on a table?

Yep, pretty much!

I have that motherboard. The ASUS Z77 Sabertooth is hands down the best motherboard I ever saw or used. Bios is incredibly simple and intuitive, and the thermal armor and sensors actually work and arent just a gimmick. My motherboard and surrounding areas stay at 24-28c and almost 2 months and there's not a spec of dust on it. The mini fans you connect to the board are awesome as well as they continue to spin after you shut the computer down, you cant even hear them and they continue to move hot air out after you're already shut down. Honestly you made the best choice for motherboard and I just had to re-assure you of your purchase.

Thank you. I don't know how much research I did, but I always kept going back to that motherboard, lol.

Perhaps that's why everything is on a table?
Well you never know. Everything's boxed so maybe he was placing it there, going take it out and work on it elsewhere. Doesn't matter now.

Back