National Anthems

In what sense do americans have too much pride? IMO they just get emotional and because they are a super power they get mad when someone attacks them. but ..

Is there an "I want to die for my country" culture? I really doubt that...

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Oh and you tend to find that weaker countries are more patriotic. Probably encouraged by their governments actually... Well yeah... the USA is an exception and therefore stands out more.

I think here in Finland everyone is a patriot at some stage, thinking we're better than the Swedish and definately better than the Russians. This maybe because we didn't get our country annexed by the Soviets (russians) in the Winter War and the Continuation war. At times we even kicked their asses. One Finn was as good as ten Russians, after all.

As for the Swedish, well, we beat them in the match for gold in 1995 world championsip tournament(hockey). The Swedish dislike has been around before that though, I know. And they speak in a funny way:
:LOL:

/another thread hijack

I should have said arabs, they all seem very racist. It is like they won't even consider accepting the help of anyone that isn't arab.

Well, I will feel bad for you then. I just don't understand why the Iraqi resistance fighters are still around. My only guess would be is that they were brainwashed by Saddam inot hating Americans. That or they distrust any occupying army, no matter what the reason is.
wait, are you saying you actually think the Americans are in Iraq to help? :E

hasan said:
/another thread hijack

wait, are you saying you actually think the Americans are in Iraq to help? :E
Yah, I think we are helping them and it is mutual. We help them and they help us, nothing wrong with that. Or is there?

Foxtrot said:
Well, I will feel bad for you then. I just don't understand why the Iraqi resistance fighters are still around. My only guess would be is that they were brainwashed by Saddam inot hating Americans. That or they distrust any occupying army, no matter what the reason is.

what the hell is so hard to comprehend? would you want <insert country here> occupying your country? For the last time ..THEY DONT WANT YOU THERE! they dont see you as liberators, they dont see you as saviors, they dont see you as the great defender of justice ..they see you as occupiers, nothing else

CptStern said:
what the hell is so hard to comprehend? would you want <insert country here> occupying your country? For the last time ..THEY DONT WANT YOU THERE! they dont see you as liberators, they dont see you as saviors, they dont see you as the great defender of justice ..they see you as occupiers, nothing else
Quit generalizing, it seems like most of them want us there, just a few extremists are still fighting. And if the US was ruled by an opressive dictator that nobody liked and kept killing our people I would sure as hell hope another country would be kind enough to help us, and then set up trade after the war to help out economy.

Atomi said:
I think here in Finland everyone is a patriot at some stage, thinking we're better than the Swedish and definately better than the Russians. This maybe because we didn't get our country annexed by the Soviets (russians) in the Winter War and the Continuation war. At times we even kicked their asses. One Finn was as good as ten Russians, after all.

As for the Swedish, well, we beat them in the match for gold in 1995 world championsip tournament(hockey). The Swedish dislike has been around before that though, I know. And they speak in a funny way:

Haha, we think exactly the same way, that people in Finland speak in a funny way, and that we are better than you. Of course most know you did one hell of a job fighting the Russians, we got our asses kicked at Poltava :(

CptStern said:
they see you as occupiers, nothing else
actualy, there is something else. occupiers and murderes and killers and imperials and conspiarists and everything else :cheese:
Quit generalizing, it seems like most of them want us there, just a few extremists are still fighting.
so it would seem looking through Fox glasses.

So um, mottos aside, how did America help Iraq in anyway?

hasan said:
actualy, there is something else. occupiers and murderes and killers and imperials and conspiarists and everything else :cheese:

so it would seem looking through Fox glasses.

So um, mottos aside, how did America help Iraq in anyway?
We got rid of Saddam and all his thugs.

No you didn't. And I said put mottos aside.

btw, it seems the new government restored "Mawtini" as the new National Antheme. lol.
look what some random internet dude had to say about it:
We do not want an eternal humiliation? What are they talking about?

You don't find lines like that in American aspirations.

We will drink from Death?

Arabs really have a thing for that good old "loser" mentality.

An Arab singing about drinking from death and trying to beat the constant humilation. NICE themes, way to go. Victory and a POSITIVE attitude in all its essence. Why don't they just sing about "i don't want to eat crap and the smell of crap is someday not going to be on me" That says a lot right there.
only two days ago. http://www.albawabaforums.com/read.php3?f=3&i=85791&t=85730

Woo, was prepared to comment on how crappy I consider the English anthem to be (I honestly can't remember most of it), but instead there's yet another political thread in the making! URGH!

Do the moderators do mercy-killings nowadays?

*leaps out of nearby window*

Even if the Coaltion pulled out there'd be outcry because they'd "not be finishing what they started", and no one seems to want to imply that they were "defeated". Not to mention the chaos that'd reign.

My advice? Let the Iraqi's vote for a leader, and let that leader decide on the American/British/etc. presence. If they don't want us, leave and let them sort everything out.

Thing is, we wouldn't do that. Oil plays a big part there too.

Foxtrot said:
What I got out of that article is this: Iraqis now feel safer, it was worth it, and they are now better off. But they want American troops to leave, because they don't like them.

did we read the same article?

"and a solid majority support an immediate military pullout even though they fear that could put them in greater danger"

"Asked whether they view the U.S.-led coalition as "liberators" or "occupiers," 71% of all respondents say "occupiers."

