Random questions that didnt each deserve a separate thread

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Hey again!

So I didn't want to make a separate thread for each of these random questions so if anyone has answers, to any of them, feel free to chime in.

1. I purchased Windows 7 OEM 64bit. If I reformat my computer, will I be able to reinstall windows? Or because it's OEM will I have to buy another disk? I really am trying to avoid having to "upgrade" to windows 8.

2. Since being on my new rig with 64 bit windows, I tried installing Far Cry 2 to tide me over til Far Cry 3. Having a GTX680, I went into settings and cranked everything up to max. When I chose the option to go from DX 9 to DX 10 it told me I had to restart the game for changes to take effect. No problem! I exit and go to restart. The Far Cry 2 "splash screen" or whatever you call it comes up, screen goes blank for less than a second as if it were loading into the game, and then nothing. Back to desktop. Ive tried running in windows 7 compatibilty mode. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Nothing. Goes from splash screen to nothing. Any ideas?

3. I have PC12800 1866mhz ram. My computer is only recognizing it as 1600. How can I change it to run at its full potential? My motherboard supports it.

4. Is anyone hungry? I'm starving...

2. I had a similar issue with Bioshock and Far Cry 2 a while back. The way I fixed it was to disabled certain Tablet PC components in Windows 7 (weird I know but it fixed the problem). To give it a try, go into your Control Panel and click 'Uninstall a Program' and then ''Turn Windows Features On or Off' and uncheck the Tablet PC optional components. You can always turn them back on later if you need them for any reason, but it solved the black startup problem for me.

NOTE: I don't get the same issue anymore, so it may be something that was fixed in a driver or windows update.

4. Yes.

1) Yes, you can just reinstall it with that product key.
3) Are you super, super sure it supports it? Do you have a link to the exact motherboard and ram you bought?

3. Yeah it should support it. Hrm. Have you checked the bios options? A lot of Asus boards let you edit stuff like that in their bios. I forget which key Asus uses to boot to Bios, probably F2 or something.
4. I'm not hungry. Just ate a Chicken Parmesan grinder with curly fries. I'm stuffed.

3. Go into BIOS and manually set the DRAM frequency. There should be an XMP profile for it though.

4. Absolutely. I'm going to go get some Chinese, and if it's closed I'm gonna get Taco Bell instead.

Back