Planetary

Reaction score
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?filter=updates&appids=440

Well, well, well.

New client features

* Added Viewmodel FOV slider to advanced multiplayer options
* Added a hide viewmodel option to advanced multiplayer options
* Added custom crosshair support

o Added crosshair image, scale, and color settings to the Options->Multiplayer settings tab
o Moved HUD minimal mode & Disable Spray options into the Advanced Multiplayer settings
* Added "open_charinfo_direct" command that opens the loadout directly to the class you're currently playing
o Replaced the "Open Loadout" entry in the options->keys dialog with this new command. Rebind / reset your config to defaults to use it

New server features

* Added "tf_damage_disablespread" convar to disable the 25% damage spread on all damage
* Added class limit support to tournament mode
o Set the "tf_tournament_classlimit_X" convars to the max number of class X allowed
* Added "tf_tournament_hide_domination_icons" convar, that allows a tournament mode server to force clients not to display domination icons over their nemeses

Gameplay changes

* Modified critical hit calculation. Overall, critical hit chance is now much more recent-performance based:
o Base chance is now 2% (was 5%).
o Bonus range based on damage done changed from 0%-15% to 0%-10
o Damage range required for bonus changed from 0-1600 to 0-800
* Reduced random damage spread applied to all player damage from +-25% to +-10%
* Slight reduction (improvement) of the minigun's spread
* Increased flare direct hit damage from 20 to 30
* Rewrote Natascha's slowdown code to be more consistent
* Sniper rifle now supports Crit Boost state like all other weapons (i.e. Kritzkrieg makes all shots critical hits)

* Stealthed spies are no longer able to pickup the intelligence. They must uncloak first
* Increased soldier primary ammo count from 16 to 20

Bugfixes

* Fixed crash when running in tools mode
* Added UTIL_IsCommandIssuedByServerAdmin() checks to several "physics_" CON_COMMAND scripts to prevent clients issuing the commands
* Fixed bug in teleporter logic that allowed engineers to build teleporters with HUGE health values
* Fixed matching teleporter not getting a health buff when the pair is upgraded (only the tele you were hitting got the health buff)
* Fixed Medic UberCharge percentage in minimal-HUD mode

Shame they didn't do the unlockable menu stuff. Still a bit of a wait to the scout update.

Every one of the gameplay changes sounds fantastic to me, although I don't understand the two about 'bonus range' and 'damage range'. Anyone care to explain in ignoramus-friendly words?

I know damage range has to do with the randomness of a shot, example 125 health classes getting one-shotted by a grenade or not, with the smaller range it will never happened again, if it's a 10% more or less rather then the 25% before.
Bonus range has to do with crits, not sure what exactly.

Yeah I more or less understood the 'damage spread' change from 25% to 10%, but I don't quite get:
  • Bonus range based on damage done changed from 0%-15% to 0%-10
  • Damage range required for bonus changed from 0-1600 to 0-800

Edit: OK I think I get it. So after inflicting a certain amount of damage, you get a bonus chance of inflicting a higher percentage of damage when you hit, and that's now been reduced from 15% to 10%...? With the threshold being reduced to 800... Is that it?? What was most confusing was that I didn't know that mechanism existed in the first place.
I know damage range has to do with the randomness of a shot, example 125 health classes getting one-shotted by a grenade or not, with the smaller range it will never happened again, if it's a 10% more or less rather then the 25% before.
Are you sure of that? Because it depends on the base damage from the grenade (and I have no idea what that is). If the base damage is like 114 or so (ie. if 125 is less than 110% of the base) then grenade one-shots will still happen, though at a decreased frequency. Any lower and you're right, of course.

Yeah I more or less understood the 'damage spread' change from 25% to 10%, but I don't quite get:
  • Bonus range based on damage done changed from 0%-15% to 0%-10
  • Damage range required for bonus changed from 0-1600 to 0-800

Edit: OK I think I get it. So after inflicting a certain amount of damage, you get a bonus chance of inflicting a higher percentage of damage when you hit, and that's now been reduced from 15% to 10%...? With the threshold being reduced to 800... Is that it?? What was most confusing was that I didn't know that mechanism existed in the first place.

It's talking about the Crit system.

Now, you can get up to a 10% increase in crit chances instead of a 15% increase, but you get it more easily (0-800 means you have more of a chance - up to 10% - that you would have under the 0-1600 rule). The more damage you've done, whether it's the max 800 damage for a 10% increase or 400 damage for a 5% increase, the higher your crit chances. Before, to get the max 15% increase you would have to get 1600 damage and 800 damage for 7.5% increase.

This is of course assuming it acts linearly, it may very well not, but the example, in basics, still stands.

I know that was awkward wording, say if you don't get it still and I'll try to explain better.

Tf2wiki says they did 64-128 damage pre-update.
So the average is 98 damage. So maximum is around 110, give or take.
Oneshotting is done for, as long as you stay healthy.
Same goes for stickies against Medics, I'm assuming,

Crits being reworked to be less random. Awesome.

Reduced damage spread. Awesome, I think this will see the end of the random one-hit-kill non-crit shots that some classes *cough* Demoman *cough* could pull off.

New Natascha slow down code should be good, the tighter cone of both Miniguns should be good too.

Flaregun buff might make me think about using it more often.

Soldier ammo buff is very welcome to someone such as myself who plays Soldier the most. I always supported the original nerfing but felt that 16 was a bit harsh.

This is an awesome update by the sounds of it. Download right now. :D

Soldier now has 24 rockets instead of 20

-****inghappyface-

From what i've been reading, it seems the custom crosshair results in the sniper rifle not showing its scope. Fix should be issued soon, i guess.

Without a doubt the greatest thing to ever happen to TF2.

r_drawviewmodel 0
and customisable crosshairs

Should have been there from the start, but better late than never :)

Back