Mario Galaxy Discussion

Reaction score
The wait is FINALLY over :)

I just picked it up at my Best Buy a bit ago. Anybody else get their hands on it yet? So far I've had so much fun just doing satellite jumps on various planetoids let alone playing to get stars :D

Looking forward to gettin' it tomorrow! Nice trick getting it the day before it's released. :p

Picking it up tomorrow, presumably between classes, alongside Assassin's Creed. I cannot ****ing wait. :D :D :D

im in the same boat as stigmata. tomorrow shall be a glorious day.

I got it this afternoon! I have 5 stars so far, it's as beautiful and fun as everyone says. So far it's pretty darn easy, this may be because i've watched videos of the first few levels being played through before though :p

I'm up to 24 stars so far and I'm having a blast still :)

Long live Mario!

I just played about 30 minutes. The whole running around on a sphere thing is going to take some getting used to, I still feel a little dizzy.

I have 7 stars, this game is phenomenal.

Back later.

How much alike are Galaxy and Mario 64? Because I haven't bought any Wii games in almost a year and I really want to play something that isn't Wiisports or Madden 2007.

I like that when I die in Galaxy, I feel like it was my fault, and not the game being cheap or bugging out on me. Partly a testament to the design of the game, but also partly due to the fact that there's no aimbotting AI snipers.

I'm havin' a lot of fun with it so far. 42 stars in! I'm making sure to get all the stars I can from the galaxy I'm on before moving on to the next one even if it's unlocked. :p

I'm confused why people keep saying it's like Mario 64 when it's not really... Mario 64 had big sandboxy levels that had you roaming around and exploring a lot. Galaxy's levels are not sandboxy at all... it's always pretty obvious where you're going and what you need to do for each star (the level changes so much from star to star, plus it shows you where you need to go at the start... even the "hidden" stars are pretty obvious), it's just the things that you do have to do are so crazy, varied, and interesting that the levels are damn fun. Yes there are some pretty easy stars, but there's some mighty challenging ones too, especially some of the comet challenges. I just did daredevil Bouldergeist... ya that was kinda rough. The unique challenges sure beat having to go back and get 100 coins in every single level.

It's like updating old-style Mario to pure 3D platformer instead of adventure/platform hybrid like 64 and Sunshine.

Wow, I got it yesterday too and it really is as amazing as everyone says. Love the gravity of these spherical worlds--wicked fun and not as difficult to get used to as I thought it would be. Loads of hours are going to be spent with this one which is really tough because I got Mass Effect on Sunday night and trying to decide which to play is kind of like Sophie's Choice!! And with Assassin's Creed and Contra 4 coming out today, my time is totally booked!!

I have to admit, just watched a live playing on gamespot for about 15 mins, looks like good fun. kinda childish as always, but hey, Mario is back!

Wish i had a Wii...its not out here till friday anyway..along with AC and Crysis..wow what a day this will be.

Think of Super Mario Galaxy as everything Super Mario 64 could be, and more, if it was updated for the year 2007.

Well if thats the case, BRB going to go buy Mario Galaxy.

10% employee discount here I come.

This game's sheer creativity blows me away. But what's even more amazing is how they just casually toss off these mindblowing platforming sequences like they're nothing. And you almost believe them until you take a second to sit back and gape at the wonder of it all.

I think you might just be a lot better at platformers now than you were when Super Mario 64/Sunshine were out. Plus, Sunshine was a lot harder than it should have been.

I just got it in the post today, although reading the news some UK Stores released it yesterday as a promotional thing, looking forward to going home and playing it!

Just got it and it's great. The surfing looked shit in the screenshots but it's pretty awesome in-game. The boss fights seem quite easy though, which is a shame since they look so nice. The guy you have to hit with coconuts only takes 2 more hits than the spikey basic enemies.

I'm still a bit disorientated....

What a weird, wacky perspective this game is played in. However, it's damn good looking and plays like a dream.

I've only collected two stars, died on the first planet (black hole D: ) and felt like a complete idiot at first trying to collect star bits by walking into them.

I'm so looking forward to this. As soon as I beat Metroid Prime 3 this game is my bitch.

I'm loving Galaxy at the moment. I can't stress how much I miss being able to control the camera Mario 64 style, though. Other than that, it's pure creative awesome :)

I can't stress how much I miss being able to control the camera Mario 64 style
You can in most areas, and in the places where it locks you you'd be able to cheat and get all the starbits are out of view by going into first-person mode.

The game was great to begin with, if a bit easy, but after collecting about 30 stars or so the game really opens up. I could argue how great every aspect of the game design is but all you really need to know is how fun this game is. Every single time I start up a game and tell myself I will only get X amount of stars I end up doing more just to see what they come up with next. You can tell the designers had absolute free reign on designing the levels.

I absolutely love the game, should be game of the year in my eyes, but I have one complaint relating to Mario 64. I wish there was exploration within the overworld as there was with the castle in Mario 64. I personally have only had a few problems with the camera, and I don't know why some people are complaining about the swimming, you can just waggle the remote and swim like a torpedo through the water.

Play this game!

You can in most areas, and in the places where it locks you you'd be able to cheat and get all the starbits are out of view by going into first-person mode.

I've found the opposite. 90% of the time I want to flip the view it's not possible. There's also no feature to zoom in and out. I had no idea how much these things added to Mario 64 untill they were taken away (simply running along a path in 64 could be a joy - zooming in and taking a side profile, or running and jumping towards the screen). I'm also not keen on how the camera now follows Mario around corners and often find it's zoomed too far out. The result, for me anyways, is a game that feels considerably less 3D than Mario 64. It's Mario 2.5D. On the plus side, the game feels closer to Mario's nes/snes roots than Mario 64 ever managed. It's like the stepping stone between SMW and Mario 64 we never got to play :)

As soon as I accepted this wasn't Mario 64 in space I fell in love - Galaxy is a staggeringly good game.

I didn't finish the final galaxy until I had 105 stars. :p Now for the last 15...

Back