Modding Portal sound files - help!

JaJ

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just registered on this site and this is my first post, so don't go mad at me if this has been anwered before.

Basically, I decided to try to make a mod for Portal, translating GLaDOS' speech into my own language. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Well, I quickly went and consulted with my good old friend Google and found a number of guides to altering/replacing sound files in Portal. The thing is, I followed said guides and I just can't get this to work! :( I need your help, guys.. and girls.
What I'm trying to do here is replacing GLaDOS' first line - "Hello, and welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center" - with a sound file of my own (about 40 seconds of the Portal radio music, if it matters). Here's what I did:

1. I downloaded the program called GCFScape.
2. Opened it up, located the file I need ( http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1319/help1.png) and right-click Extracted it onto my Desktop.
3. Got my own sound file, the radio music and renamed it "00_part1_entry-1" (the name of the line I want to alter). I also made sure it was a .WAV file.
4. As I put my games/stuff like that on Drive E, not C like most people (old habit), I went E:\Steam\SteamApps\(username)\portal\portal\.
Here, I re-created the path of the file I wanted to alter, exactly as I saw it in GCFScape. So in the end, it looks like this: E:\Steam\SteamApps\(username)\portal\portal\sound\vo\aperture_ai. Then in the \aperture_ai\ folder I placed my own file.
Now, according to guides, the game should see this folder, and this file, and use it instead of going to the GCF file.. but it doesn't. GLaDOS is still saying the same thing instead of bursting into music.

I hope you can understand my problem. Help? ^^

Edit: replaced GIGANTIC IMAGE OF DOOM with a link

When you say "made sure it was a WAV" do you mean you just changed the file extension, or did you actually convert it?

Probably a stupid question but you never know.

Yeah there are certain settings you have to use when you convert the sound file to WAV.

Go to the valve dev community, it'll say there.

EDIT: I thiugt the same thing Vegeta :p if you haven't, dbpoweramp works for
me.

I tried yesterday when he first opened the thread, didn't work for me either.

Edit: There's probably a way around, but I can't figure it out now. I have a work to do.

Well, I've never been too good with computers and I don't have any programs specifically to convert files from one format to another. What I did was, since the file I'm trying to use was originally .mp3, I loaded it into Audacity (it's a free sound editing program, but I guess you know it) and exported it as .wav, getting a .wav file. I "guess" that should be good enough?
But, ah well, I still have the original file. I'll download that program one of you suggested and see what I can do with it later on today.
And what do you mean by "certain settings you have to use when you convert the sound file to WAV"? I've really no idea. Or if it's hard to explain, I guess I'll just go to the valve developer community then.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll post again later and tell you what works and what doesn't.

There's nothing wrong with your audio file. It's the game not allowing you to use any custom content, or only audio content.

Well, I'm sorry I'm "late," I've been a bit busy these past 1-2 days. Anyway, I've looked on Valve dev community but I didn't find anything - probably me not actually knowing what I should search for playing a huge part in it.

And since Barnz said that there shouldn't be a problem with my file, I didn't try anything with it. So, basically, what you're saying is, the game simply doesn't "accept" my file for some reason? Do you know a way around it?

Back