Marc Laidlaw Vault

Even before then. The scientist and the guard at Lambda Core outright told you, "There's something big over there, plz kill it." I should have elaborated; what I meant is that even to the Nihilanth they don't seem like workers. They don't seem to do anything other than monitor the vortigaunts and grunts, and protect the gateway(s) around Xen.

If so, they're not much different than the Combine (the slug race, not the empire).

I always assumed that the controllers were like commanders. You notice them directing the vortigaunts, after all. The Nihilanth may not have complete cognicence over everything it commands.

I like to think that the spieces evolved with the heirarchy.

If so, they're not much different than the Combine (the slug race, not the empire).

Whats to say they were? We only presume they were better than the combine because they were their enemies, but look at the facts, the nihlanth/controllers enslaved the vorts, they were producing their own gentically modified 'super soldiers,' that is grunts and garg, the xenians for lack of a better word could have been just as bad as the combine, just not as powerful.

I've never had any pretensions about the Xenians. They (the controllers, at least) were at least as evil as the Combine. They're definately no better.

Aside from the vortigaunts, the only sympathetic aliens in my opinion would be the shock troopers of Race-X.

shocker troopers?
what makes you say that?

i certainly thought they were pretty dastardly after lobbing those spore grenades at me

is it because they are sentient like the vorts but not mindless killing machines like the alien grunts or evil slavemasters like the controllers?

It's because human scientists came upon them and started taking their "samples"; one of the samples they stole was a baby shock trooper. It wasn't until then that Race-X started pouring in.

Once they were here though they decided to eliminate us, so it wasn't just a rescue mission, it was more like an extermination force motivated by revenge.

I feel sympathetic for Vorts definitely but Race X gains no sympathy from me mostly as they sucked.

It's because human scientists came upon them and started taking their "samples"; one of the samples they stole was a baby shock trooper. It wasn't until then that Race-X started pouring in.

Once they were here though they decided to eliminate us, so it wasn't just a rescue mission, it was more like an extermination force motivated by revenge.

Ah i never knew that; where did you learn that btw? out of curiousity, not skepticism.

The alien gun you pick up in OpFor, the slimy green one in the tube that spits acid balls? The model name is baby_strooper, or some such.

You can also see that the scientists were taking live specimens from whatever corner of Xen Race-X populated, because they had some voltigores in one of the underground artificial habitats.

Holy shit. ****ing holy shit. This is amazing news, cheers to the dude who brought it. It certainly explains the "last" mutterings. I <3 it when things like this come along an make me haev fanboygasms.

What news? Did I miss something?? All I see is sucking Race-X aliens that suck.

Ditto. I tried. Maybe I found what they were talking about recently, but it
must have been of view importance, coz I forgot what the topic might have been. Meh

Ditto. I tried. Maybe I found what they were talking about recently, but it
must have been of view importance, coz I forgot what the topic might have been. Meh

What? Dear god, dude, grammar. They were talking about the revelation that the nihilanth was not the only one of his kind. That were nihilanths.

cant be bothered to quote right but: I've never had any pretensions about the Xenians. They (the controllers, at least) were at least as evil as the Combine. They're definately no better.

Aside from the vortigaunts, the only sympathetic aliens in my opinion would be the shock troopers of Race-X.

Thats not really accurate, whatever Nihilanth did can be shown to be DESPERATE, he was cornered and stressed by Combine forces that probably dont let up easily, such factors led to his building a war machine, using Combine and Race X methods to defend and battle the Combine. Cant be said to be good or otherwise

Do not mention the Race-x, they are oblivious to our senses. Well, ****em. They're not even bit of official canon. Point. Even if...I think Race-X aren't in any possible way connected to Xen, probably haven't even ever been there. They'd just be part of some greater invasion machine, just reckon their kidnapping reputation: Of what use would it have been, if they kidnapped humans? For study??
But yeah, Race-X: PHAIL

Race X did nothing for the storyline and they indeed did phail. (it's in my sig).

I doubt that the Controllers and the Combine are any more "evil" than humanity.

That's pretty much right,actually.If we had a Galactic Empire of our own,we would already be going for concuering everything there is to concuer.

Do not mention the Race-x, they are oblivious to our senses. Well, ****em. They're not even bit of official canon. Point. Even if...I think Race-X aren't in any possible way connected to Xen, probably haven't even ever been there. They'd just be part of some greater invasion machine, just reckon their kidnapping reputation: Of what use would it have been, if they kidnapped humans? For study??
But yeah, Race-X: PHAIL

I will never in my life defend those annoying things any more than this, so do not jump up my ass, but so far Valve has used Gearbox creations to some extent and did authorize whatever they did with expansions so canon or whatever, they do show up in the larger story.

