MOH Beta

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56031

I just downloaded the beta and thought to put thoughts in here (and anyone elses of course too).

I havem't actually tried any matches yet (literally just installed) but already i'm dubious. Under the stats and awards menu it already says i've unlocked the medal for 100 explosive kills and the medal for play online for 24 hours says i need 86400 hours :|

so....yea....

I've read that it is a very dodgy port. Any word on that? How does it run?

watched some people streaming the PC version
looks pretty lackluster
and despite what they've said, it does look like a copy/paste of BC2
minus the destructibility it would seem
but hey, it's not out until october right? lotsa time to improve things

All you need to know is that my first match just finished and the game froze.

WOW just ****ing WOW! D=

Its a bad hybrid of MW2/BC2:

I cant find anyone half the time
There is no tutorial or anything so tbh i dont really know what i am doing
i cant really tell if there is a difference between classes altho both have different weapons (hell i cant really tell the difference between spec ops and assault apart from their different explosives)
graphics are crap and trust me i aint a graphics whore
everytime you die there is a second and a half long freeze and then allows you to respawn where you have to wait 6 seconds (not very good for something trying to emulate mw2 obv)
customisation options are totally locked in the beta so i cant check that out -_-
weapons dont seem to have that much impact

yeah pretty mediocre, cant believe i was looking forward to this really.

PS i was playing the ps3 version

Just downloaded the PC beta; the game's practically just a mod for BC2 where stuff doesn't really blow up and weapons do more damage.

Use your guns to shoot people?

Objective mode stuff, killstreak stuff, some crap on the hud idk what it does

EDIT: ok i've played a few more matches now and feel i now have a better standing to judge on.

The game is pretty standard in all honesty, its a dumbed down BC2 mod that has been styled for a MW2 aesthetic. The depth and team work of BC2 is absent, the classes now just represent weapon loadouts. Assault and spec-ops still seem too similar to me but only the unlocks may differetiate them which i havent accessed yet (unlocks are avilable in the beta i just misunderstood how the unlocks screen worked tbh o_O i at first thought it was a seperate customisation from the weapon unlocks). It misses the fast pace and inherent frustration of mw2 (there are killstreaks but they dont seem to happen that often plus they are now pointstreaks) but still keeps the whole "spot someone and kill them" thing really.

The second of the 2 maps i played seemed much better than the first, the game hasn't freezed or glitched as much as the first round (tho this thing freezing all the time apparently is a common issue), the TDM seemed better to me than the objective mode (largely due to TDM having no respawn timer in a game more fast paced than BC2 but i'll try out objective again), the tv settings are weird i cant get everything to fit on screen properly even after tweaking it, the graphics are ok but some specific models are terrible and the physics of the dead bodies are strange at times O__o. Production value just seems quite low really.

I aint much of a MP person tbh for all the talk above my only real criteria for MP is how fun and/or frustrating it is. It isn't frustrating like I find MW2 to be but it aint much fun either. It just seems like i hover pretty level at a 1.0 KDR and like ive already said theres no real oomph to the games weaponry, no recoil, no travel time or anything. I never got angry at it nor was i ever elated. Its just so standard...yawn :|

It's a "me too" Modern Warfare knock off. Hell, they even copied MW2's 60USD price tag. That said I'm sure it will be a massive commercial success and receive dozens of editors choice awards. I'll just be over here...idling for hats and crying.

I watched some videos of the Medal of Honor beta on YouTube, and it really does look like Modern Warfare 2. I hope they make it more distinctive before they release the game, but then again, perhaps games that are set in the modern period tend to look similar.

If it wasn't for title of the game, i would have easily mistaken it for one of those free Korean shooters where a new one pops up out every couple of months but they all look and play the same.

It's a poor fusion of Modern Warfare and Battlefield. They tried to blend elements from both games but it just doesn't work. It looks and feels very uninspired. $60? It's not even worth half that much.

None of the shooters that deal with a modern version of warfare have all that much to make them stand out anymore imho. Modern warfare is the new WWII as far as shooters are concerned. Thank goodness for RDR for bringing some fresh new stuff to the table. (Yes, I know it is not a first person shooter but you still gotta give them credit for blowing a totally underrepresented theme out of the water.)

