Looping sound crash...

Apocalypse89

Reaction score
After this dreaded bug that's been infecting Episode One for over year made its appearance in the TF2 beta, I only fear that it will affect all Orange Box games once they come out. I will be utterly pissed off if these games that I've been awaiting for over a year turn out to be unplayable because of an ancient bug that Valve's too lazy to fix.

It's appalling how they've dealt with this problem...instead of trying to solve it in any way, they just sweep it under a rug and forget about it. I know some of you will be inclined to say that it's my computer's fault, but may I direct you to this year-old, 1100+ post thread where people running all kinds of software and hardware get this game-killing crash without any conceivable pattern or cause:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500297

I'll admit that my PC isn't the best in the world, but when I turn down the settings so much that the game runs as smooth as Half-Life 1, and it still crashes...something's definitely wrong.

It'll be a goddamn shame if this sequel, which by all means looks like it has wonderful gameplay and story, turns out to be unplayable because of a year-old unaddressed bug.

They've been trying to fix it for ages. Considering they're not exactly sure what's causing this in such a large variety of system configurations, and bug releases have fixed it for some people, you can hardly consider them lazy.

After this dreaded bug that's been infecting Episode One for over year made its appearance in the TF2 beta, I only fear that it will affect all Orange Box games once they come out. I will be utterly pissed off if these games that I've been awaiting for over a year turn out to be unplayable because of an ancient bug that Valve's too lazy to fix.

It's appalling how they've dealt with this problem...instead of trying to solve it in any way, they just sweep it under a rug and forget about it. I know some of you will be inclined to say that it's my computer's fault, but may I direct you to this year-old, 1100+ post thread where people running all kinds of software and hardware get this game-killing crash without any conceivable pattern or cause:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500297

I'll admit that my PC isn't the best in the world, but when I turn down the settings so much that the game runs as smooth as Half-Life 1, and it still crashes...something's definitely wrong.

It'll be a goddamn shame if this sequel, which by all means looks like it has wonderful gameplay and story, turns out to be unplayable because of a year-old unaddressed bug.

YOU'RE AN UNADDRESSED BUG! ><

They've been trying to fix it for ages. Considering they're not exactly sure what's causing this in such a large variety of system configurations, and bug releases have fixed it for some people, you can hardly consider them lazy.

If they've been semi-successfully trying like you say, then I guess I can forgive them. But do you have any links or other proof where Valve claim any of this?

I had an e-mail of Gabe Newell saying it has been fixed for Episode Two.

If they've been semi-successfully trying like you say, then I guess I can forgive them. But do you have any links or other proof where Valve claim any of this?

The wiki has all the links you'll need.

Actually, reading that again, it doesn't really offer any info on the fixing of the looping sound crash. However, it does show that the crash is related to the stutter, which Valve have been trying to fix.

If they've really fixed it for Episode Two, hopefully they'll release an update that fixes it for all Source games. Make Episode One and TF2 playable in DX9!

EDIT: BTW, for those asking for proof, check the "Info from Valve" thread over at the HL2 section...

I had an e-mail of Gabe Newell saying it has been fixed for Episode Two.

surely if it had been fixed in Episode 2 then it should not happen in TF2 since they are on the same engine. Perhaps they think they have fixed it but evidently they have not.
I just hope that it doesn't effect them i was looking so forward to it but if i have to play it in dx8 with no sound like Episode 1 then i am going to be pissed off.

EDIT: i just read your message and you asked him about the stuttering bug not the looping sound crash they are not related.

Any mention of "stutter" with "crash" is referring to the looping sound crash. And they are directly related.

Anyways, you have a point, but it seems like Valve is withholding some of the important engine updates(such as multi-core support) until the Orange Box's full release. Maybe this fix is one of them?

then again tf2 is in a beta stage. perhaps the actual one uses a fixed version of the source engine?

I have no idea what you lot are on about, I have never had a 'looping sound crash' not in Hl2, Episode 1 or Tf2 Beta...