Plus if you wiki Race X Gene Worm it says they are an invasive species seperate from Xen and are set on conquest, but suck too much

the controllers are just a response to Combine attacks and are not near as bad as the Combine, who are the cause of much of the conflict that is shown.

I will never in my life defend those annoying things any more than this, so do not jump up my ass, but so far Valve has used Gearbox creations to some extent and did authorize whatever they did with expansions so canon or whatever, they do show up in the larger story.

They don't, it was confirmed by Valve that they are not part of the story. Also, Wikipedia is not official. It is edited by anyone.

the controllers are just a response to Combine attacks and are not near as bad as the Combine, who are the cause of much of the conflict that is shown.

What do you mean? You do know that the Combine were never in control of Xen, or is that not what you are talking about? Probably just reading you wrong.

They don't, it was confirmed by Valve that they are not part of the story. Also, Wikipedia is not official. It is edited by anyone.

What do you mean? You do know that the Combine were never in control of Xen, or is that not what you are talking about? Probably just reading you wrong.

I mean that Xen was a refuge from the Combine and they are the aggressors in every instance, they started the Nihilanth conflict and forced the Vorts into its control. They are the cause of these fights and many more.

Trying to find the Opposing Force manual but i think it said something similiar to Race X being a conquering force and it would make sense. They would try to create an alien race that was more of a threat than the Xenians to add more depth to the game and expand its scope.

I wonder how the heirarchy went: Nihilanths; Alien Controllers; Vortigaunts; Grunts. Why were the nihilanths made in the first place? Did the vortigaunts somehow enslave themselves, when a bunch of them decided to grow into giant fetuses and order everybody about?

i also thought that the Nihilanth was the Overmind of the Vortigaunts at first until i heard there were Nihilanths, kinda disappointing. Plus the Grunts and Controllers are probably just synths of Vortigaunts made for specific military uses. The resemblance between them definitely leads me to this.

I sincerely doubt it.

They're dead and buried.
Anythat survived the nuking of Black Mesa would've been picked off in the 7 hour war, the Combine don't look like the kind of dudes for who sharing is a high priority.

I was thinking the new old character in Episode 2 would probably be Rosenberg - but the revelation that Laidlaw pretty much ignores Blue Shift with regards to Barney seems to make this less likely.

Looks like it probably will be Shepherd after all.

It's already been confirmed to be (another) Anomalous Materials scientist: Dr. Magnusson. From what I've heard, he's an asshole.

what? have you taken this from the benchmark files?

wow, okay, now I thought I would read all the interviews out there...*sob*

My theory about the Nihilanth and the Vortigaunt Slaves is this; the vortigaunts, in the begining were like any upstart interdimentional empire; empire builders. They tried to expand their civilization throughout the multiverse, until one day, they came across the Combine, and a war began between the two empires. The Combine eventualy won, decimating the Vortigaunt homeworld. The Nihilanth somehow escaping from this attrocity, into Xen, with a small army of Vortigaunt slaves, which brings up another theory of mine; the Vortigaunts, the Grunts, the Controllers, and the Nihilanths were all related. For you see, the Vortigaunts geneticaly altered their soldiers to create super soldiers; the Grunts. They also geneticaly engineered the Nihilanths to help lead them (a super intelligent demi-god would probably be able to come up with at least semi-useful tactics) However, the Nihilanths ended up enslaving the main Vortigaunt race for their own purposes, creating the controllers to help them control the slaves.

Does anyone have Laidlaw email address? I got some things to tell and ask him, for example I'd like to ask to definitely say what is canon, and what is not, and issue a precise timeline of all the games and the events related to them. There are too many inconsistencies, and what better person than him to fix them?...

Hi, Ben, I am going to swear off contributing to this bizarre argument
about canonical versus noncanonical works. If we can make good
entertaining use of the elements of OpFor in future games, then we may
well do that, and at that time I guess folks will have a better idea of
where we stand on all this. We can't speak about story ideas outside of
the games themselves--it's meaningless. The games must stand on their
own, contradictions and all. My only hope is to keep unreeling the
story in such a way that it will continue to please the fans and spark
interesting conversations. Thanks for writing!

Marc Laidlaw

Does anyone have Laidlaw email address? I got some things to tell and ask him, for example I'd like to ask to definitely say what is canon, and what is not, and issue a precise timeline of all the games and the events related to them. There are too many inconsistencies, and what better person than him to fix them?...

He wouldn't do that. It'd restrict him in the future. Besides, he probably doesn't know.

Back