My memorial website :)

Xendance

Tank
Reaction score
Hi all, hope this is allowed but if not then please do delete it.

I've made a website in memory of my Mum who passed away last year. The aim is to help other young people like myself who are going through such a horrific time in their lives, in the hope they leave the website knowing they are not alone. I'd appreciate it if you could check it out and nitpick anything which you don't like: colours, pictures, typos, etc.

Clicky!

Again apologies if this is against the rules. Many thanks.

I think it's a noble idea. Sorry for your loss.

It's a lovely tribute Xend and the stories on there are very touching, very well done. Only criticism would be that I can't read any more as you've taken it down for maintenance :)

Sorry about that, tried upgrading Wordpress but it failed so having to do it all manually... will be back online sortly :)

I liked the design - pretty easy on the eyes, and some touching stories as Glenn mentioned. Only noticed one or two spelling errors, but very well done.

Sorry to hear about your mother, but I think this is a great thing to do in her memory.

Very cool idea. I'm sure she'd be proud and honored beyond words.

Okay, fine, since no one else is going to do it, I'll be the bad guy. First let me say that I am sorry for your loss, that losing a loved one is always difficult, and that you're lucky to still have family about to help each other get through it.

Now then. Everything about this seems wrong to me.

I'll ignore the mistakes of grammar / spelling, but you really should have checked that stuff before showing it off to people. Still, you're hung up on things like numbers of visitors and people "liking" it on Facebook and tweeting about it and etc. As a memorial website, it should be for the people who actually knew her, and for all of the information on the site, it doesn't actually say anything about her.

It doesn't tell people what kind of person your mum was, it doesn't have any touching stories about her from your youth, and aside from the logo, it doesn't even have any pictures of her. In all honesty, it seems more focused on you than anything. "Talk to me," Look at my random blog, Read my Best Man's speech. The extent of what you learn about her is that she smiled a lot, she liked walks, and she died of cancer.

The presentation of it is almost commercial. It should be about sharing who she was, and what made her special. Instead you have a tiny picture of her and a huge banner that says "1000 visitors". Even your "About Me" page contains information on your girlfriend, but says absolutely nothing about your relationship with your mother.

It's not to say that what you're doing in making a memorial site is wrong, but that you are going about it in a very limited and inaccessible way.

Okay, fine, since no one else is going to do it, I'll be the bad guy. First let me say that I am sorry for your loss, that losing a loved one is always difficult, and that you're lucky to still have family about to help each other get through it.

Now then. Everything about this seems wrong to me.

I'll ignore the mistakes of grammar / spelling, but you really should have checked that stuff before showing it off to people. Still, you're hung up on things like numbers of visitors and people "liking" it on Facebook and tweeting about it and etc. As a memorial website, it should be for the people who actually knew her, and for all of the information on the site, it doesn't actually say anything about her.

It doesn't tell people what kind of person your mum was, it doesn't have any touching stories about her from your youth, and aside from the logo, it doesn't even have any pictures of her. In all honesty, it seems more focused on you than anything. "Talk to me," Look at my random blog, Read my Best Man's speech. The extent of what you learn about her is that she smiled a lot, she liked walks, and she died of cancer.

The presentation of it is almost commercial. It should be about sharing who she was, and what made her special. Instead you have a tiny picture of her and a huge banner that says "1000 visitors". Even your "About Me" page contains information on your girlfriend, but says absolutely nothing about your relationship with your mother.

It's not to say that what you're doing in making a memorial site is wrong, but that you are going about it in a very limited and inaccessible way.

This is the sort of feedback I wanted, so I don't consider you the "bad guy" - it's constructive criticism and that's what I asked for; I won't be a dick about it.

In response to it seemingly being more focused on me more than anything - it's how I got through it. Everything you read is what I've had to endure and so I write it from my own perspective. The reason for the best man speech is because it mentions my Mum and I thought it would interest people to read what I had to say about her within it.

As for spelling or grammar errors - I do check it before publishing it online but sometimes a couple of errors do manage to get through.

I have to agree about the lack of pictures, information about her or the relationship I had with her and that is definitely something I'll begin to change now - so thanks for the feedback.

I'm sorry for your loss, and it's a very good idea.

I think there might be something wrong with the 'horrible time' bit of the Christmas paragraph though, I think it should say less horrible?

I'm sorry for your loss, and it's a very good idea.

I think there might be something wrong with the 'horrible time' bit of the Christmas paragraph though, I think it should say less horrible?

Correct, well spotted! No idea how that managed to get through....

Back