Monster GTA4 Preview!

Harryz

Tank
Reaction score
• Pedestrians seem more alive than ever before (smoking, reading, eating, dialing phones, etc).
• You can whistle for a cab to get to places quicker and may either enjoy the ride to your destination or perform a trip skip with the push of a button.
• Niko is short for "Nikolai".
• Goldberg's first name is Tom.
• Each street has it's own name and the name is popped at bottom-right as it is entered.
• Unable to simply just walk into Ammunation and buy a weapon, Niko has to search around in alleyways, backstreets, basements, etc to obtain them.
• Weapons are not as easy to acquire.
• Little Jacob is a weapons dealer, selling (9MM, SMG, Micro SMG) out of the trunk of his car for $100 a piece.
• You can also buy ammunition seperately.
• The cinematic camera mode is still in, along with multiple others; the default is placed slightly to the left of the driver side.
• The TW@ Caf? is located in Algonquin, north of Middle Park (Central Park)
• It costs $1.00 to get online at the cafe and is "Totally Wireless".
• The game has its "own" internet which is to have lots of fun things to do and explore on it.
• Niko has his own account that is accessible from any computer in the city.
• Inside the cafe, all terminals are neatly laid out and it is basically the same as a standard looking Cyber cafe.
• Pressing LB will make Niko sit down on the terminal, once sat at the terminal, the screen is displayed, as you would see it on your monitor.
• You control the (mouser) pointer with the analogue stick of the Xbox 360 controller.
• R* asked the reporters not to write about some of the web addresses that appear while browsing GTA's quirky version of the web, "because it's still stuff that's being worked on at the moment"; interestingly they checked out some of the domain names they noted down on WHOIS and none are registered by Take 2 yet. [Hint]
• You may be able to use credit cards as payment option in the game.
• Niko submitted a fake CV to the Goldberg Ligner & Shyster website, where he claims, i) his objective is to (quoted) "rise to the top of my profession in Liberty City", ii) experienced in criminal law with cases such as manslaughter under his belt, iii) deals with emerging markets in the West Indies, iv) has been associate attorney at Mediterranean Shipping Enterprise, v) has been an intern at a police force, vi) Got an MA in International Relations at 'Walford University', UK and a first class degree to boot. vii) skilled in people management, coping with cultural differences, athletic ability, shooting, boxing, running, and swimming "to a professional level", viii) interested in world affairs, importing and exporting goods, and free market competition.
• There's perhaps more truth to some of these claims that others, as we're sure to find out during the full game.
• The address of Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster Lawyer firm is 44 Emerty Street, The Exchange, Algonquin, according to their website. They also had a phone number listed (area code 669).
• Once the appointment is set (after you get the call from Karen, Private secretary of Goldberg), it is automatically dropped into the organizer of Niko's phone.
• Niko doesn't have to accept phone calls if he doesn't want to, but if someone is intent on reaching him, they'll become increasingly annoyed. By the way, the name of the cell network is Whiz.
• Comercio Roboto is the next generation of the Domestobot.
• Motorized scooters are reported to be advertised on the Radio.
• Reporters saw McReary as wearing a black suit and tie, and sports a moustache and strong side parting in his slicked blonde hair.
• After the meeting with McReary, Niko jacked into an unlocked Black Comet.
• The engine sound was as impressive as we hear in Forza or PGR.
• The default camera angle is at the more central position leaning towards the drivers' side. When driving, the field of view and sense of direction the reporters experienced was superior to previous GTAs.
• Every car is integrated with GPS system and the recommended route shows up in yellow on the radar at the bottom left.
• On the way to meet the blackmailer, the reporters saw trashcans with individually modelled items of different trash in them, newspaper dispensers, American flags hanging from many buildings, a Cola van with the slogan 'Deliciously Infectious', a hot dog stand, Burger Shot, a Chemist and a 'Vinewood' branded video hire store.
• As said earlier, each street has its own name and so far, reported street names are, Chinatown, Presidents City, Lancet, Hatton Gardens, Middle Park East and Ruby Street.
• As soon Niko meets the blackmailer, he pulls out his gun, triggering an over the shoulder aiming view, and caps him nine times to make sure he's dead. Then, Niko collects back the memory stick.
• As soon all the actions take place, police sirens were heard, and Niko's wanted level immediately got on two-star. Pedestrians start running all over the place in panic, and they're all running in different ways and directions.
• Earned wanted level triggers as a blue and red search radius, appeared on the radar at the bottom left of the HUD. Police dispatch will notify officers in their area of the details - who they're looking for, description, last known location, and direction they're heading.
• Escaping the radius will lose the wanted stars.
• The Wanted Level system is realistically based on the line of sight, as well. If an officer sees you changing cars or spots on the road after your description has been given out, then the search radius is refocused to your last known location.
• The more wanted stars are earned, the more expansion happens with the search radius.
• Cops position can be seen on the radar, but new ones can appear as their backup comes to help out.
• As the Niko exits the search radius, the stars will keep flashing so he has to be careful until the stars are gone.
• Once the stars disappear, Niko heads to Cod Row, Denver Avenue, Exeter Avenue and stop at Northwood / East Holland, then hands over the memory stick to McReary.
• Before heading for the interview, organized earlier in the day, with Goldberg, a T-shirt icon appears on the radar to mark Niko's first destination and Niko heads towards Silicon Street, through Quartz Street, and Middle Park East. Now we reached at Perseus - a quality menswear shop with prices to match its flashy d?cor.
• At the Perseus store, Niko picks up a Chocolate suit for $1000 and some nice shoes for $200.
• Inside the lawyer firm, while Niko walks with Karen towards meeting room, Karen advises him about Goldberg, "He's just in here. Don't be nervous, he doesn't bite".
• As soon Niko pulls out the gun, Goldberg reacts, ""Woah, woah, hold on second there friend! We're lawyers, we don't need guns! Strong move though, I gotta say, I like that style... I'm all about the Second Amendment... guns don't kill people, videogames do!""
• Then, Niko demands to know where the McReary files are, then puts a bullet in Goldberg before he smashes and falls through the window of his office down to the street below - that's him taken care of.
• 10 seconds later, the wanted level reaches upto 3 Stars (out of Maximum of 6 Wanted Stars) and police sirens are heard. Now, Niko is bound to make the escape from the building.
• Niko can basically take cover behind anything (in this office environment, a cleaner's maintenance trolley does the job), and Cops are seen to take cover, as well.
• In addition to the involving cover system, there's also the ability for Niko to blind fire.
• The gunfight and chaotic rhythm of hiding, taking cover, shooting and reloading is classic gameplay that is great fun to see action, particularly with the ragdoll deaths of everybody in sight - against walls, down stairwells.
• The cops keep coming into the building to try and bust Niko. Niko makes an exit using various emergency stairs.
• The demo was played twice. On the second play, after Niko takes out Goldberg, instead of pursuing the missions from the first play, Niko instead opts to get his hands dirty in a massive outside shootout, in an area full of opportunities for cover. Cops, pedestrians, traffic and choppers all get in on the action, and Niko even blow up a gas station for the hell of it with some carefully aimed shots at the refill terminal when he switches the weapon to the Micro SMG. Awesome, as it explodes out in different directions out of the pump and the screen shakes with a bassy boom. Eventually, Niko dies in the action, after a while.
• As soon he dies, he falls to the ground and the camera pans high looking downwards to show that you've botched the job up.
• R* confirmed that the whole demo only showed off one third of Algonquin. It's about 1/16 of the full game map.
• The next preview will include PS3 impressions, online features and multiplayer modes.