Then it really isn't all that necessary for you to be in this thread, is it? The looping sound bug is what you would usually refer to as a freeze in most other games, the key difference being that about half a second of sound bite loops over repeatedly until the freeze stops (if it ever does). There is a lot of variation as to who gets this bug in terms of their setup and hardware, and it varies significantly in intensity and frequency.

I won't hold my breath in terms of Valve fixing this bug, no matter what Gabe claims. I have about the same amount of faith that it will be fixed in Ep2 as I do of Valve releasing Ep3 by their next target.

playing ep 1 with the stutter bug was so frustrating, especially in high action sequences, screw up your aiming and everything from the half second freezing.........

Then it really isn't all that necessary for you to be in this thread, is it? The looping sound bug is what you would usually refer to as a freeze in most other games, the key difference being that about half a second of sound bite loops over repeatedly until the freeze stops (if it ever does). There is a lot of variation as to who gets this bug in terms of their setup and hardware, and it varies significantly in intensity and frequency.

I won't hold my breath in terms of Valve fixing this bug, no matter what Gabe claims. I have about the same amount of faith that it will be fixed in Ep2 as I do of Valve releasing Ep3 by their next target.

Eh, he's got a right to visit and post in this thread as anybody else.

I've never seen this bug in action, but I remember hearing something about Valve trying to fix the previous "Stutter" bug before, when people said they never would try. Maybe they are, actually, still working in a fix for this? That ever cross anybodies mind.

Then again, it could be true that they are too busy with other projects. I don't know, has anybody tried emailing Gabe recently about this to see what he has to say?

Eh, he's got a right to visit and post in this thread as anybody else.

I've never seen this bug in action, but I remember hearing something about Valve trying to fix the previous "Stutter" bug before, when people said they never would try. Maybe they are, actually, still working in a fix for this? That ever cross anybodies mind.

Then again, it could be true that they are too busy with other projects. I don't know, has anybody tried emailing Gabe recently about this to see what he has to say?

You didn't read the thread? I already addressed this and other points. In fact, somebody already has emailed Gabe about it, and we've seen the response. :)

I had the same problem, I took out all my DDR ram and discarded them. Store next day and bought a fresh batch, could not be any better :D

I'm getting that as well in TF2. A lot of people are. Don't worry about it. It's just HL2 all over again. But this time at least Valve have have had the decency to call this the TF2 beta & not just release the full version, like they did with HL2, full of bugs ready to be deciphered by an un-suspecting public beta team!

I hope it doesn't happen with EP2 but I'd say there's at least a chance that it will. That's Valve for you. They're pretty useless when it comes to beta testing I guess. I mean how could they let the HL2 st-st-stutter bug slip them by? It effected so many people surely it would have showed up somewhere on their test rigs?! I think that problem was all about deadlines & because of how Steam works they just released it anyway & worried about patches afterwards (updates were coming via Steam almost on a daily basis at one point shortly after the HL2 release!). The same thing is happening with TF2 & the same thing will almost certainly happen with EP2.

lol. I have always simply waited out the looping problem. goes away after 5 mins..

lol. I have always simply waited out the looping problem. goes away after 5 mins..

Your lucky i waited 6 hours and it never went away. Nearly every time i get it it brings my entire system down i can't even launch task manager.

Your lucky i waited 6 hours and it never went away. Nearly every time i get it it brings my entire system down i can't even launch task manager.

Likewise. Now to keep my stats in TF2, I got to quit the game and rejoin.

Hmmm now this is interesting. I remember the stuh stuh uh uhtter ter bug and free ree ree ree reezes only too well and the way it was played down on hl2 forums, this one included, despite all the fuss that was kicked up about it. Nay, especially because of the fuss that was kicked up about it. It was infuriating how Valve refused to acknowledge that it even existed. Whether they have since I don't know and don't really care as a new graphics card solved the problem for me over a year after release - but by then I couldn't be arsed to play it through clean, the experience was stale.

I truly hope that bug isn't still lurking somewhere in the code of this next batch of games, I for one will certainly think twice before buying OB now - thanx for the heads-up.

To the op. What are your system specs? Do you happen to have an ASUS motherboard? If so, be sure to update your bios, it can fix the issue in a lot of cases.

Good luck.

Back