Need a new graphics card!

H

highe5

I am running a P4 8S661FXMP-RZ 3000mHZ with (up till now) a Radeon 9800XT/256MB and have had no problems with HL2 (only a couple of freeze problems in TR Anniverasy, but nothing to get me stressed).

However, my Radeon 9800XT has just decided to give out on me (boo-hoo!) so I need to get a new graphics card...

Can anyone recommend a good / stable card so I can play my newly purchased Orange Box update to HL2 - I am prepared to spend a couple of hundred UK pounds if neccessary.

Thanx

a 7600gt should be good if you can find an agp variant.

You can get the 8800gt 512mb for dirt cheap now, think its like ?150 or something now???

***king bargain, which I went for, so glad.

If you still need AGP, go with one of the ATi 3850's.
Or if you need a cheap PCI-E, I'd go with either the 8800GT or 9600GT

The guy's using pounds, US stores aren't gonna be much use.

a 7600gt should be good if you can find an agp variant.

That would be my choice. Seems like a good match with the proc. Anything more would be pushing it. And like Giant said, you probably need an AGP card, not a PCIe.

The 7600gt gives basically 9800XT performance (a hair more).

The 7600gt gives basically 9800XT performance (a hair more).
I really don't know where you got that information, but it is very, very false.

Edit: Sorry, thought you meant the 9800GX2, my bad.

It's an eBay store and it's brand new. Really don't see the problem, especially at that price.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys!

I have a AGP slot but I'll have to check if I have a PCIe slot as well for choice, but thanks again for all your advice, I'll go searching!

PCI-E will give you a much better choice of decent performance cards, AGP is kinda obsolete now id say...

8800GT all the way, bloody hell those prices are dirt cheap now! I bought my old 9800pro for more than that about 3 years ago!!!!

radeon 9800xt = 7600gt??? i dont think so. the 9800 =6600gt. 7600gt = 6800GT/x850

Hmm.. looks like I don't have a PCIe slot, so it's back to AGP!

Any more tips for a AGP card?

Is it just me or have GPU prices come down a shitload in relative terms?

Hmm.. looks like I don't have a PCIe slot, so it's back to AGP!

Any more tips for a AGP card?
Like Dan mentioned, one of the ATi 3850's would be a good bet. The Radeon x1950 AGP (my card) is also a great card but the driver support from ATi is piss poor atm, so I don't know if I can recommend it in good faith.

I think Nvidia were also supposed to release AGP versions of some of their higher end cards (8x00 series) iirc, but I dunno if that ever happened, maybe someone else knows.

I wouldn't worry too much about bottlenecking. Your processor may bottleneck a higher end card, sure, but in my experience if you buy a weaker card out of fear of CPU bottlenecking, then you'll probably see a bigger performance deficit than if you just say **** it and buy the best AGP card you can.

Back