Looking for a Critique

Matorbogl

Reaction score
Howdy denizens of Hardware & Software I come to you looking for a critique of some components that will be part of a future desktop upgrade. Right now I am pretty confident in my choices as I feel they more than adequately satisfy my three requirements, low price, power and scalability. I plan on using my desktop mostly as a platform to play games on, and while I would love to be able to max out settings, I would not be cross if I couldn't, medium suits me just fine.

Processor
Intel Core i5-2400

Motherboard
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)

Memory
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333

Note: I plan on salvaging my video card, power supply, hard drive (SATA, 3GBs) and DVD drive (IDE).

edit: I realize now that MSI motherboard has no IDE connectors, so I'll have to purchase a new CD/DVD SATA drive, no worries though.

For a three more dollars I would suggest the Ripjaws series Ram
You could probably get a cheaper motherboard with only 1 PCIx16 slot if you're not planning on going the crossfire/sli route later on down the road(which it seems like you're not)

Looks fine other than that.
You'll probably find yourself wanting a new video card soon after you upgrade everything else, just as a heads up.

Thanks, that's a good point on the 2nd PCIx16 slot, I never intend on using SLI so it's wasted space. The following, also an MSI motherboard, seems like a solid replacement for the original one I posted and significantly cheaper to boot.

MSI P67A-C43 (B3)

For some reason though, they put an asterisk next to the DDR3 1600, I'm not quite sure what exactly that is supposed to mean but since it's listed I guess it's supported.

That's an overclocking speed. You should be fine with that Ram anyways. You could underclock it to the supported speeds if you needed, or just get a lower clocked set of Ram.

Doesn't seem like a good match to me. The motherboard has those vibrant blue highlights but that RAM is a much more muted blue with a hint of purple. Doesn't mix well.

PSU seems like a great match though.

Don't get me started on the video card.

That's an overclocking speed. You should be fine with that Ram anyways. You could underclock it to the supported speeds if you needed, or just get a lower clocked set of Ram.

Ah I see, alright thanks for the help I feel pretty good about these parts. I will probably go about ordering them when I get home from work later today.

Doesn't seem like a good match to me. The motherboard has those vibrant blue highlights but that RAM is a much more muted blue with a hint of purple. Doesn't mix well.

PSU seems like a great match though.

Don't get me started on the video card.

Well my reasons for the use of those colors was to create a powerful, anti-racist message by demonstrating that people are like computer parts and we can all work together despite our coloring.

Who picks computer parts based on how they fit with other coloured parts?

You won't be able to upgrade an Intel mobo much, just make sure you don't intend to do much improvement on that machine before you go with an i5.

EDIT: MSI has some pretty miserable QC. I know some people who have never had a complaint and others (like me) who have had a DOA from them. Gigabyte and Asus are more expensive, but they have sterling reputations for quality.

So I got my parts Monday, no more than 5 minutes after getting home from work which was spiffy. Anyway I put it together and all I can say is that I am one very happy camper. Being able to run Company of Heroes on max settings in a 4v4 with the framerate never becoming unbearable is certainly an awesome thing. I'm also now able to run TF2 in DX9 on max settings, which I haven't been able to do in a long time, so long in fact I forgot just how pretty a game it was.

All in all, a very worthwhile investment I got everything I wanted out of it, so again thanks for the advice and suggestions

Back