M4 - Work In Progress

ChrisArt

Reaction score
Here is a M4 im making, its still very WIP. Since I cant skin very well ATM I hope someone will catch an interest, with the right skills im looking for someone to skin this puppy when its finished. Please send me a PM if youre interested.

Here are some progress pictures I should be done with it sometime tonight.

WIP1.jpg

WIP1_render.jpg

All comments accepted
As I got a guy with the real deal telling me mistakes im pretty sure most of it is right so far.

where is the foregrip ?
thats a nice start on the model but for lowpoly we dont usualy model the barrel in detail because it is hardly ever seen.

mindless_moder said:
where is the foregrip ?
thats a nice start on the model but for lowpoly we dont usualy model the barrel in detail because it is hardly ever seen.

You mean the handguard? It looks like he hasnt modeled it yet. Hence the "Work In Progress" in the title.

mindless_moder said:
for lowpoly we dont usualy model the barrel in detail because it is hardly ever seen.

Yup thats correct, this is gonna be more the show off model. When its time to put it in game im gonna redo the whole barrel and cut of some detail on the body that can be replaced by textures. So far its 1700 so its a little high.

Very nice ChrisArt, only thing I can notice is that the case deflector looks a little small.

dude mr floppy it is not a "hand guard" the only thing that the foregrip would protect from is burns from the barrel, it is a fore grip the foregrip is called that because it was layed smoothly against the forearm to steady your aim and also to protect from burning..... and many other reason but im not going to go there....

-[Oblivian]-Sora said:
dude mr floppy it is not a "hand guard" the only thing that the foregrip would protect from is burns from the barrel, it is a fore grip the foregrip is called that because it was layed smoothly against the forearm to steady your aim and also to protect from burning..... and many other reason but im not going to go there....

It is a handguard or a forend or forearm but not a foregrip, hanguard being the most common term., from what I can tell "foregrip" is some term that airsofters came up with. Now there is such thing as a vertical foregrip... such as this: http://www.tangodownllc.com/product/vertical.shtml

Next on list

Carrying Handle
Different modification parts

WIP2.jpg

WIP6_render.jpg

mistrfloppy just for the record i knew it was wip just founfd it weird cos he started modeling the barrel intead of the foregrip

the term foregrip is more widely used amongst us noobs whats imp is that u know what part im refering to

mindless_moder said:
mistrfloppy just for the record i knew it was wip just founfd it weird cos he started modeling the barrel intead of the foregrip

the term foregrip is more widely used amongst us noobs whats imp is that u know what part im refering to

Yeah, the reason I asked if you meant the handgaurd in the first place is because I wasnt sure.

Dont mind me, I am just the forum gun nut. :sniper:

Ding.. Finished
Just mods now and il just post a package picture when thats done.

Finished_Render_LeftSide.jpg

Finished_Render_RightSide.jpg

Finished_Render_Top.jpg

Final Count: 3062
A little to high but its still usable if one wants this kind of details.

Good to be back SidewinderX, I havent really been modeling since I was here until now. Thought id brush up on some old skills, just like riding a bike :)

hey,
that is acutally an awsome poylgon count, beucase you knock off almost have the model whenever you put it ingame, becuase all of the unseen faces, so for that l33tness, damn its good, I haven't been into modeling much myself, Im just trying to get one of my older pistols into Hl2 and pimp it up! lol
oldfaq

yup fine seein you back even if it took a year. hell i thought you could skinn i remeber you bhp

Already told you how I feel about this one on storedyret :)
The model is good, but I'm getting so tired of that rifle. That's not your fault though :) How much reference did you have to dig up to be sure you managed to model it accurately enough?

Looks great really :D

...and now he didn't do a handguard or foregrip, he made a RIS-system :p

Could you attach some rail covers and/or something like an AN/PEQ? :)

Hehe, noone except airsoftplayers mount his or hers M203 onto a RIS-system :p

Yup. Airsoft pwns j00 real life...

Can't wait to see it skinned.

*Cough*itsaforegrip*cough*

I'm sure, but the majority of soldiers or other LE won't use it that way ;)

The grenade's power would rip the launcher off or at least damage the whole thing on the long run.

Recoil said:
I'm sure, but the majority of soldiers or other LE won't use it that way ;)

The grenade's power would rip the launcher off or at least damage the whole thing on the long run.

I have seen pictures from Iraq and Afghanistan of it in use. And quad rail handguards are definately sturdy enough for the recoil of an M203.

Lets try to keep this thread limited to comments and critiques of ChrisArt's model.

That looks great, it just needs a couple things. The (Safety?) in front of the M203 trigger, and the M203 trigger guard goes back and kind of clips on to the front of the magazine receiver. (Shown in image below.)

Also, the front iron sight is supposed to taper a little towards the top, and that bar just above the barrel (highlighted in picture) shouldn't have that support there, and should be wider and a little rounded on top. (Instead of thin and flat.)

Attachments

• m203_3.jpg
    m203_3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 406
  • Render1.jpg
    Render1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 366
are those real mods for hte m4 ?

i think that the model is really looking fine so far ..if you get it skinned it will look amazing if u can unwrap it i think i could give it a try later.

It looks beautiful. And yes those are real mods for an M4. There are to many RIS systems that can be added to list hehe. Nice work!

A skinned version will definitly pop it seems along with a CS:S version. Seems like some of the goats wants this done so it seems good so far.

Il update when that time comes.
Until then :sniper:

Lets try to keep this thread limited to comments and critiques of ChrisArt's model.

Yes, agreed. But could you send me the URLs of that pictures per PM, please?

aye, great model mate. Always good to see your work. Drives me nuts how you get low poly counts out of such highly detailed models. Can't wait to see more from you.

It looks amazing! Great work! Skin it or get someone else to do it fast :) Me want's for CSS.

Do we know how to get the models in-game yet? I can't find Tutorials but I'd love to see this gun ingame and know how to import that kind of stuff myself.

Back