After seeing some videos of the beta and Reading other people's impressions, it's starting to seem like Medal of Honor Pacific Assault all over again. Ever since the original team left (many of them that later reformed Infinity Ward) Medal of Honor lost it's magic. No matter who they hire, it just doesn't have the magic of Medal of Honor AA (and when Call of Duty came out, it completely blew away Allied Assault IMHO). This new Medal of Honor seems like a "Me Too" copy of the Modern Warfare series, with many bugs and tech issues. Of course, it's just a Beta but I doubt the final product will be very compelling.

Still, their next title could be the next big MOH game, Medal of Honor: Operation Iraqi Freedom! Adam Sessler will personally recommend it! :rolling::cheese:

(I'm joking, of course, but hell I wouldn't be surprised if this was their next MOH title)

And about the $60 price tag, I think most PC Games will soon be at that price.

ITT no one seems to comprehend that 'beta' does not mean 'demo.' :p

Anyway, imitating Modern Warfare is kind of dumb for the same reason copying WoW is - it's already a pretty perfect version of what it is. Am I saying it's good? Not exactly (although I've played and enjoyed both games, I can certainly see how people mightn't share my enthusiasm). Neither game is wholly original either, but neither was Gears of War, and look how many me-too brawly man CHESTHIGHWALL cover shooters are popping up now (not you, Vanquish :3). The important thing about all of these titles is they took an established formula and polished the unholy christ out of it, to the point where anyone following directly in their footsteps would have to either step up their game considerably, or do something compelling or different with the formula. Of course, all of these franchises are wildly successful, so from a publisher's point of view it's much easier to just churn out 50 identical titles in the hopes of some of that success rubbing off on them. This seems to be working a bit better for modern war shooters (and WWII shooters before them) than it did for the rash of horrible fantasy MMOs following in WoW's wake (that has thankfully started to die out), but that's probably owing to MMOs being less accessible than regular games - cost commitment, etc. Anyway, it's still early days, I'm sure yet more soon-to-be overdone trends are just around the corner, waiting to be copy pasted ad nauseum.

To the topic at hand, I'm kind of confounded about the decision to bring DICE onto a project like this. It makes good business sense - they bring name value off the back of BC2's success, and they already have an established engine for multiplayer shooters - but I've never really seen them as a premier multiplayer dev insofar as actually making a competent first person shooter. Their games involve shooting in first person to some degree, true, but this is never really the highlight as much as all the bells and whistles attached to it. Stripping out all of this stuff (ie - what made their games unique and compelling) and tasking them with making a slick, polished infantry shooter like Modern Warfare seems kind of... dumb. I honestly can't see them pulling this off very well, and if the gameplay I've seen so far is any indication, they probably won't.

Meh... from what I've seen, it's MW2... I didn't get MW2. I'm not getting this. BFBC2 is better for me anyways. I was never a medal of honor fan to begin with. I might play BFBC2 today... it's been so long I prolly suck and will die.

But yeah... thanks but no thanks whoever the developers are. Stop cloning popular games to try and make a couple bucks. I don't mind taking a few good aspects of a good game and maybe improving on them or adapting them... but honestly I can't tell the difference between them given my lack of exposure to either.

Got mine on pre-order, purely because I've always loved the MoH series. I couldn't give two shits whether it's similar to MW2 or BC2 or whatever, I know I'm going to enjoy it, especially the SP campaign.

Well that was a godawful pile of shit.

Now to play some tf2 to get the taste out of my mouth.

Never played Bad Company 2 multiplayer but playing a little of the MoH beta I was enjoying it a lot more than MW2. I think I'll buy it.

I see this on the Steam page for MOH:

Pre-purchase and get early access to the beta, starting Jun 21st. Also own Battlefield Bad Company 2 on Steam? Get beta access starting on the 17th!

Is this implying that if we have Steam BC2 we get access to the beta? I have BC2 on Steam but I see no reference to getting the beta nor is there anything in my email inbox. I tried going on the beta site but I've tried every conceivable email & password combination that I know and it keeps saying each one is wrong, even though I reset my password.

Pretty sure you have to own BC2 and pre-order MoH.

Yep.

I see this on the Steam page for MOH:

Is this implying that if we have Steam BC2 we get access to the beta? I have BC2 on Steam but I see no reference to getting the beta nor is there anything in my email inbox. I tried going on the beta site but I've tried every conceivable email & password combination that I know and it keeps saying each one is wrong, even though I reset my password.

