Need a bit of advice about a new Processor

Warped

Reaction score
Tiger Direct has a Quad Core processor for just $60, which sounds pretty cheap to me

the questions are: can my older rig take one of these? how do you install a processor? and is it worth it, or should I got for a whole new rig at this point??

I've installed Ram, a new power supply, video cards, and thats about as far as my PC knowledge goes.

My specs are: HP Pavilion a1440n with 4GB DDR2 Ram, Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz Dual Core, Nvidia 8800GT, 250GB 7200 HDD, and DVD 16x Supermulti. I have Win Vista 32bit

I've watched a few videos on the subject but I'm totally lost on if I can even do this. Do I need software?? do I need a different version of Windows? any advice would be appreciated

mypc.jpg

You have an intel motherboard. You cannot install an AMD AM2+ processor in that.

You'll need a new motherboard as well if you want to keep your old parts.

You have an intel motherboard. You cannot install an AMD AM2+ processor in that.

You'll need a new motherboard as well if you want to keep your old parts.

oh ok, i imagine Tiger/Newegg has some cheap Intel processors I should look at. Quad Core...is it worth it or should I just wait for something greater??

If I were you I'd edit your SS to block out your product key. Not sure if it matters but it only takes 10 secs.

You'll have to see if the socket of a pentium D will support -

A quick glance, it looks like PentiumD is a LGA 775 socket type: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...+type&aq=f&aqi=g4g-m1&oq=&fp=c26c79a56c95bda8

A new processor would need to be of the same socket type.

Here is a newegg list of LGA 775 processors: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Please take a look at the product descriptions of the CPUs to make sure they don't also require a particular type of RAM or someshit. I'm not familiar with this series of processors, so hold off on buying until you get more advice.

If you can, I would suggest spending money to upgrade to a i5-750 quad-core. Great for the money, and nice to OC too. I highly recommend them.

I'm really happy with my i5-750, but he would also need a new motherboard and new RAM if he got that.

I think he'd be fine throwing a Core 2 Duo in that bitch.

A revised link showing all compatible processors on one page, sorted by most reviewed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...k=False&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=REVIEWS

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the quad this time, unless you're going to upgrade your motherboard and RAM as well.

Is your PC a HP Pavilion Media Center a1440n?
Here it says the board is a P5LP-LE Emery (aka Asus brand). Says supports Pentium D 800 series Smithfield core up to 3.2GHz or Pentium 4 Prescott up to 580 and 670.

However This shows a similar board, P5LP-LE Leonite, supports:
* Core 2 Duo E6x00
* Core 2 Duo E4x00
* Pentium D 9x0 Dual Core
* Pentium D 8xx Dual Core
* Pentium 4 6x1 series
* Celeron D 3xx series

Would have to open up the PC and look at the motherboard for white letters printed on the board. They are usually in between the expansion slots but sometimes by the RAM or IDE cables. You'd be looking for more than just P5LP-LE but if it says Emery, Leonite or any version number. Because it looks like there are different P5LP-LE boards with a different CPU support list.

Even if it's the same socket, to be sure it works it would have to be supported by the HP bios and therefore be in the list of supported CPUs.

Back