-GTAGaming

For new screens and other info, check the GTAGaming link.

Reading through the list now.

Tom Goldberg = Jack Thompson?

""Woah, woah, hold on second there friend! We're lawyers, we don't need guns! Strong move though, I gotta say, I like that style... I'm all about the Second Amendment... guns don't kill people, videogames do!""

I reallllllly need a 360! :O

:) you just made my day with this lovely summary

What about car damage/deformation? I want to see some real deformation, that would be swell.

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to play this.
Looks like you can accomplish missions in different ways this time. Not just have different endings to the missions.
New screenshots are nice, some are obviously from earlier days but still nice to see how far its comee :)

In the unlikely event that GTAIV looks better or runs better on the PS3 than it does on the 360, i'll be buying a PS3 solely for it.

You're buying a 800+ USD(Or 600 euro+) console for ONE game? You some sorta male prostitute? You gotta be to afford to waste that much money just for one game.

Anyway, got this pre-ordered for my 360.

By the way lePobz, you should be aware the 360 gets exclusive episodic content which the PS3 version does not, so IF you have a 360, getting GTAIV for it is a wiser investment.. I think Microsoft paid Rockstar some 50,000,000 USD for the exclusive episodic contents.

I'm aware of the episodic content, but with most other games, episodic content just seems to add missions to existing scenarios, instead of adding extra places or models. I'm not really fussed about this.

From what i've seen in the 360-run videos so far, it does look a bit choppy. I think this is probably just because its early days and hasn't been properly optimised yet, but if the finished game is this choppy on the 360, and the finished game on the PS3 is smooth, then I may sacrifice the episodic content for the smoothness.