It said that if you own Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2 then you get access JULY 17th. After the preorder people.

It may not be BF2 but that's what I read somewhere.

I read a huge preview on this today and was generally excited about it, until I came on and saw the beta footage. It is just MW2. I couldn't see ANY differences in it at all. What a massive shame.

It sickens me that game developers are doing this now. The WW2 genre was brilliant at its time, MOH: AA and the first Call of Duty were fantastic. Others get a hold of the market and just grip it dry. Call of Duty: MW comes out, which was very good, the multiplayer was especially good for clanning with the right mods, but then again developers notice the market and just drain it, but its happening at such an alarming rate now.

Seems DICE are the only ones trying to provide a fresh outlook to the genre, despite BC2 being modern warfare again. It is MILESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ahead of MW2. I want the era of good war FPSs back again, games like the mentioned, but also games like Vietcong (slated by all critics but I thought it was fantastic), Hidden and Dangerous 2 (its third and first person). And I want more than anything a game that is on par with Operation Flashpoint in terms of pure genius, there isn't a better war simulator out there as far as I am concerned, and I don't think there ever will be. What has happened to all these titles? What has happened to games in general?

There are very few groundbreaking games these days, the last one being Mass Effect 1 and 2 for me. People go on about RDR but I really don't know why, it bored the ****ing socks off me.

ITT no one seems to comprehend that 'beta' does not mean 'demo.' :p

Actually it does as far as EA is concerned. If you've learnt anything from the BC2 beta it's that even after release they still haven't fixed a bunch of problems that cropped up during beta and it's nearly July now. You think they'll get the MP into shape before release? Fat chance.

Never played Bad Company 2 multiplayer but playing a little of the MoH beta I was enjoying it a lot more than MW2. I think I'll buy it.

Spend that money on Bad Company 2 instead. Trust me.

It's generic modern shooter #13. There's nothing new, nothing flashy, nothing. It's boring.

Yeah but under an EA flag, they are following someone elses agenda rather than their own really.

And I want more than anything a game that is on par with Operation Flashpoint in terms of pure genius, there isn't a better war simulator out there as far as I am concerned, and I don't think there ever will be.
Arma...?

And I want more than anything a game that is on par with Operation Flashpoint in terms of pure genius, there isn't a better war simulator out there as far as I am concerned, and I don't think there ever will be.

project reality mod for battlefield 2. i quite like the original OP but i prefer PR because it's a lot more encompassing then simply being a infantry shooter with vehicles that happens to be realistic, it's got everything and that as well with what makes a army function from the ground up, right from support truck drivers to spotters. it's fully supported and played by a scene of players going strong, it has a ton more depth to simply being rolling island hills with enemy villages every now and again - it collects modern day warzones from helmand province, fallujah, baghdad... i'd like to go into detail about map names but i haven't played in a while, but it's multiplayer factions include the british army, us army/marines, taliban, chinese/PLA, dutch armoured forces, russian miltia... ridiculously large scale warfare in all these respective places so make of that what you will.

there's way too much for me to explain, just go to http://www.realitymod.com/ and have a look at the guide. such a good game, never have played a more realistic or well made war game.

it's such a shame it's so underlooked.

Thanks knut I will give it a look. And yes I've heard so much about Arma, think I will definitely track down and try them out this summer. Are they just as good as Op Flash? If so then I think I'm well behind the times. The screenshots of it look promising anyway, looks like an updated version of it.

Project Reality is awesome, definitely check it out.

Knut, try Arma 1/2. :)

i've wanted to for a while now. in fact, the PR guys are working on a ArmaPR last i heard. sadly the reason why i haven't played PR in so long is because i no longer have a windows PC so no more battlefield, unless of course steam for mac releases older titles in the near future. god i can hope.

That would be up to DICE/EA, I can almost assure you they won't waste resources on a port. There's always dual booting, right?

Don't bother for now, they can't keep their ****ing servers up for more than five minutes at a time.

Yep, they're using authentication servers.

For a free beta.

That's open to anyone.

:|

Didn't know this was open to anyone. Shall give it a try but I don't think I'll enjoy this too much from what I've seen D:

It unlocks on Steam probably around 2 / 3 pm est.

This just feels like I'm playing a washed out version of MW2, with even smaller maps. And even worse animation.

Back