Not a "will my rig run max settings" thread. Still need help though!

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
This thread is sort of piggy-backing off of bobtheskulls thread, where I built a rig a suggested it to him. However, as I'm in the process of building one myself, I started modifying my suggestions. This isn't a "will my new rig run BF3 at max settings" thread. Just a few simple questions for some of you more knowledged tech guys. So first, here's the setup:

i7-3770 (non-k, I don't plan on overclocking)
8GB PC1833
GTX680 2GB
Samsung 256 SSD

So here's my questions that the internet can't seem to answer:

1. Do I really need to be that worried about the "ivy bridge heat issue" or is that exclusive to people who push their CPU's to 5.0ghz? This is single-handedly a reason that keeps making me think to just get a i7-2700 instead. But I also hear the heat "threshold" for ivy is a lot higher. Either way, do I worry?

2. Ok I lied, will this set up without overclock be able to play todays games? Not necesarily maxed out, but decently enough?

3. Do I need more RAM, or is 8gb enough? Do I need faster RAM instead? PC2XX?

4. Does anyone miss me on this forum?

Thanks in advance guys! :D

EDIT - For the record, I'm coming up from this rig that I built 6 years ago:

AMD FX-57 Single core processor
ATI x1900
1GB ram
:O

1. No, just get a decent case with a good airflow. Dont buy a cheap case. If you want to be safe, buy a good third party cooler to use instead of intel's stock one. If you do use intel's dont use their themal paste, remove it and use good stuff.
2. Don't be stupid.
3. 8gb is enough. I dont even know what PC1833 is though, is that a typo? When I googled "8gb pc1833, this thread is the top result lol. I'm assuming its supposed to be 1866, which should be fine. Any speed increase by going with faster memory would only be apparent in benchmarks, I doubt you'd notice any improvement in any practical application.
4. Yes, none of our lives were complete during your absence. If you leave again I'll steal your new computer.

Hope that helps.

1. Dualy noted. Thank you! So hows this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160
With this cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

2. I'm really not tech savvy as I used to be. And reviewers on newegg and other forums are such a mixed bag I really don't know what to expect. But I'll take your answer as I'll be ok.

3. Sounds good. It's the one above 1600. Maybe PC is the wrong term. Its the things that go 1333, 1600, 1833, etc.

4. Good, I'll never leave again. You can have my old computer though. It actually runs CS:GO surprisingly well.

:D

Save yourself the money and buy the cooler master hyper 212 cooler. It might not have quite the cooling power that that cooler has, but it's still phenomenal and about $50 cheaper.

As for the case, it's a good case, though getting a little dated, especially for $160. I'd recommend this case or this one for a bit better building experience.

I actually have that exact case myself, best case I've owned. I'd say go with it. Its a beast though, huge and heavy. With all my stuff in it (6 hdds, 2 optical drives, and all the other usual stuff) it probably weighs 60 pounds or so. Still, I'd probably rebuy this case again if I were to build another system, love it.

As for your performance, yeah. Your computer should be able to kick any current game in the balls.

I'd recommend the Corsair Carbide 500R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010
Also available in black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

Directly compared to that Cooler Master, it has better cable routing, is more compact, more fan mount spots, better native SSD support, LED and multi-level fan controls built in. It also has mesh dust trays on the top, front, and side, that are easily removable for cleaning. And the thumb screws in the back are strung to the case so you won't lose them :)

500R is just a more modern, smarter design at a better price.

Totally agree with Higlac on the cooler, can't really go wrong with the 212 unless your case can't fit it.

As for myself, I have an Azza Solano 1000r case. The huge side fan means the 212 won't fit, but very nice build quality, USB 3.0 front ports, superb airflow, and tons of room for big GPUs has made it a great purchase for me.

Oh wow. Thanks for all the help guys! The 212 cooler and vegetas case recommendations just saved me 100 bucks.(Not that I don't love your case Krynn, that corsair is a sexy beast though)

Vegeta what kind of fan set up on the case do you recommend?

