Multiplayer Mapping Question

T

TMoney

I've been reading through the forum and every once and a while, someone mentions that you can't use a certain physics function in multiplayer.

I'm working on a DOD:S map. What physics can I use for multiplayer? i.e. phys_hinge, phys_constraint, etc.

I've built a working catapult, using hinges and physics objects. Can I use this in DOD:S?

Thanks

well im no expert, but AFAIK, all physics entities still work in multiplayer. rather, the problem is that too many physics objects are very hard on the netcode and can cause lag? or perhaps put too much load on the server? I'm not sure.

for this reason they made the prop_physics_multiplayer, func_physbox_multiplayer, and things like that. They aren't terribly accurate, and i don't know if they'd be at all appropriate for physics based weapons. However, these are supposed to be much less demanding of the server/ connection, I guess.

hmm. i built a brush-based trebuchet once, but i never actually built it into a map, or tried it on a server. :monkee:

anyway, I'm sure that hinges and constraints are still functional in multiplayer. I don't know how they affect performance. You might try checking the valve dev. wiki for _multiplayer props and physbox's and see if it says anything about that. :| I seem to remember reading something about multiplayer physics ents on their site, a while back...

I've never been a fan of the _multiplayer physics.

While in-game they might not be as demanding but oh my god, they don't feel real, or good to play with gameplay wise either.

So if you can, go with regular physics. If you see that your FPS is too low, just change them. About the catapult, as long as all the entities you've used are included in DoD:S then yes, you can use it. If you're unsure, put it in an empty DoD:S map (Just make a skybox-room) and see if it works. It's just CnP anyway.

Those types of entities are not meant to help fps but to reduce lag and not make the server work so hard.

thanks for the info guys. My catapult works fine when i test it i just need to try it on a server.

Back