Minor Half-life 2 issues

PoiSoNSpiDeR

Reaction score
Ok im not dissing the game its going to cream doom3 and halo2 but i just have a few things i want to say that i think should be fixed, or I just dont know if their realistic and someone can fill me in, if they are or not. Anyways these are really VARY small things i noticed:

In the video where he throws a grenade under the big garbage bin and some metal in it crushes a guy (the video with the traps),... when the enemy shoots at gordon it hits a peice of metal which just explodes into 4 pieces.

In another video with the antlions they run into the couch while killing a man. Part of the antlions body physically clipped into the couch.

In the video where they show the physics the metal barrels touch each other and make a spark, they hit eachother so lightly i dont beleive that would happen in real.

In the video with barney, when they shoot the man off the building high up he falls to the ground, but bounces a little. Is that real? fill me in ...im serious...would someone bounce a little

*this is my personal thing but i think the crow bar swing looks sissy.....

Yea so that pretty much it......um..........i think those soldiers are aliens cause someone told me they had yellow blood......how bout making them hiss or something when they fall from a building ....k ya bllaaaa anyways half life2 is going to rock hard,....and im ready for your responces dont kill me :(

ALAL!

yea watch the videos and youll see what i mean....nothing big....wouldnt bother me if none of it was ever fixed....just something they could do in their spare time :)

about the bodies bouncing, now im no scientist and i wouldnt 100% know about it but i really think someone would bounce from that height. i mean heres ur options, he would either splat or bounce. and from that height well......i dont think he would just hit the ground.

I think a body would bounce a little, and splatter a little, given that the soldier is wearing thick body armor. They need to add some death screams or at least death jerks to these guys tho: they die silently and without much complaint about being shot. Shouldn't be hard to add at all, they probably just haven't gotten around to it.

The crowbar definately needs to look more powerful, but I've also noticed that the places where it looks "wrong" the sound of the vids isn't quite synched up to the video, which is part of the problem.

Ok first Point, the grenade and bin one. A Bullet is very small and would shatter the metal. However the explosion would cause the crushing effect. Not exactly completely real but its pretty close to what happens.

Second Point about the Antlion clipping the couch. Its not finished so clipping issue wont have fully be cleared up. Im sure it will in the final version.

Barrels and sparks. Maybe it would spark maybe it wouldnt. You see they cant yet program it so the force of it affects if it sparks or not. Thats one very big calculation bigger than you think. Im not all that sure on that one.

The body bouncing now believe it or not it would more than likely bounce. Now it depends on the height if its massivly high then you become sidewalk pizza. The force you hit the ground with actually crushes the body and you get the picture however if its not that high then the body would bounce becuase the force doesnt crush the body. And bounce. If you have seen the one with Jet Li watch the fight in the carpark and what how those bodys land. Its pretty much the same way.

Crowbar, I argee it is a bit sissy but my guess is theyll change it to a rock hard swing.

I not sure on the alien solider and im not even gonna guess im gonna wait till sep 30th and find out the truth.

And they shouldnt flame you they are good questions. :bounce:

How could you possible make these harsh judgements just by watching Pre-alpha demo...jeez people are ..i duno

I won't go near most of this except to say the following:

Re: crowbar swing.

Valve, you need to go to your nearest university, recruit an incredibly geeky professor to go open up some whup ass on an alien species for a week or so of his life, occasionally only with a crowbar, and then have him do a few hundred frames of motion capture to sort that swing out into something realistic for our dear protagonist, Gordon.

You could probably get funding for this if you can find the aliens for him to work out his swing with... let us all know how that goes.

Well, clipping is REALLY hard to deal with, because you're basically balancing out solid objects vs. creatures getting stuck in places because of tiny pieces of geometry jutting out, which doesn't look or feel realistic either. Given the choice, I'd rather have clipping than the antlions getting stuck by a lightswitch.

I thought some of the crowbar actions seemed off, but it could be the video of a video. WHen he smashes three planks of wood I didn't see the crowbar ar all just the splits erupting onthe wood. The sound effect was odd...like he wasn't even hitting it with the crowbar.

The ragdoll physics seem a bit light. In the movies they truly look like ragdolls. Now I don't know what a dead body would be like but it seems too light. The guard that falls from a high level lands on his head/neck/shoulder and bounces...that really doesn't look right. I think it shouldn't bounce so much--maybe the body armor would cause that kind of bounce...i dunno.

Shadows look hit and miss. Doom3 will definitely outdo HL2 in all things lighting. I noticed when the NPC are walking through dappled sunlight they flashed bright (under sun) dark (under shadow). Very unnatural. ALso shadows are additive. So if I stand in your shadow, my shadow makes your shadow darker- certainly not how it works in real life. Some objects cast shadows, others are shadowless in the videos.