""I would shoot at the Americans right now if I had the chance," says Abbas Kadhum Muia, 24, who owns a bicycle shop in Sadr City, a Shiite slum of 2 million people in Baghdad that was strongly anti-Saddam and once friendly to the Americans. "At the beginning ... there were no problems, but gradually they started to show disrespect (and) encroach on our rights, arresting people."

"In the multiethnic Baghdad area, where a Gallup Poll last summer of 1,178 residents permits a valid comparison, only 13% of the people now say the invasion of Iraq was morally justifiable"

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Well there you have it. Everything said in this thread is based upon steriotypes isnt it :p Just as it allways is....

I mean.. many people here see Americans as being highly conservative proud and uneducated.

Which I know is obviously a Steriotype!

Btw.... I hate steriotypes... They make so many people so hatefull.

Stereotype

What's the national anthem of Sealand?

Space Cowboy said:
And replaced them with thugs like Moqtadar Al-Sadr and Al-Zaqarwi?
They were already there, not much we could do about it. Also, Sadr just seems like he was waiting for the right time to take power, and once Saddam dissapeared he started his crusade.

Stereotype

don't stereotype misspellers ;)
P.S. try to select (what was it called? shadow it) the laughing smiley .. it looks funny.

Space Cowboy said:
And replaced them with thugs like Moqtadar Al-Sadr and Al-Zaqarwi?
bad argument, it's actually FOR the ocupation.

they replaced him with Allawi thug.

Why must a perfectly innocent thread about natonal anthems turn into a Political Brawl!??

Anyway here's Irelands.

Irish version
Sinne Fianna Fáil
A tá faoi gheall ag Éirinn,
buíon d'ár slua
Thar toinn do ráinig chugainn,
Faoi mhóid bheith saor.
Seantír ár sinsir feasta
Ní fhagfar faoin tiorán ná faoin tráill
Anocht a théam sa bhearna bhaoil,
Le gean ar Ghaeil chun báis nó saoil
Le guna scréach faoi lámhach na bpiléar
Seo libh canaidh Amhrán na bhFiann.

English version
Soldiers are we
whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
Some have come
from a land beyond the wave.
Sworn to be free,
No more our ancient sire land
Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
Tonight we man the gap of danger
In Erin's cause, come woe or weal
'Mid cannons' roar and rifles peal,
We'll chant a soldier's song.

jaguar_987 said:
That's why you needed the UK to come hold your hand :p
hey! even badasses need a little help now and then... 'cept for Rambo...

ENGLISH

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

FRENCH

O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!

Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!

Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.

Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
yeah, those are the only words i know, too, hasan...
I actually know
Our home and native land
too .. :p

where is it?

German lyrics Approximate translation
It is important to note that since the second World War the German national anthem has been shortened and now just consists of the Third Stanze. This is because the first, second,and forth stanza were thought of (in Germany--by the Germans) to sound too suprematory which is one of the problems that led them into World War II. Germans disregard the old stanzas and it is considered disrespectful if you sing
it.

First stanza
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
über alles in der Welt,
wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
brüderlich zusammenhält.
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
|: Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
über alles in der Welt! :|

Germany, Germany above all,
above anything in the world,
if it always holds together brotherly
for protection and defense.
From the Meuse to the Neman,
from the Adige to the Belt,
|: Germany, Germany above all,
above anything in the world. :|

Second stanza
Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue,
deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang
sollen in der Welt behalten
ihren alten schönen Klang,
uns zu edler Tat begeistern
unser ganzes Leben lang.
|: Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue,
deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang! :|

German women, German loyalty,
German wine and German songs
shall continue to be held in high
esteem all over the world,
and inspire us to noble deeds
all our lives.
|: German women, german faithfulness,
german wine and german songs! :|

Third stanza, FRG anthem
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
für das deutsche Vaterland!
Danach laßt uns alle streben
brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit
sind des Glückes Unterpfand;
|: blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes,
blühe, deutsches Vaterland. :|

Unity and justice and freedom
for the German fatherland;
This let us all pursue,
brotherly with heart and hand.
Unity and justice and freedom
are the pledge of happiness.
|: Flourish in this blessing's glory,
flourish, German fatherland. :|

Fourth stanza (1921)
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
Und im Unglück nun erst recht.
Nur im Unglück kann die Liebe
Zeigen ob sie stark und echt.
Und so soll es weiterklingen
Von Geschlechte zu Geschlecht:
|: Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
Und im Unglück nun erst recht. :|

Germany, Germany above all,
and during disaster more than ever,
only in disaster can love
show whether it's strong and true;
And so shall the song continue
from generation to generation
|: Germany, Germany above all,
and during disaster more than ever.:|

Yep, Canada's anthem is pretty good. I bit lame and lovey for my tastes, but most anthems are.

why did they remove thee forth stanza? sounds good to me (Actually I quiet like it). just remove the "Germany above all" line and you'll be fine.

No. I would'nt remove it. I would'nt allow its removal.

I have German heritage, and for our National Antheme to be replaced or changed based on some post-1945 fear, is'int going to be good enough for me.

But...glad you like it. :D

heh .. you're german? oh oh .. german heritage. so your ancestors are german?

Back