Motherboard/CPU deal at fry's

Reborn

Reaction score
I've been looking for a new motherboard/cpu and i came across an ad in the newspaper at my local Fry's, and i'm just wondering if it's worth it because i'm not sure if that motherboard is anygood...

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Processor and ECS motherboard
-bare cpu with quantispeed architecture
-ECS K7VTA3 8.0
motherboard features
- on board 10/100 LAN, USB 2.0, RAID

SALE - $74.99

i don't need those extra integrated sound/lan cuz i already have those cards. i dunno about that motherboard, but it seems like a good deal to me. Any suggestions?

I don't know about the motherboard, but the processor cost around $70 by itself. Sounds like a good deal even if the motherboard is crap.

Yep, definetly a good deal. Just quick googling yields that the mobo is good, not excellent and not the fastest/best, but good.

ECS is definitely a good brand overall. Usually horrible boards for overclocking, but, alot of boards have hacked BIOS that let you overclock (well, I know the two I've had had this available).

Can't vouch for that motherboard specifically, but as dawdler googled it, it comes up as a good board and ECS is a good brand in general. Great deal overall, I'd go for it if you were looking at an upgrade

ok thanks guys, yeah, i needed an upgrade from my old 1.0gig amd + K7turbo... that k7t was an awesome board though, lated a long time.

Well, i saw another another good deal to buy a 512mb ddr ram for $69.99, i'll grab that along with that cpu/mobo combo.

Make SURE the RAM isn't too fast for that mobo, or too slow for that matter

is there a way to see wot type of ram u have got with out openning up ur case and looking?

Originally posted by Willber123
is there a way to see wot type of ram u have got with out openning up ur case and looking?

You should be able to check in the BIOS

just simply right click on My Computer and it'll show your computer's specs... and RAM

edit: nvm sorry, i thought he said 'how much' instead he said what kind, my bad

ECS is simply a piece of crap. ive tried to buy many of those motherboard + cpu deals that included that same motherboard. i ended up returning it because it would simply not boot. everytime i tried to push the power button, it would turn on for like 5 seconds and just. was never even able to access bios at all. first time i tried buying was like 6 months ago; same deal that ur getting (same mobo and cpu) i exchanged mobo like 5 times, which none booted. all hadsame problem mentioned. i tried again like about 2 months ago with simalr deal 2400 with same mobo. same problem happened. i just finally gave up and bought everything seperately.

but then again im may be having bad luck?

Its a good deal man, i have own and currently own at least 3 ECS motherboards and i also own the exact model you are getting and i'm telling you its a pretty good piece of hardware. Setting it up is easy and the motherboard is decently priced. I would suggest you get it as i have had nothing but good things happen with that mobo.

For the last poster: Maybe you got a bad batch of mobos or just refurbishes/used ones? In my experience all the ECS equipment i've gotten has worked perfectly.

if ur a frys employee and u bust someone stealing, u get a 100 dollar bonus

check the bus on the board. Ussualy those combo deals at fry's have mobo's with crappy FSB speeds. They're ussually 533mhz. (I know cause I looked into them alot when I was looking for new computer parts.

I seriously doubt a socket A board would have a fsb of 533.......

Back