I've got a 360 already but i've wanted a PS3 for a while, ever since I saw that 'PS3 home' video. Kinda cool. Not really worthy of buying a PS3 in itself, but alongside Blu-Ray, It would only take a nice game to push me over the edge of buying one. I've just lost my job but ive still got a bit of money knocking around, and I should have another job by release day anyway (i sodding hope so!)

but if the finished game is this choppy on the 360, and the finished game on the PS3 is smooth, then I may sacrifice the episodic content for the smoothness.

Same here. I do hope they are similar in performance, though, as I suspect the extra content of going to be more than a few tiny missions. For the amount of cash MS have paid we should get something decent.

I would expect equal performance on the 360, considering I've heard some other devs who are also doing freeform open-ended games for multiplatform(Pandemic Interactive namely) say that getting equal performance out of the consoles is far easier than getting better out of any of them. If anything, some PS3 multiplatform games have looked SLIGHTLY worse or SLIGHTLY better than their 360 counterparts but I've yet to see any major difference.

In the unlikely event that GTAIV looks better or runs better on the PS3 than it does on the 360, i'll be buying a PS3 solely for it.

They both look exactly the same. The lead..person..guy at Rockstar said that both games are exactly the same apart from the 360 version gets the exclusive content.

And for 50 million, I'm hoping that content is going to be alot of new stuff. Sort've like the Shivering Isles is to Oblivion. (anothjer 30/40 hours gameplay)

Awesome.

When is the PC port coming, you know, with better graphics and modding capability?

Oh, you mean the version with worse controls. Not sure when that's out, could be a long wait ;)

Damn. I'm going to have to limit myself this Winter.... Mass Effect and GTA for the 360..... Metroid and Galaxy for the Wii.

NO XMAS PRESENTS FOR ANYONE.

Although a lot of info in the preview is golden, I sincerely hope that the game doesn't give off the same feel as San Andreas, being a largely empty with too much jammed in activity wise. And if there is a huge amount of activity, I hope that the ygel well with everything else in the world.

Someone buy me a 360 :(

This looks very exciting

Oh, you mean the version with worse controls. Not sure when that's out, could be a long wait ;)

Mouse + Keyboard for aiming and moving.

USB Gamepad for driving and flying.

You were saying...?

Mouse + Keyboard for aiming and moving.

USB Gamepad for driving and flying.

You were saying...?

Each to their own :)

Using a keyboard for movement is horribly archaic once you're used to analogue and I never found a mouse to benefit the series in a single way. GTA is a slow game and, as such, anyone with slight control over their thumbs can aim easily with a pad. Plus you can lock onto the enemy on the console versions. Having to switch control methods everytime you jump into a car is shite - although it has to be better than using a keyboard ;)

Man, I played GTA:SA on my mates laptop last night. I felt like putting my fingers in a blender when I was finished so that I would never have to experience those horrid controls. Felt like I was controlling Pacman. But still, I'll stick with using one simple controller than having to switch between two controller methods. Although it seems a little backwards to complain about controls when you'd be using a gamepad, the equipment of the console, on the PC, but fair enough!

Does it really matter? Soley PC users claim the controls are "too hard" when they have only tried it once or twice. Y'know, you have to get used to the controls first.
Meanwhile soley console users say teh exact same thing about keyboards. FFS there both the same and easy to use once you get used to them

Stop ruining our fun by being sensible!

I like both. I find elitism over just one of them to be the most moronic thing ever, personally. :cheers:

Awesome.

When is the PC port coming, you know, with better graphics and modding capability?
When you stop being a fanboy?:rolleyes:

And I agree with TheAntitop, fanboyism(or elitism) of any kind is just retarded imo. There's no such thing as black or white in the world, it's all a massive puddle of some alien grey substance.

Ragdoll physics? WELL ABOUT ****ING TIME, WHOPEEEEEEEEEE

Can`t wait for the PC release.
I didn`t read all the spoilers but I hope it a bit more realistic when it comes to fighting, firefights and gore. I mean, one shot to the head should drop a person like a sack of bricks.

Not only ragdoll physics, but the Euphoria physics engine(Rockstar bought a copy for GTAIV apparently) which blends physics, animations and AI into one whole!

LOL; I'll take mouse aim over auto-aim any day & good luck doing half these stunts with a console controller....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXovpQhnqd4[/YOUTUBE]

Without being bigheaded, half the things you did in that video weren't that special. :| Jumping ramps, doing a few spins the air then landing them was easy as hell on the Xbox. If anything, easier with analog controls. In fact, I don't see the comparison here at all. :|

You're both wrong. It's a matter of preference when it comes down to controls; there's no definitive "this is better." There's nothing "easier with analog controls" or "doing half these things with a controller." at all. Completely wrong, it's down to the individual. You can't make a case for the this. No more :| or I'll flip and ban because I hate the damn smiley.

wtf is this?

viewshot.php

Got it off that website. Welcome to the Lost Coast in London?

Back