Minecraft for Christchurch

morgs

The Freeman
Reaction score
This is pretty cool, found it a bit late, but cool.

As some of you may know, Christchurch, New Zealand was recently hit by a devastating earthquake.
I personally lost a friend in the quake, coupled with the sheer scale of the property damage many of us have been at a loss as to how to help.
Of course we're aware Japan's quake is unfathomably worse, what better way to start helping than in your own back yard.

And so the Victoria University of Wellington Games Club (and Friends) has proposed this:

Minecraft for Christchurch. http://minecraftforchristchurch.org.nz/

The Aim: To raise money to be donated to the Red Cross (in perhaps the Gooniest way possible), who are providing food housing and assistance to those suffering in the wake of this natural disaster.
And of course, to digitally reconstruct (to scale) the now collapsed Christchurch Cathedral. (See before and after shots below.)

The Game: Minecraft, survival mode. As much as we wanted to do it without Creepers that would be no fun to watch.
Our team of intrepid adventurers will be pushing themselves to the limits of block related endurance.
There will be 6 people working at a time, alongside 2 designated cameramen, designed to film the action.
There will potentially be a skycam of the Cathedral also, so once complete a time lapse of its creation can be made.
The scale shall be one block = 1 cubic meter. We would like to make the construction larger but we are pushing the skybox as it is.

The university has kindly leant us it's Honours Computer Suite in which we will be working in shifts over 48 hours from 1800 NZDST Friday 18th March (That’s UTC+13 for you international types) through till 1800 Sunday.

We are asking for donations in our "Desert Bus for Hope" style marathon (Loading Ready Run has been kind enough to give us a huge amount of support), and your donations (depending on the size of course) will buy you side projects, from simply a sign showing your name all the way up to a giant golden M (I'm fully willing to sell out for a good cause).

There will be a live video and audio feed directly from the room and a video stream from each of the cameramen documenting our progress.

Each team member is also forced to donate $1 for each ingame death, and each time they swear on air. This is going to bankrupt me.
There is two things I'm good at in life and swearing is one of them. Staying alive in Minecraft isn't the other one

Anyways, I appreciate everyone's time and the website probably explains this a lot better than I do, but I'm more than willing to answer any queries anyone has, alongside suggestions and feedback.
aDPdh.jpg

Back