Mic issues with tf2

Reaction score
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue, was wondering if anyone had any ideas

Starting a few days ago, my mic stopped working in tf2. If i go into the game's options > voice menu, the game acts like my mic does not work.

However, if i exit out of tf2, go to steam, and go to the view>settings>voice menu, and test my mic, it seems to work fine.

however again, when i try to go to vista's piece of crap sound recorder to test my mic, i get nothing again.

anybody have any clues? I can't play tf2 if i can't communicate with my team, drives me nuts.

Only thing that i could think is to try downloading new sound drivers.

Does your mic have an off/on switch?

nope, its a barracuda razor headset, the only on/off is plugging or unplugging the mic from the headset. I've already tested it to make sure its secure.

like i said, steam seems to detect sound coming from it, for some reason tf2 and windows sound recorder doesn't seem to.

However i did go to 'setting up a new microphone' under speech recognition, and that program seems to detect output while setting it up

ok, managed to get sound recorder to detect my mic somehow, gonna try reinstalling tf2

ok didn't work, i suspect this has something to do with my control panel sound settings somehow.

problem fix'd

had to add +voice_forcemicrecord 0 to the launch options of the game to have it stop trying to force where it was getting the mic signals from, cause it was guessing wrong.

Back