Mossad target and kill Iranian university professor with motorcycle bomb

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Two assailants on a motorcycle attached a magnetic bomb to the car of an Iranian university professor working at a key nuclear facility, killing him and another person Wednesday, state TV reported. The slayings suggest a widening covert effort to set back Iran's atomic program.

The attack in Tehran bore a strong resemblance to earlier killings of scientists working on the Iranian nuclear program. It is certain to amplify authorities' claims of clandestine operations by Western powers and their allies to halt Iran's nuclear advances.

how is that not terrorism? what little moral high ground israelis had is destroyed by these sort of actions

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...her-nuclear-scientist-in-iran/article2298424/

innocent until proven innocent:

"It said the person accompanying Roshan died later of injuries at a hospital.

IRNA said an 85-year old passer-by was injured in the blast. "

when the other side does it's terrorism

Erm, how do we know it is the Mossad? It could have been the CIA as well or even the Saudis.

I wouldn't call it terrorism, but it was an assassination.

That said I don't think they should call the other side's assassination attempts terrorism. Terrorism is things like: bombs on a bus, 9/11, London tubes bombing, embassy bombing, etc.

It's important for us to get back to the real meaning of words, so the laws against terrorism can't be blanket applied to other 'crimes' or offenses that really aren't.

That said I don't think they should call the other side's assassination attempts terrorism. Terrorism is things like: bombs on a bus, 9/11, London tubes bombing, embassy bombing, etc.

It's important for us to get back to the real meaning of words, so the laws against terrorism can't be blanket applied to other 'crimes' or offenses that really aren't.

car bombs blowing up killing/injuring indiscriminately is pretty much the definition of terrorism. they didnt care about civilian casualties. had they wanted to kill him quietly that's exactly what would have happened. the bomb is sending a message.

the US condemned the attack:

""The United States had absolutely nothing to do with this. We strongly condemn all acts of violence, including acts of violence like this," said Mr Vietor."

in other words they dont see it as an equivilent of say the assassination of Osama. they just stop short of calling it state terrorism because well ..the israelis might not like it

Erm, how do we know it is the Mossad? It could have been the CIA as well or even the Saudis.

because of this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...lear-program/2012/01/11/gIQAVUH8qP_story.html

I know who doesn't approve of this, Ron Paul.

RON PAUL 2012!

What does terrorism have to do with the scale of destruction caused, if any? Even a threat could be considered terroristic.

That's no proof, just a hint. Don't get me wrong, it probably was Mossad or Shin Beth, but you shouldn't rule out other options. Especially the Saudis.

Well yeah, we're never going to get proof of it, not until 50 years after the fact. This is as close as an admission of guilt we'll ever get from a militaristic religious state.

What does terrorism have to do with the scale of destruction caused, if any? Even a threat could be considered terroristic.

It has to do with intent. If the intent is to scare (terrorize) the greater population at large then it's terrorism. If the intent is to assassinate one guy and some others are blown up unintentionally it's collatoral damage. There's a big difference between a car bomb with thousands of pounds of explosives throwing shrapnel everywhere, and a smaller bomb in a car designated to kill one specific man that will get inside it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying anything that was done, I just think it's important to use the correct language. We should be wary when everything is labeled terrorism, even regular crimes (Eg: someone doing an arson accused of terrorism, etc)

I know who doesn't approve of this, Ron Paul.

RON PAUL 2012!
Actually, we didn't do it and it's not in our nation, so it's none of our business to approve or to disapprove through our actions, is Ron Paul's stance.

Actually, we didn't do it and it's not in our nation, so it's none of our business to approve or to disapprove through our actions, is Ron Paul's stance.

Hence why Stabby just said he "didn't approve" of it. Thats not saying he disapproves!

You know who wouldn't have slightly misapprehended what Stabby said? Ron Paul.

Hence why Stabby just said he "didn't approve" of it. Thats not saying he disapproves!

Touche. But in all seriousness that policy needs to be adopted by our nation ASAP. At one time I thought we had an obligation to police the world and protect nations like Israel. Now I realize that morally and constitutionally, and in practicality, they need to fend for themselves and take care of their own issues. I like Israel and all and would like to visit there sometime, but it's time to stop acting in defense of them (and in turn, take them off OUR leash and let them defend themselves as they see fit without us stopping them)

That's no proof, just a hint. Don't get me wrong, it probably was Mossad or Shin Beth, but you shouldn't rule out other options. Especially the Saudis.

I didnt point the finger: Iran did as well as other groups. they point out it was the same magnetic bomb that killed other scientists in Iran's nuclear program. seeing as who the atarget was and what he was associated with it's a pretty good guess that israel was behind it; they have the most to lose from Iran getting nukes ..not that Israel doesnt have it's own nukes that could make iran into a glass parking lot a few times over

Yeah, Stern, the Jews did it.

Also, this is the first time I heard of reusable magnetic bombs. WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE.

The state of Israel don't give a **** about international Goyim law. The long history of Mossad activity throughout the world is testament to a complete disregard to whatever anyone else says. The principal reason they are actively against Iran acquiring Nuclear weapons has less to do with fear that Ahmadinejad will go off on a rampage (I work with some Iranians and although no ones particularly happy with Israel it's more a case of they tend to see it as a bit of a South Africa situation Jews>Muslims. Jerusalem is a sacred City to Muslims as well as Jews and Christians) , but more that they themselves will come under increasing international scrutiny and pressure over their activities in Palestine provoking the Muslim populace with their overboard acts of retaliation (2 IDF soldiers go missing on the border, so they invade Lebanon and kill 1000 people whilst they are at it...wtf) rather than coming to terms in a constructive fashion.

