Manhacks & Black Spider Zombies

T

the_bode

At the risk of stating the obvious, I found that once I had the gravity gun, dealing with manhacks became way too easy. Grabbing one and shooting it at another literally killed two birds with one stone every time. Anyone else think so?

On the other hand, even after finishing the game twice, I still haven't figured out a good strategy for dealing with those zombies with the black poisonous spider headcrabs crawling all over them... No matter what I hit them with, they survive way too long. I waste a lot of ammo on them every time... Any suggestions?!?

Later,

Bode

If possible, setting them on fire via a tossed barrel or gas can. It brings them down plus burns up the critters, too. Otherise, I soften them up with a rolled grenade and then finish them off with the shotgun. But yeah, they are incredibly durable. Tough enemy.

the_bode said:
...Grabbing one and shooting it at another literally killed two birds with one stone every time...

More like killing two birds with each other :E

with the black headcrab zombies, the best way is to kill them with a burst of smg fire, then pop an smg grenade into the body to wipe out remaining headcrabs.

however, ammo is low for both those.

For the poison headcrabs its simple: just hit em with your crowbar when they jump at you / when they are recovering from a jump. Easy as hell, but then it might be tricky if theres more than one + a poison zombie.

notmydesk said:
If possible, setting them on fire via a tossed barrel or gas can. It brings them down plus burns up the critters, too. Otherise, I soften them up with a rolled grenade and then finish them off with the shotgun. But yeah, they are incredibly durable. Tough enemy.

Except that it takes a really long time for poison headcrabs to die because of burning :| (or at least it seems like that)

Give 'em rocket. In HW17 I literally blew those guys to pieces, can't stand them at all.

just didnt kill them because theyre not that big a threat and if a black headcrab gets you just hit it with a crowbar theyre also easy to dodge because they take about 4 secs to jump at you.

as for the zombies when you need to kill them, if there is no other enimies around crowbar if there is a few double shooty shots should do it.

For Poison Zombies, I've found a couple shotgun blasts can take down the zombie and if I'm lucky, a couple crabs. The remaining crabs I bash with my trusty crowbar.

Or I'll toss a nade in there and hope I'm lucky. I don't use SMG nades against them because I can't bank them around corners, unlike regular nades. Explosive barrels are the best, though.

One magnum shot will take down the black headcrabs, very easy from a distance since it's accurate. In Ravenholm, the posion zombies can be taken down with a couple of SMG grenades. Or, if you want, you can let it through the headcrabs at you, deal with them, and suddenly the zombie is a helluva lot easier. Just keep your distance and throw stuff at it, taking your time. Laer on, you can use the pulse rifle's secondary fire to vapourise the posion zombies in one hit. Don't waste it on the headcrabs though, just use the magnum again.

TBH, I don't think I used the magnum on anything else, just the posion headcrabs. :)

afaik 2 crossbow shots will kill the zombie on normal difficulty.

The grav gun shoots back and damages headcrabs/poison headcrabs. Just keep using it till the fat zombie threw all his 'ammo', and ignore it, it moves real slow.

I usally use the shotgun on the zombies.
Poison zombies were a bitch, I usally ran.

Or used my enviroment I.E. picked up barrels or heavy objects and flung them at em.

Back