Anybody notice the cables bouncing and flying around. When the "manitee" flys overhead all the street cables swing and bounce as the downdraft from the manitee hits them. I think that must be a new entity--a cable, anchored, with a certain definition of slack/strngth.

Of course these are less important in lieu of all the advancement they have made.

WHY don't you turn off your computer, go to your back yard, throw yourself down from a 20m high tree, and see if your body bounces?

Originally posted by dovoxove
WHY don't you turn off your computer, go to your back yard, throw yourself down from a 20m high tree, and see if your body bounces?

hahahahhaa

and to Poisonspider..the game is not final yet so much can be done!

i have seen videos of people falling from various heights and yes they do bounce...they were real and very disturbing and i can tell u it looks real in hl2. hitting the ground or mainly harder surfaces such as concrete will fracture bones and make a totally different effect however( shattering bones means no support= sack or potatos tumbling down stairs or wut not) they did not go to this extent due to people not understanding leading to bad feedback and because it would be disgusting. as for people screaming on the way down, when most people are hit with suc physical trama such as bullets, their bodies do not act as they would want them to, screaming takes energy and most people can not produce the energy needed, after all bullets take a lot out of a person besides their blood and internal organs. and for clipping issuses, this is far more complex than my puny brain can handle, valve gods, im sure are handling this. but take into concideration all the texures and he "give" they have in real life. ex couch compared to metal door.

About the bodies bouncing. I have never personaly seen a body bounce, but I have heard from a few people who have seen skydiving accidents where the bodies DID bounce several feet.

Its all about energy, and it has to go somewhere. The type of surface you fall onto probably has a lot to do with it too.

The Punisher

I've seen two people jump to their deaths from the golden gate bridge onto the ground (about 7 that hit water). It may surprise some people but when you fall from that height you don't "splat" either, in fact there's rarely blood, usually the heart is crushed pretty quickly and doesn't pump any more.

Anyway from what I've seen and heard from others, people don't really bounce, they will tumble or roll if it's an uneven surface, of course from a lower height if you were dead weight who knows.

actually my biggest concern is the mapping-i think its smooth mappin like ut2003 except a lil more jagged, meanin it will look better outdoors than indoors, u know wuty i mean if u saw the demonstration at e3 of the source engine where the ground bulged up, that helped me deal with this issue a lil but im stil;l a lil scepticle(sp?)

edit: cid: when hittin level ground ei. building to sidewalk, they do and unless they hit head first or smack their head very bad blood only is seen form open wounds sustained in fall or normal holes in body, mouth, nose, ears, asshole(serious) the amount of internal damage is insane. btw nose dives the person is basiclly missin their head.

Geez, all of a sudden the board is crawling with experts in jumping suicides. Where did you sickos come from? :)

Originally posted by Apos
Geez, all of a sudden the board is crawling with experts in jumping suicides. Where did you sickos come from? :)

meh.. just bunch of sikos who want HL2 really bad :)

is it so sick to see the life of a man leave him, this is all mans fate, maybe not in the same way but death is part of life...i think everyone should see a man die aleast once, maybe not violently but its there and no reason it should be censored for thoughs old enough. im not sick but i enjoy my life and am aware of death.

Originally posted by PoiSoNSpiDeR
Ok im not dissing the game its going to cream doom3 and halo2 but i just have a few things i want to say that i think should be fixed, or I just dont know if their realistic and someone can fill me in, if they are or not. Anyways these are really VARY small things i noticed:

In the video where he throws a grenade under the big garbage bin and some metal in it crushes a guy (the video with the traps),... when the enemy shoots at gordon it hits a peice of metal which just explodes into 4 pieces.

In another video with the antlions they run into the couch while killing a man. Part of the antlions body physically clipped into the couch.

In the video where they show the physics the metal barrels touch each other and make a spark, they hit eachother so lightly i dont beleive that would happen in real.

In the video with barney, when they shoot the man off the building high up he falls to the ground, but bounces a little. Is that real? fill me in ...im serious...would someone bounce a little

*this is my personal thing but i think the crow bar swing looks sissy.....

Yea so that pretty much it......um..........i think those soldiers are aliens cause someone told me they had yellow blood......how bout making them hiss or something when they fall from a building ....k ya bllaaaa anyways half life2 is going to rock hard,....and im ready for your responces dont kill me :(

They still have months to work on the game so ofcoarse it will have bugs and things that should be fixed.

nah i bet they are sittin back playin the game and workin on tf2 while drinkin a beer and watchin strippers eating cookies. i always worry about devs not solving the problems i want them to solve...im an american short and simple, selfish greedy and power hungery, mine mine mine me me me!

Back