Personally I think it's the biggest cluster**** going on the planet and is the ultimate example of what happens when people place greater value on cultural divisions above universal commonality.

letthebutthurtflowthrou.jpg

Anyway good on Israel for taking care on bizness.
I just wish it could be done without my tax money.

Anyway good on Israel for taking care on bizness.
I just wish it could be done without my tax money.

And your thoughts about other countries assassinating our citizens?

whatever you say jew hater.

edit: Raz it's all about rooting for the home team.

Sorry, I don't automatically root for everything America does overseas. Though I doubt this had any American influence.

whatever you say jew hater.
Thank you for confirming the fact that you have absolutely no integrity, and are willing to say whatever it takes to allow yourself to believe you're correct.

They are killing civilians whose only crime was being brilliant in the field of physics. It is terrorism, and if Iran was doing this to our scientists or Israeli sceintists they would have been invaded instantly.

They are killing civilians whose only crime was being brilliant in the field of physics. It is terrorism, and if Iran was doing this to our scientists or Israeli sceintists they would have been invaded instantly.

It was assassination because it was a targetted hit on a specific individual. Terrorism is the blanket attack of human non combatants in a certain area with hopes of maximum casualties. It's important to use the right language. For example: In Iraq during the US occupation, the militias launching attacks solely on military targets were enemy insurgents. The groups putting car bombs into packed local markets and setting them off during peak shopping time are terrorists.

That said, Iran already harasses Israel by proxy through Shia extremist groups. Israel harasses Iran with Mossad/covert ops and double agent Iranians.

Wow. What a moran

How is he one? It's on Israel to defend itself and we shouldn't give them nor any other government financial aid.

Thank you for confirming the fact that you have absolutely no integrity, and are willing to say whatever it takes to allow yourself to believe you're correct.

Did you read what I quoted him saying?
He's the one that got personal first.And this isn't the first time he went on a anti Israel rant.

This terrorism debate can go on infinitely since there is no internationally recognized definition of terrorism. If you want to argue what is and isn't terrorism, you should make clear where this definition comes from.

If we're going to by U.N. condemnation of terrorism from 2004, S/RES/1566, it is the following:

"criminal acts, including against civilians, committed with the intent to cause death or serious bodily injury, or taking of hostages, with the purpose to provoke a state of terror in the general public or in a group of persons or particular persons, intimidate a population or compel a government or an international organization to do or to abstain from doing any act, which constitute offences within the scope of and as defined in the international conventions and protocols relating to terrorism, are under no circumstances justifiable by considerations of a political, philosophical, ideological, racial, ethnic, religious or other similar nature,"

Personally, I think this act might very well fall within this definition.

The European Union's definition (Which was the first time ever a large number of countries agreed upon a joint definition of terrorism) is very similar, and makes it clear that it doesn't have to target civilians and that it's aim doesn't have to be to strike fear into the general populace but can instead be to try to force a government to take certain actions.

In this case, one could argue that this is an attempt to force Iran to abandon it's nuclear program, no?

Well, note that the UN document you quote is not a definition as such but a condemnation. It is not focused on providing a stringent, flexible and useful definition of the concept of 'terrorism' for diplomats, experts and international relations academics to use in their discussions and theories. It is focused on saying that certain things are super awful and should not be done, no matter how victimised you feel.

There's value in this, but its objective of condemnation would be served by making a grab-bag of awful things and listing them all, even at risk of redundancy, just as well as it would be served by a stringent definition. In fact, the object of condemnation would probably be served better with a grab-bag because you can just condemn everything you like and reduce the risk that some sneaky bastard will try to weasel his way out of the problem by arguing that his country's murder of 8,000 civilians last Sunday was not technically terrorism. When you're trying to prevent people from killing, you can't afford to leave loopholes. So it isn't necessarily a good guide to what we should classify as terrorism.

It is clearly possible to commit an atrocity that is not actually "terrorism". So whatever the answer (and there's a case to be made that persuasive assassinations do count as terrorism), even those who strenuously disagree with Israel(?)'s actions in this case should be stringent about their definitions. Failing this task just emulates the old Bush-era canard of calling anything you don't like "terrorism", even from the opposite side of the political spectrum.

No doubt Sulkdodds, I was never saying I personally go by those condemnations (Or the EU's definition), merely felt it might be beneficial to look at what documents there are out there by various international or national bodies that try to be more specific about what can fall under the term of terrorism.

Within my personal 'definition'/view on terrorism assassination does count as a terror act during peace-time. On the other hand if two nations are formally at war and Nation A assassinates the highest military leader of Nation B and does so in a manner that will not invoke civilian casualties then I wouldn't consider that terrorism.

this is a bit offtopic but kinda related to it

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world...ttack-against-israeli-jewish-targets-1.408705

Published 01:48 23.01.12
Latest update 01:48 23.01.12

Azerbaijan thwarts terror attack against Israeli, Jewish targets
Security official in Baku links Iran to planned operation; three men detained.
By Eli Shvidler Tags: Iran threat Israel terrorism

Get Haaretz on iPhone
Get Haaretz on Android

Three men were detained last week after planning to attack two Israelis employed by a Jewish school in Baku, the Azerbaijan Ministry of National Security has revealed. Meanwhile, an Azeri commentator considered close to the republic's president has launched a scathing indictment of Iran.

wonder what would be stern reaction if this attacks happened

Back