I'm really no cooling expert. I replaced the stock front and back fans with Scythe fans recommended to me by Viperidae, but that's probably not really necessary. Viper just is really into fans and insists on that kind of thing.
Since my PC is sitting on a brick surface, I mounted the PSU with the fan facing downward. So I've got the 2 front intake fans and 1 back exhaust plus the side fan. I don't use the top fans because I have my keyboard on it, and I'm not sure if it would benefit the airflow much. So, I think the stock fan setup would do you fine.

I'd recommend the Corsair Carbide 500R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010
Also available in black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

Directly compared to that Cooler Master, it has better cable routing, is more compact, more fan mount spots, better native SSD support, LED and multi-level fan controls built in. It also has mesh dust trays on the top, front, and side, that are easily removable for cleaning. And the thumb screws in the back are strung to the case so you won't lose them :)

500R is just a more modern, smarter design at a better price.
That case is pretty dope, looks like a better value than the Cooler Master one too. That said, how is the cable routing any better? On mine, pretty much every cable is routed behind the MB tray except for the motherboard power cables. Everything else is totally out of the way. How much better than "totally out of the way" can it get? Also, more fan mounts is irrelevant, as you dont need more fan mounts with this case's airflow. The three 230mm fans are more than adequate, and its got one more 140mm fan for good measure. Unless you're installing a toaster oven in there too, you wont need more fan mounts.

That case is pretty dope, looks like a better value than the Cooler Master one too. That said, how is the cable routing any better? On mine, pretty much every cable is routed behind the MB tray except for the motherboard power cables. Everything else is totally out of the way. How much better than "totally out of the way" can it get?
Well, someone said it in a thread I read comparing these exact 2 cases. Judging from the pictures, I think the Carbide has more spots for the cables to go through?

That case is pretty dope, looks like a better value than the Cooler Master one too. That said, how is the cable routing any better? On mine, pretty much every cable is routed behind the MB tray except for the motherboard power cables. Everything else is totally out of the way. How much better than "totally out of the way" can it get? Also, more fan mounts is irrelevant, as you dont need more fan mounts with this case's airflow. The three 230mm fans are more than adequate, and its got one more 140mm fan for good measure. Unless you're installing a toaster oven in there too, you wont need more fan mounts.

The corsair cases fit everything behind the mobo, and have neat gasket type things to hide excess cable, so everything is neat and tidy.

One thing I regret about my case is how bloody big it is. Sure, it's impressive and has a lot of room for everything, but it's a pain in the ass to take to lan parties or even move a couple inches. That's why I recommended that smaller corsair case. Plenty of airflow, great cable management, and room enough for expansion.

I wish I had friends that did lan parties. So sick of playing with idiots on the internet. :nah:

Its weird that LAN parties still exist using Desktop machines. Just get a gaming laptop ffs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146072

This is my case and it is very sexy, except i got it in white, I can see that the black is sexy too. It has a bit a space between the MB fram and the back panel so I was able to fit all of my cables there. I have built many computers and this provided the cleanest looking cable job and was really easy to put together. It's got these cheap clips for the drive bays but it also has holes where you can just use screws. It has a convenient bar inside that holds a bunch of thumbscrews. Highly recommended!!

It also has removable front fans that fit in a socket and are easy to remove and clean. You can even take them out while it's running and it won't affect anything. They are easy to take apart and replace the actual fan as well.

Build looks really good otherwise. I wouldn't build that without a Corsair modular PSU though. PSU is the MOST important thing you buy when putting a rig together.. Many people choose to overlook it.

I would also recommend the Crucial M4 over you Samsung SSD, but I'm sure the Samsung will be worth it. Their HDDs are pretty reliable.

Perfect! You could actually run it with 750w but 850 is safer if you want to add more cards later

Awesome. Thanks for all the help guys! Ive been coming here for almost 10 years and this forums probably helped me build at least 8 rigs. Haven't done one in years so its nice to know I can still come back and be a pain in the ass. :)

Back