making un portal-able surfaces

spunge

Reaction score
I thought it was just the material used, but it seems that you can shoot a portal onto any flat surface.

Do you need to use a func_ or something? Cant work it out =[

I guess it'll be simpler after an official sdk release

you can just make a map like normal in Hammer, copy it to your Portal maps folder, and run it from there. All surfaces should work since there is a "$noportal 1" parameter in the VMT that needs to be set in order to disallow Portals on it.

some good mappers at thinkingwithportals.com some even have a few test maps up.

He wants to make surfaces that you cannot make a portal on in his.. map or something.
:p
Oh, and nice speedruns on youtube, btw. (That was you, right?)

We need the config file for Hammer to be able to do those. Just use the proper textures in your maps and wait for the release of the config file and then just recompile the map after that.

Another way would be of course to hack one of the map files of Portal and try to read what func_ those unportal-able surfaces use.

Surfaces. Need to be bumpy. To not be portalable.

I bet it's just a material property. I could be wrong, but because Valve takes user-friendliness very seriously ALL non-portable surfaces use specific textures. So it would save a lot of time to make it a material property instead of forcing level designers to func_x every brush they want to be non-portable.

By altering the texture they also enforce the same design principle on all new maps, so unless for some reason this was too difficult to achieve in the code, I'm willing to bet that's what Valve did.

Back